It's been three whole years.

lorrinhiggins

Reaction score
I started playing ukulele on Christmas day, playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on my brand new Kala pineapple ukulele on speaker for the entire family get-together while my cousin sang along on a microphone.

It's been three years since then, and one new ukulele has been bought (concert Oscar Schmidt), a capo, plenty of chord books and no new strings (knock on wood), and I couldn't imagine my life without a uke.

How long has everyone else been playing?

Oh, my family knows it's not a fad for me.
I've even gotten a couple of old high school friends into it, and given some lessons.

You should change those strings. Just sayin. Probably make your uke sounds brand new again (or even better). BTW, since June 2011.

Last edited:
Short answer, since April 2010 plus about 3 months.

Received a soprano Hohner as a Xmas present in 2009, played it for several months and even wore into the neck on the first two frets. The tuning is a nightmare though. Had the action lowered by having a luthier cut a deeper groove in the nut for each string, but it's still a nightmare for tuning. Opened strings are in tune, and playing all strings down sounds fine, but mix an open string with a fretted string and ... ouch. Almost seems like the string is resting on the far side of the nut, as if there is too much space between the nut and first fret.

So anyway, in April 2011 I bought a tenor Kala and have been playing daily ever since. Always get in a bare minimum of three chord changes before leaving the house in the morning. In early November 2011 I purchased a ubass, acoustic fretless and mostly play that at the uke jams. Helps a lot to keep the group together and is a nice contrast to the upper register of the ukuleles. The other players often comment they appreciate having a bass. Still kind of rusty with it, but had many years of experience as a major instrument in college in the '80s. No problem playing 1 5 1 5, and a few passing tones. "Showed off" with a walking bass line in one song at the jam the other day. It's coming back, slowly but surely.

It's been exactly 5 years since I first picked up a ukulele (Jan, 2007). I've enjoyed learning and playing (not to mention buying) the ukulele immensely and will be playing it for life.

I think it was January, 2010. I still have a lot to learn - but at least my wife, who would like to keep things somewhat neat around my desk, said that I pretty much could keep the music books nearby (despite the large stack of them) because she said that I use them all the time.

August 23rd 2007, a 50th birthday present. The crummiest ukulele ever made, but the greatest gift ever given!

My Uke Day (first time I played a uke): Nov. 30, 2011
My uke's "birthday" (completion date at Kanile'a): Aug. 14, 2011

Around a year. I think it was the second or third week in february when I got my first uke. A not very nice sounding Lanikai LU-21.

I got a Kala tenor spruce top cut-away for my birthday in October. As corny as it sounds, picking up the uke has really pushed my life in a fairly different direction.

15th June 2011, i bought myself a Dolphin and i am hooked

Top Bottom