Loving Low G!!

bynapkinart

Reaction score
I put a set of Worth Low G's on my tenor a couple of days ago and I'm blown away by the combination. Similar tone but completely different approach to the ukulele. I had no idea...I tried stringing my last tenor up Low G but because there were so many issues with the uke itself I never really took to it. The Worths absolutely sing on the Fender; the whole instrument is louder, deeper, and complex than it was when it was strung with Aquilas.

I guess now the only question is, does anyone find that they have slightly different ways to play certain chords because the droning Low G is a little bit more in the way than a reentrant G? Not by any means a problem, just something that I'm noticing more and more as I get into it.

Hi Ben,

Yes, I have my tenor strung w/ low G Aquilas and I really like the sound for jazzy chords (sevenths, ninths, etc) and swing style songs with the extra warmth you get. But the open low G string can be a bit overwhelming on my uke, so I tend to play fewer of the open string chords which ring so wonderfully on my re-entrant tuned concert. Having those few extra notes below middle C really changes the character of the instrument, doesn't it?

~Nick

Aloha,
I know exactly what you're saying. I found the same thing and adjusted it by adding the g string at what ever fret it sounds good on. For instance, Em(0432) is played 4432, Em7-5(0201) is 3201, A7 is played as an A, especially while using a picking pattern instead of strumming. The results are stunning as the low g carries the bass line to compliment the song. Hope this helps. As locals would say,"try anykine" till you like it.........................BO.................

It would be great to make a low g friendly chord chart!

Yes I know they are the same chords but chords sound better when the root is the lowest. So a chart that uses moveable chords instead of open chords would be better cool for low g.

Last edited:
I just learned a couple of Wilco songs by reading the guitar chords and transposing them to uke via a little interpretation on my part and they sound awesome. When my throat recovers from this cold I have, I'll record a few videos with the new uke!

I have a feeling that as a guitar convert, I would enjoy low G. But I'm going to not do it until I have enough money to get a second tenor uke. Gonna stick with high G until then.
Oh, but you already know you want another uke for low G, so the seed has been planted! :)

I love them both!

OP, not an answer to your question, but have you tried what Iz does on SOTR where he hits a note on the low G string, then strums the top ones?

Now that you are brave enough to use the tuning which was heard on the first broadcast from Hawaii to the mainland in 1939, take another quantum leap and drop the G to an F. Leave C. Pull E up to an F. Leave A. FCFA is an open tuned F chord. DGBE tuning becomes CGCE as an open C chord. The IV is barr the 5th fret, and the V is to barr the 7th fret. Explore barr 2nd fret and 4th fret. Yes, there are shaped chords such as 0201 and 2423 [barr 2nd fret and just play the 0201 positions] . Drop the first string a half step and you have a smooth minor key. IV is still barr the 5th fret and the V becomes 7778.

Top Bottom