"Go For Broke"

Canuke

Reaction score
I just watched the 1951 movie "Go For Broke" about the Japanese American soldiers fighting in Europe. What an awesome movie! And there was a guy playing the ukulele throughout the movie. I love seeing ukes in old movies.

Those guys were true heroes. They were just awarded the Congressional Gold Medal last year. I knew the guy who is dancing hula in the movie as Van Johnson drives by.

My Brother-in-law's dad was one of the guys who made the trip to DC for the medal ceremony a couple months back. Those guys reall are a great and prideful story in our history.

My great-uncle (grandfather's brother) was in the MIS and served as Eishenhower's interpreter when Japan surrendered to the US. I learned about "Internment Camps" because I saw a picture in my high school history text and recognized it as the same one on my great-grandmother's wall. I started asking questions, but back then they still wouldn't talk about it.

the most highly decorated and bravest 442 regiment combat team, Infantry and 100th batallion...

I was fortunate to see the original movie and many clips and documentaries since then. Hats-off to Congress for finally doing the right thing even though it is SHAMEFUL it took so long!

Every time I hear the original song or Jake's tribute I get a few chills! I began working on playing Jake's almost a year ago when I was a “BEGINNING BEGINNER”. Many people were saying how easy it was to play. I didn't and still don’t. Sure, the notes are relatively easy, the chords can be mastered with practice, however, when played "straight" as written, I found it very difficult to capture/convey the different emotions it contains. I attempt it as if it begins with total reverence, then respectfulness, then appreciation and ends with all three. I will continue “working” on it.

Sorry for getting a little emotional, but that’s the way most veterans get about such topics…

Go for Broke is great. There is also a more recent movie, Only the Brave http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410403/. Don't remember ukes in it. My hat has always been off to the members of the 442 and the One Puka Puka.

For those of you interested in this history, there are a number of resources on the web and some good books. Just google 442 RCT. And if you ever have the chance to attend or hear Alton Chung "talk story", do it. He's a wonderful storyteller. We saw him in his Okage Sama De performance a few years ago. http://www.altonchung.com/purchase.htm Da kine chicken skin, yeh. I don't have but imagine that the DVD's on his website are pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I loved that film and was moved at their sacrifice. I am curious to know if the main uke player in the film was a professional musician? I will IMDB the movie to try and find out.

Top Bottom