Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Martin

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Kamaka

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • D' Addario

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
Hard to pick just one because strings can be used to add brightness, mellowness or volume. It depends on which of these characteristics I'm trying to bring out in my uke. Here are my top four picks:
1. Southcoast
2. Worth
3. Fremont
4. Aquila

It depends on the uke. Either Martin Fluoros, or Aquilas. I'd love to try some titanium concert strings, but no one answers when you ask how to get them so.. yeah.

I'm trying to get out of the Worths comfort zone, but the strings I picked for the Koaloha concert are such a mismatch it's ridiculous. They're not bad strings, they just don't suit the combo of my hands and that uke. I keep telling myself I'll stick with them for the duration, that it isn't a huge deal, but then steam starts coming from my ears.

Worth brown medium are my defaul strings. Only if they don't work do I try something else.

This is something you have to let the ukulele decide. Both of my longneck sopranos work really well with some fluorocarbon fishing leader that is basically equivalent to a Worth CM set with a slight tweak to the E string for better balance. I just recently disovered that my Mainland mango tenor, while very nice with clear fluorocarbon strings, is amazing with Ko'olau Gold nylon strings, and my Mainland cutaway mahogany tenor seems to favor Aquila with a wound low-g.

I've also used Martin fluorocarbon strings on longneck sopranos and they were very nice, too.

John

I'm sort of still a beginner, and don't have the most discerning ear, but I play Aquilas. My soprano, which I never see, has Martins on it/

My vote is for Southcoast Strings.

Dirk is absolutely brilliant at pairing strings with what you're looking for!

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite types of strings.
Thanks,
Kyle

My favorite strings are ukulele strings.
Doesn't anyone know how to use the search button.
BTW, what's you favorite uke ? or how do you play a "C" chord with a low g?

Southcoast!

My favorite strings are ukulele strings.
Doesn't anyone know how to use the search button.
BTW, what's you favorite uke ? or how do you play a "C" chord with a low g?

grumpy bum...he he (it's fine mate, summer will be here soon) :)

Ya know I'm of this school of thought that with a few exceptions, getting the "wrong" string set on a uke doesn't really matter so much. It's not a huge difference, not anything that anyone but you notices, and it still sounds nice enough and you can just manage fine with them until the next time.

I still think it's true, but I don't know what it is about the string matchup of Southcoast soft mediums with a Koaloha concert. What was I thinking? Sure the Koaloha is bright, but it doesn't need taming! It's fine as it is! And there I was reading the description thinking "Oh yeah, this'll be cool." - I probably should have asked Derek. Doh!

It's like when a talented horse doesn't get on with a talented rider. The uke is great, I can tell the strings are nice... and you put the two together and it's just... no.

And why is this a huge deal? (well, huge and huge, of course) Because restringing takes forever with my knot tying skills. And you have to order lots of Southcoast strings when ordering international. (That's not a complaint at Southcoast, I know international shipping costs, that just is what it is.)

I bet lights would be awesome. What was I thinking, "Herp derp, let me fix this sound that isn't broken, herp derp."

No one notices but me, but it's me that is getting aggravated whenever I play, for what should be no reason.

And no, I'm not really steamed about this, but I've got no one else to complain about strings to! :D

worth and southcoast for me.

+1 on that.

From the posts here, it looks like SouthCoast may be the most favored.

Actually, it depends on the uke (I also regularly use Aquila, Martin, Fremont, and Ko'olau 'Alohi on some).

I'm really liking Martin Fluorocarbons right now, have them on 2 ukes. Sounds is great and I really like how they feel.

Top Bottom