Picked up a KoAloha crown bridge tenor yesterday

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
One of our members at UU is thinning out his herd of ukes in order to get a new custom piece (I'll let him remain anonymous unless he wants to chime in to avoid stealing his thunder), so I bought a KoAloha crown bridge tenor from him yesterday.

I strung it up with my favorite strings last night (the Worth CHLGHD set) and it is settling in nicely. My first impressions are that it seems like it is much louder than my other ukes (except for my Pineapple Sunday). It sounds wonderful and I plan to use it as my traveling uke. I have been searching for a crown bridge tenor for a while, and having a one piece top is cool to boot.

My Kamaka will probably always remain my favorite (though I suppose that could change the more I play this one) because I like the curly koa appearance, and the neck and body just seem to fit me really well to make it very playable. But since I keep having seam separation issues with it I decided it probably is time to retire it from traveling, and leave it at home where it won't be subjected to lots of flights each year. I put it back in its case (with humidifiers) but did manage to take one photo of it on the wall with the new KoAloha and some of my other ukes.

I plan to try to do a comparison of my three K tenors in the future. Though I don't have sound clips or videos, I do want to at least consider things that I would like to have known before buying one of them (weight, tuner style, neck measurements, volume, etc.)

As for the KoAloha (named "Lono" after the Hawaiian God of music -- and yes, I do name my ukes), I am debating on getting a strap button or a pickup installed on it. I bought an ebony strap button with paua dot on it to install on it, but now I'm contemplating getting one of those new LR Baggs 5-0 pickups installed instead.

Here is a photo of the new (to me) uke, as well as a family shot -- left to right is my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, the KoAloha KTM-00 crown bridge tenor, my Kamaka HF-3 tenor, the Kanilea K2 tenor, and my Kamoa soprano. Missing from the family photo is my Hawaiian Ukulele Company soprano.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Aloha wahine,
Congrats on your new uke, looks awesome. Love the pix of your ukes, the wall of fame perhaps?........................BO........................

LOVE the crown bridge! Beautiful family! I love my Super Concert & Pineapple Sunday as well & would be hard to choose which the most... I will be interested in seeing what you decide vis a vis a pickup or end pin for it. I've been contemplating the same - I think I'm leaning toward a pickup for the Super Concert & just a strap button for the Pineapple Sunday. But... what about the other end of the uke? Gonna do a stap button up by the heel? I've wondered about that as the KoAloha's have such a thin heel - don't want to compromise it structurally.

I'm thinking that the new L.R. Baggs Five.0 or the just announced "shorter lead" MiSi for ukes might be my options. But I've got a K&K coming in my new Mya-Moe when it is finished, so I may wait until I hear it to decide.

Nice find there WickedWahine. I often kick myself for not buying your pineapple sunday a few years ago.

Gonna do a stap button up by the heel? I've wondered about that as the KoAloha's have such a thin heel - don't want to compromise it structurally.

Nope, I have a strap button end pin on my Kanilea and the input jack from the pickup on my Kamaka, but none of my ukes have the button on the heel. I use the uke leashes or a mandolin strap so I only need the button/jack at the bottom end.

Nice find there WickedWahine. I often kick myself for not buying your pineapple sunday a few years ago.

I may end up selling it. I don't play it that often, so if I decide to put it on the market, I will let you know.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :)

Congrats on the Koaloha! I know how much finding that crown bridge version meant to you. You must feel like you won the ukulele lottery. :)

Congratulations, Staci, on your beautiful new KoAloha (KoAloha koa always seems to be really pretty), and on the wonderful ukulele 'ohana you have there. I'm glad to see that the ukulele you bought has been able to remain in the UU community, and given the KoAloha's bracing system, I bet it'll be a sturdy traveler. I bought a KoAloha tenor (alas, not a crown bridge) from a fellow UUer several months ago, and I'm very happy with it. I'm really curious to read the upcoming thread in which you plan "consider things that I would like to have known before buying one of them (weight, tuner style, neck measurements, volume, etc.)," as I've had a few thoughts about those elements in playing my Kamaka and KoAloha tenors.

that is one beautiful uke it oozes quality

Nice - the crown bridge looks very classy

Aloha WW,
Congratulations on the new member to your uke ohana...wow wee that sure is a beautiful family...so was he from Hawaii?? he he

Aloha WW,
Congratulations on the new member to your uke ohana...wow wee that sure is a beautiful family...so was he from Hawaii?? he he

Nope, CA. But originally from HI, yep.

Staci, where did you get your wall hangers at?

I got them on eBay from UU member Toucan Mango. I also have a surfboard with a shark bite that I haven't hung up yet. :)

Yup, that is quite a collection.

Congrats! I am soooo stinkin' jealous!

Very nice. How is that Kamaka doing, that you were having all the issues with? I purchased myself a long neck Tenor last Sept. Picked it up at Kamaka. Bryan Tolentino even met me there (checked it out, personally) and gave it his approval. Little hard getting used to the extended neck, as I'm used to the regular sized tenor. What is the date of your KoAloha? ie, how old?

Last edited:
Top Bottom