Donaldson Ukulele

Just contacted Brad yesterday and put my name on his production schedule.

Very excited.

It will be my first ever custom built instrument of any kind.

Congratulations! What is he going to make for you? Details!

–Lori

Oooooh. I've also been thinking about a custom, but have just started saving, and I also have no idea what it would look like. Bradford is at the top of my list, though, so I would also be interested in details...

A tenor for sure. High G 4th string

Still thinking through it.

I know I want it to have a very clear sound.

Many acoustic string instruments have a tubbiness in the 400 to 600 Hz frequencies. So I'll be interested to hear Brad's thoughts on what woods to use.

I was thinking Bamboo would bo nice because of its eco-friendliness. But I don't think it will give me the bight, clear sound I'm looking for.

(I don't think I hear what everyone else hears when they use the word bright).

Wold welcome any and all ideas and suggestions.

Congrats on the order, His ukes are great. I think of Ceder for the top when I want bright.

Brad will help you with your choice. He is very good at artfully choosing wood grains, and combining them on his ukes. You might consider myrtle wood, and possibly maple, as well as the cedar/ spruce tops.

–Lori

A tenor for sure. High G 4th string

Still thinking through it.

I know I want it to have a very clear sound.

Many acoustic string instruments have a tubbiness in the 400 to 600 Hz frequencies. So I'll be interested to hear Brad's thoughts on what woods to use.

I was thinking Bamboo would bo nice because of its eco-friendliness. But I don't think it will give me the bight, clear sound I'm looking for.

(I don't think I hear what everyone else hears when they use the word bright).

Wold welcome any and all ideas and suggestions.

ooooh, don't use bamboo Scott...ouch mate. Eco friendly maybe but a thin, dead sound and poor volume and sustain. Might give you brightness but for brightness read brittle...stay away!!!!!! Aaaarrggghhh...don't get me wrong, most ukes I own are built from brighter tonewoods - sycamore, walnut...I've also owned a couple of solid maple ukes and loved them but there's a fine line

Don't want to tear you away from Brad, but if you want something different, and a bright clear sounding tenor, get the Mya Moe folks to build you one from Sycamore or Walnut...gorgeous tones, it'll ring like a bell.

Anyway congrats on the order Scott, keep us posted mate :)

ooooh, don't use bamboo Scott...ouch mate. Eco friendly maybe but a thin, dead sound and poor volume and sustain. Might give you brightness but for brightness read brittle...stay away!!!!!! Aaaarrggghhh...don't get me wrong, most ukes I own are built from brighter tonewoods - sycamore, walnut...I've also owned a couple of solid maple ukes and loved them but there's a fine line

Don't want to tear you away from Brad, but if you want something different, and a bright clear sounding tenor, get the Mya Moe folks to build you one from Sycamore or Walnut...gorgeous tones, it'll ring like a bell.

Anyway congrats on the order Scott, keep us posted mate :)

Thanks for the input. I've heard enough reservations about bamboo that I'm crossing it off the list.

Brad also waived me away from bamboo.

And I don't want a thin or brittle tone. I just want to dial back the lower mids ever so slightly.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated as decisions are made and the build progresses.

Cedar and Myrtle

I'm on the schedule for a vintage style long neck soprano from Brad... leaning towards a cedar top at the moment.

Gmoneys new Donaldson uke was the one that sent me over the edge, a real classy looking instrument.:drool:

:eek:ld:

My Donaldson is being crafted right now

I got on Brad's build list for a soprano uke last July and we got to choosing wood in December. What with the holidays and his being generous and kind to other luthiers, Brad's still working on my uke. I am being very patient because I love, love, love what's being developed! To commemorate a happy 10 years Mr. T and I spent in the Pacific NW, I asked for a Washington Sitka bearclaw spruce soundboard, with Oregon myrtle back and sides, and not much bling so that the wood would stand out. The binding and rosette are plain walnut.

The woods Brad picked are terrific. The uke body is more beautiful than I had imagined (I can't take my eyes off the spruce!), and his use of the myrtle striping is stunning. I am absolutely thrilled about how it's going.

