What to do on Kauai?

UkuleleAdventure

Reaction score
I'm going to Kauai for vacation, and was wondering if anyone has any notable experiences as far as ukulele shopping and performances, as well as all around fun things to do in Kauai. Also, any suggestions on good food.

Thanks,
Kyle

YES! Go see Aldrine at the Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa, he plays Happy Hour at the Oasis Restaurant on Wednesday nights at 5:00 to 6:00 if its busy he"ll play later, then go get a shave ice and a puka dog!!!

Last edited:
Love kauai

I have done tours by ATV, ultralight, helicopter, and biplane. I want to try a zipline tour they have near the northside. If you are going during whale season, you can sometimes see them right from the shore. The island really has the laid-back island feel. Try the pizza at Brick Oven in Kapaa. We have gone to Oahu, Mauai, and Kauai. Kauai is our favorite.

Waimea Canyon is beautiful, and there is a great shave ice place the town of Waimea named Jo Jo's. Don't miss that!

–Lori

Attachments

• canyon-pano-1.jpg
    canyon-pano-1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 16
  • waimea-pano-2b.jpg
    waimea-pano-2b.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
I would go island hopping!! For me, Kauai was a little too laid back...I felt like everything closed at 8PM.

I love Kauai! Rent a Jeep and drive out to Polihale Beach. It's incredible. Waimea Canyon is beautiful, and there are a lot of great hikes in the area. Take a tour of the Allerton Garden on the south shore. A helicopter tour of the island is a great way to start off your trip. You'll get to see the whole island including the NaPali coast and the volcano at he center of the island.

Make reservations for dinner one night at The Beach House Restaurant on the south shore. Amazing view! The meal I enjoyed most was a plate lunch from a place in Koloa.

I saw a slack key guitar concert up in Hanalei that I really enjoyed. Kauai is such a beautiful island. You'll love it.

My recommendation is to get a uke of your own, finid a shady spot on the island, and serenade the chickens.

Check out Akaka Falls and the Hawaiian Botanical gardens right near the falls!! Of course, spend time at Piopu Beach, it's FANTASTIC!!!! Just wickedwahine!!!

I'm going to Kauai for vacation, and was wondering if anyone has any notable experiences as far as ukulele shopping and performances, as well as all around fun things to do in Kauai. Also, any suggestions on good food.

Thanks,
Kyle

Larry's Music - There's one in Kapaa and one in Koloa. You might run into Sam Bonanno (Kamoa) but more likely Georgiane in Koloa and Joe in Kapaa. Let them know you're a UU'er. Great people!!

Ditto the recommendations for Larry's Music (Sam and his mom and dad are wonderful people) -- the Kapa'a store has a bigger selection but it can be tough to find parking on occasion there.

You also can't miss with the Brick Oven Pizza recommendation -- I like the one in Kalaheo and it is near Scotty's Music for more uke shopping.

My hands down fave spot in Kauai though is the bar at Keoki's Paradise. They have a frozen mai tai that is to die for, it is always my first stop from the airport and often my last stop on the way back to the airport.

Pukadogs are quite good, but if you want a great hamburger, drive up to Anahola for Duane's Ono Charburger. They have a local boy with teriyaki sauce and pineapple that is super yummy. The seating is not great though so I usually get my burger to go and drive down to the nearby beach and eat it there.

If you miss Aldrine at the Waipouli show, I think he performs sometimes by the pool at the Sheraton on Friday nights.

Waimea Canyon is beautiful and you can't go to Kauai without touring the Na Pali coast by boat or helicopter. I've done both and much prefer the boat ride option.

If you have a Costco card, bring it you can get your cheap staples like bottled water there and it is a lot cheaper than ABC stores. If not, there is a Walmart in Lihue where you can stock up on supplies pretty cheap.

And if you like koa wood, you can get some really nice boxes and pieces at the Koa Store - they have a location in Koloa, as well as one near Lihue/Kapa'a. They are a lot cheaper than Martin and Macarthur and you can get nice jewelry boxes, clocks, letter openers, jewelry, etc. from them.

Finally, have a fantastic time. Kauai is my favorite place in all the world. I go as often as I can but still get jealous of anyone who is currently on their way over there. :)

I ALWAYS stop here a few times while I'm on the island: Fish Express, 3343 Kuhio Hwy.

The zip line tour on the north shore is awesome. I think it is Princeville ranch or something. The shrimp shack has great coconut shrimp, good stop if you are going the Wiamea canyon. Some nice snorkeling on the south side near poipu. The beach house recommendation seconded. Man I wish I had a trip planned, have fun.

You might want to try snorkeling--it is a great place to do that (or surfing). I spent a wonderful 10 days on Kauaii last May and can't wait to return. It may be laid back but it sure is heaven!! Don't miss the fresh pineapple at the farmers' markets--never tasted pineapple that good before or since!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Oh yes, if you are into photography, you will find lots of wonderful subjects to shoot. Don't miss the sunrises and sunsets. Amazing!

+ 1 on the boat tour up the Na Pali coast. I did tour with "Captain Andy's Tours" and they did such an amazing job....small boat, friendly captain and no rush....made us feel like we were out with friends for a boat tour. I was just there in December and the boat tour was a highlight for me!

Not sure when you are going, but we went in early March a couple of years ago. Rained every day. But we loved the island. Princeville is a great area (where we stayed). The canyon on the south west side was absolutely beautiful until it rained so hard we could not see through our windshield. Wish I knew about Aldrine when we went, but I just purchased my first uke from the Big Island the week before and did not know anything. Definitely try the zip line (have a few wife stories about that one) and the ATV ride (the longest one) was fantastic. Expect to get wet!!!!

Dan

what is the scuba diving like on Kaua'i? would love to go there

As of now I am for sure snorkeling tunnels beach, going to waimea canyon, seeing aldrine, having a puka dog, and maybe a helicopter tour. Any more "must-do" suggestions.
Thanks guys,
Kyle

Top Bottom