Anyone with really old strings?

mr moonlight

Reaction score
So I'm moving in about a week and as I'm going through all my stuff I unearthed a new set of Aquila Tenor strings. A full standard set plus a low G. I don't use Aquilas anymore so I figured I'll give them away to a needy soul. So if you want them, reply to this thread with the age of your uke strings. Whoever has the oldest set of strings when I check back on this thread (it will be some random time today) gets the strings.

Only in the U.S. please... and no cheatin!:p

Well, I could use them, but my string aren't old, since I just started playing. My uke has Aquilas, and I like them, so when I need to replace them I'll stay with Aquilas. If you want to get rid of them and no one else speaks up who needs strings now, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Whaaaa??? No one needs a set of Aquilas?

My shoe strings are over 5 years old, does that count?

Whaaaa??? No one needs a set of Aquilas?

There seems to be less traffic in the forums during the workday (in U.S.time zones), and even less traffic on Fridays. You may get a flurry of responses later this evening. Also, your heading doesn't really indicate that you're giving something away. I have some old-ish strings, but I'm going to opt out of this giveaway, as I already have a bunch of replacement strings and so, at least on the issue of strings, I don't really qualify as a "needy soul."

Mahalo for your generosity and aloha spirit!

I have 3-year-old strings on at least two ukes. They sound fine. I have 6-month-old strings on one and it sounds worse than it did with the old ones.

My shoe strings are over 5 years old, does that count?

I didn't really specify did I. Hmmmmm. So if you need a set of Aquilas, they're yours. Otherwise they go to our second oldest set of strings owned by micahlele!

Too bad iChadwick you're in Canada. Don't have enough extra stamps for the postage.

I'm Canadian, so I don't count, but I just have to tell you (shamefacedly) that the strings on my very first ukulele, a Classic soprano, are the originals. I was given the ukulele when I was about eight, and no one ever told me that strings needed to be changed. The uke is still at my parents' place; I visit it whenever I go home. In fact, I'll be seeing it tomorrow. Considering that I am now thirty-seven, those strings are about twenty-nine years old.

You may start throwing things at me now.

I'm Canadian, so I don't count, but I just have to tell you (shamefacedly) that the strings on my very first ukulele, a Classic soprano, are the originals. I was given the ukulele when I was about eight, and no one ever told me that strings needed to be changed. The uke is still at my parents' place; I visit it whenever I go home. In fact, I'll be seeing it tomorrow. Considering that I am now thirty-seven, those strings are about twenty-nine years old.

You may start throwing things at me now.

Woah! If I had a set of Soprano's I'd make an exception for you and pick up some more stamps!!!! That's not just old, that's vintage!

Woah! If I had a set of Soprano's I'd make an exception for you and pick up some more stamps!!!! That's not just old, that's vintage!

Those strings have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. They watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

I would just like to add that I am not normally that cruel to my ukes. When I moved across the country, I owned two ukes; since I was trying to travel light, I took the concert and left the soprano at home. My parents just kind of left it out in the open (it never had a case), and now I think the neck is warped; at any rate, it won't play in tune. I feel terrible about it. It was my first uke, and though it wasn't a great instrument, I loved it anyway. (I still do, but I wish it were playable.) Every time I see it, I have an urge to apologise.

Those strings have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. They watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

The original strings that Hendrix played on were still on his Woodstock guitar when it was put up for auction. The tech who cleaned up the guitar cut those strings off and threw them away. Of course you can still keep your strings for the memories and give your uke new life with a new set. It's a win win situation.

Top Bottom