What's the general feeling about fretboard inlay stickers

I guess my feeling is "why?"

You know some guys put stickers on the body of a uke. Why not on the fret board. A touch of individualism.

I guess what I meant by why is if you want to do that, then absolutely do it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. After all, it is your uke, and whatever you do to it that you like is great.

I actually have some stickers on my performance uke. I got some of those MOP looking ones shaped like Sakura flowers and leaves from Jockomo in Japan. I love 'em. I put them on the body in a pattern resembling the Hawaiian Islands.

I had them on the fretboard covering the plastic dots fret markers, too. Looked good to me, but those started peeling pretty quickly so they're gone.

If you like stickers try them out. As long as you get ones that either come off without any damage to your uke or stickers about which you will never change your mind.

I actually have some stickers on my performance uke. I got some of those MOP looking ones shaped like Sakura flowers and leaves from Jockomo in Japan. I love 'em. I put them on the body in a pattern resembling the Hawaiian Islands.

I had them on the fretboard covering the plastic dots fret markers, too. Looked good to me, but those started peeling pretty quickly so they're gone.

If you like stickers try them out. As long as you get ones that either come off without any damage to your uke or stickers about which you will never change your mind.

Great. I was sondering how easily the fretboard ones start peeling due to constant finger wear and string bending.

I'm not really a fan. But if you want to, it's your uke! Do whatever you want to it.

I have some of the Jockomo stickers too. At this point, I've only used the rosette one and I love it. It's on a Kala travel and sometimes people ask me where I got it inlaid. A close inspection easily shows it's a sticker but from a few feet away it looks great. I bought some of the fretboard stickers but haven't decided which uke to put them on so I can't speak to how long they last under the abuse they would get under the strings.

Nix

I have stickers on the fretboards of my Risa stick and my Eleuke. I like them a lot. Until recently, my Risa was my most played uke, and the stickers have held up very well.

It depends on the uke too. On some, you do want to keep them "pure" to maintain it's authentic character. But some ukes just WANT to be stickered, and can make you play them more! :D

Sorta Like tattoo's...some Like them and other not... they sort of give a personal and individual touch.....

these stickers have been on my beater uke for a couple years

Attachments

• CIMG3282..jpg
    CIMG3282..jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG3101.jpg
    CIMG3101.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 39

How about posting a pic of that? Sounds neat!

Where do you get uke stickers?

I actually put some scrapbooking stickers on a student dulcimer. Really dressed it up.

Picture 008.jpg

Here's a picture of the inlay stickers I used on my Tenor Ukulele. I bought the tree of life inlays by Jockomo and they have been on there for quite a while now (about a year now). There hasn't been any peeling or anything and I'm pleasantly surprised too because I do a lot of jake shimabukuro, instrumentals and blues solos which includes a lot of bends but still, no peeling whatsoever. There is an exception but that was due to my friend accidentally disturbing me while I was putting it on at the time. Apart from that, it is all good.

As for the feel, it generally doesn't feel like much if you put it on neatly but there's always going to be that constant fear on the back of your mind about whether or not what you do will peel it. You'll just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Here's a few shots of my wife's Pono Tenor Koa after I gave it the "treatment." Looks great, plays great.

Headstock.jpg

Neck.jpg

Body.jpg

I am interested in stickers as well. I just bought a "Maestro" tenor uke. It is like a big "Vita Uke". It came with no fretboard markers for the 5th, 7th, and 10th frets. I can generally find my place without them, but having the markers helps me when I am playing up and down the neck. I was worried about them coming off as well.

I also want one for the headstock. The uke is a blem, and "Maestro" brand name in gold leaf/paint is flaking. I would just as soon cover that thing up. Not a brand I particularly want to advertise anyway, although the sound on the instrument is pretty good.

I put the MOP markers on my Martin S-O and it really dressed up the plain fretboard. I had no problems with them at all.

Has anybody put these on the plastic fretboard of a Flea or Fluke? I have a Flea on order but it hasn't arrived so I don't know if the plastic fretboard is textured or if it is smooth enough to be sticker friendly. I have some adorable turtle fret marker stickers from Jockomo that I have been saving for just the right uke :eek:

Nix

Top Bottom