"Boll Weevil"

H

Hippie Dribble

traditional. American.

one of my favourite old-time tunes. I think the Boll Weevil is to North American's what the Cane Toad is to us here in Australia!!!

There are many variant versions in existence of this song, stylistically as well as lyrically, dating back to the 1800's. In my take on the tune I chose some of the verses I love most, added some melody picking in between and there you have it.

At heart its a really funny song, though maybe not so much if you happen to be a Texan farmer...he he. Thanks for watching gang! :)

Like your shirt says......old time music...is the best and so are you....enjoyed it....is that a new cap too....nice, who made that one??

Great tune, Jon, and - as always - well performed. Both of my parents grew up on cotton farms in SE Arkansas, in the Mississippi river delta. The met at an A&M college in Monticello, Arkansas whose mascot, to this day, is the diminutive boll weevil. I'll have to pass this video along to them.....

Attachments

• University-of-Arkansas-at-Monticello-The-Boll-Weevil.jpg
    University-of-Arkansas-at-Monticello-The-Boll-Weevil.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 6
  • BollWeevil.jpg
    BollWeevil.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Like your shirt says......old time music...is the best and so are you....enjoyed it....is that a new cap too....nice, who made that one??

Jemimah bought this bean is from the local Esk Market in Launceston, where we also go and sell our flowers mate. She bought it unbeknownst to me and gave it to me for Christmas. :)

Nice one Jon. There is a little town in Alabama called Enterprise that has a monument to the boll weevil. It is a site to see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boll_Weevil_Monument
he he Eric...'the world's only monument constructed to honour an agricultural pest" that's funny

they mark it as a herald of prosperity...man, that's news to me...there must be something in the water down in Enterprise, or at least something different in the soil!!!!

Great tune, Jon, and - as always - well performed. Both of my parents grew up on cotton farms in SE Arkansas, in the Mississippi river delta. The met at an A&M college in Monticello, Arkansas whose mascot, to this day, is the diminutive boll weevil. I'll have to pass this video along to them.....

thanks for the great pictures Bill...hmmm...ugly as sin but he knows how to get the chicks :rolleyes:

Top Bottom