PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Myrtle Wood

ukebuilder
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
You ever find a piece of wood and wish you had a truck load of the same stuff so you could sell it all off and retire? Well I found the most figured piece of myrtle I have ever seen. I buy this stuff rough sawn so you never really know what your getting as figure goes till its cut or sanded. I just cut into it today and it is going to be a pain to work with.

Chopped Liver
01-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Wow! That's gonna be a gorgeous uke!

Pete Howlett
01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
That's a great table top! No-one in their right mind would use it for anything else.....

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
That's a great table top! No-one in their right mind would use it for anything else.....

Yep, I'm afraid Pete's right. Maybe it'll be OK for a peghead veneer.
Folks, you've got to first choose wood for it's tonal properties. If it's passed that test and it's pretty wood as well, then so much the better.

ukebuilder
01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes, it is going to be an overlay. It is just a big chunk of myrtle burl. Looks great but will not work for a body. I was even thinking about cutting a few fret boards and sending them in to get stabilized. I am not sure how they hold up after stabilizing but I am sure the resin they use would make it hard as heck Anyone ever done that with any success?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Try saturating it with thin ca glue. It looks like it would soak it up like a sponge.

ukebuilder
01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes it would, When I cut it, it was like a fiber moss and not sawdust. Crazy stuff. Yes when I saw it I knew it was great to look at but as dead as drift wood for tone. Just wanted to use it for how great it looked. I have a buddy that makes knives and when I get wood that is dead and not good for what I so I give it to him. It works out as I get custom knives all the time for all the wood I give him. I gave him some myrtle the other day because it was not quarter swan and he was totally excited. I have often wanted to use odd woods for fret boards but allays the worry about them holding up. I have wondered if stabilizing them would make them last over time. We have a local guy that impregnates them with a resign and it makes them hard as heck but not sure how that would work for a fret board. My knife making buddy uses him all the time. Have to try it out. I was just trying to see who would even try to bend it by asking. I make a fan tail type stum stick and was thinking about an over lay on the bottom of it over maple, like a vernier but it would need to be bent. Would not effect the sound at all just for looks. No a uke wood for me anyway.

tattwo
01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you have any pics of your builds?

ukebuilder
01-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Here is a link to a few on photo bucket. I would have tuns more pics but my laptop died and we have not got the stuff of the hard drive yet. I have made many kinds but I will say I am new to ukes. I have made many ukes from cigar boxes but not traditional ones. I have also made a few things for friends like the thickness sander for lamination's out of aluminum and a pipe rack for a buddy from some great walnut. Also made a few selfbows for some archery friends.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/Mr_Havoc/My%20Builds/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20