I can't decide now about the finish. I usually like semi-gloss, but I think this would look great with a gloss finish...I'm still thinking about it.

BD soundboard.jpgBD side 1.jpgBD back.jpgBD side 2.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how long is Brad Donaldson's wait list?

Two weeks ago it was 9 months.

Two weeks ago it was 9 months.

Thanks. That's a pretty good wait. The OP will have ample time to figure out his specs (it can change drastically between order date and build date, depending on the length of the time in between).

To the OP: Did you really start playing the ukulele a month ago? That's very impressive that you not only have a uke podcast but also have a custom uke on order already!

Thanks. That's a pretty good wait. The OP will have ample time to figure out his specs (it can change drastically between order date and build date, depending on the length of the time in between).

To the OP: Did you really start playing the ukulele a month ago? That's very impressive that you not only have a uke podcast but also have a custom uke on order already!

Yes. I have a guitar background so the chording is no biggie (except to keep remembering that D on a guitar is G on Uke). The right hand on the other hand is kicking my butt. Still have days where strumming with my pointer finger doesn't feel natural.

As for the podcast, I was really disappointed that so many Uke podcasts had been abandoned. And I understand why. It's hard to keep coming up with ideas for new episodes. That's why Uke Weekly focuses on news and updates. Because there's always new news:)

I've never owned a custom instrument in my life. I'm simply not willing to part with 4 to 5 grand for a custom acoustic or electric guitar.

But to get a custom uke built expressly for me under $1000. Yeah I'm all about that. I know that I want to do two things. I've seen some turtle inlays on the web so I want to see if that's an option for the fretboard and headstock (and soundhole possibly). And then somewhere on the uke I want 'J.J.' to appear. It's my son's name. And this instrument will be alot like him. Small, bright, and a ton of fun to play with!!! :)

Last edited:
Aloha GT,
My experience with bearclaw spuce is that some are really bright...and I had one that sounded more like a guitar...that was a tenor though...not my favorite on a custom...

If you want to be eco-friendly, use some of the American woods. Myrtle can have every bit as nice of figure as any more exotic wood. Quilted maple can make any other wood look plain. Both Myrtle and Maple hold their own as far as production of sound. I have two identical instruments except for the top. The Adirondack Spruce top instrument has a far more mellow sound than the all mahogany. When Brad builds my concert sized pineapple, it will be myrtle top-back sides, and if the chunk of wood will lend itself to the application, so will be the neck. If not, the neck will be figured maple and the fretboard flame grain black walnut. Yep!! It'll have 743AF PEGHEDS for the tuners, and a tail button for the strap. Of the 16 colours I make from webbing, I'll have to see which one goes with it...or perhaps use some of the Oregon tanned leather to tool and braid a strap for it. We will also discuss a smaller hole in the front and a side port on the front upper side. It will also be strung through the body rather than tied to the tailpiece.

My experience with sound boards is that you will get a warmer sound with Cedar and Redwood and brighter sound out of Spruce.
But thats just my:2cents: I use a lot of Myrtle and I don't think you can go wrong with it

I don't think anyone considering buying a handcrafted ukulele needs to worry about selecting "eco-friendly" woods. Forests are not being mowed down to build ukulele. This is likely to be an instrument that is lovingly passed from musician to musician; maybe even generations of musicians. I'm not sure there's a better way for a tree to spend its second life than as a musical instrument.

I think Brad and other luthiers are turning to indigenous woods simply because it's easier to find high quality, instrument-grade lumber at more reasonable prices. I'm sure they adjust their uke design to take advantage of the unique tonal properties of these woods.

I hopped on, for the second time (I already own a Donaldson Vintage soprano--my best ukulele, with Fremont Blacklines and Peghead tuners and all koa including headstock, thin waist, big sound), yesterday.

I'm on Brad's list for an all solid koa Vintage style Tenor! Thank you, Brad! Steve

There seems to be more and more guys who are retired who love making Ukes out of their love for woodworking.

I just want to buy a Uke from each and every one of them!

Top Bottom