is there any cool Uke stores/spots in Kona?

Not really. There is the Ukulele gallery in nearby Holoalua however. A tiny, unique shop owned by builder Sam Rosen, it carries a lot of the ukes built by our guild members. It's all hand crafted stuff here. Sam is an interesting guy and can give you the scoop on any ukulele happenings on the west end of the island, including the kanikapila gathering at the Keauhou Outrigger. If you've got the time you can even inquire about building an uke with him. The other retail uke shops in Kona all have the same tired offerings you'll find anywhere else.

Not really. There is the Ukulele gallery in nearby Holoalua however. A tiny, unique shop owned by builder Sam Rosen, it carries a lot of the ukes built by our guild members. It's all hand crafted stuff here. Sam is an interesting guy and can give you the scoop on any ukulele happenings on the west end of the island, including the kanikapila gathering at the Keauhou Outrigger. If you've got the time you can even inquire about building an uke with him. The other retail uke shops in Kona all have the same tired offerings you'll find anywhere else.

thanks for the info chuck :)

+1 on visiting Sam Rosen in Holoalua. He was nice to meet and see his shop. And he had some remarkable Woodly White tenors for sale a few months back...

We really enjoyed meeting Sam too. As well we've been having a great time attending the weekly uke meetups at the Outrigger hotel.

I posted back in December about what I found, but cannot locate my post. I second heading mauka in Holualoa to see Sam's place. And there is another kanikapila at the International Market every Friday at 10AM. May have been our last visit to the Big Island as my wife wants to see more of the other islands. Aloha.

If you find your way to Hilo, stop and see Ken Cameron at Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles. He has a great uke selection.

Here's a list of uke stores on the Big Island. There are a couple in Kona area ie Music Exchange and Sounds Wave.

http://liveukulele.com/big-island-music-stores/

I'll definitely have to keep the kanikapila at the Outrigger in mind since it's about a 15min walk from my sister's condo. :)

Is it every Wednesday at 6pm?

Last edited:
If you find your way to Hilo, stop and see Ken Cameron at Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles. He has a great uke selection.

I totally agree, that should be added to Sam's shop. The only reason I didn't mention it was because it's on the other side of the island.
BTW, The OP asked about "cool" stores. There a lots of places that sell ukes on the Big island including Walmart and Costco. Word of caution: When you go shopping for an uke, buy one from someone who either plays or builds them. Just my three cents worth.

Top Bottom