Playing my first real show tomorrow night...

Nuprin

Reaction score
I've done a number of open mics, generally playing for 15-20 minutes. Tomorrow is my first show and I'm nervous as hell!

Originally I was asked to play for about 20 minutes...not a problem as I do it all the time for open mics. Well, the person sponsoring the show has now asked if I could actually play for about 45 minutes instead as he's afraid the other two bands won't have enough material to fill up the remaining 4 hours.

A couple of things I'm worried about...

1. The open mics I play are generally done at a restaurant called Monty's...a small, intimate setting. Tomorrow night's show will be at a popular pizza restaurant/bar right in the middle of the downtown area.

2. The open mics are usually during the week so it doesn't get too, too crowded. Tomorrow night's show is a Saturday night at a bar that gets many patrons. I'm going to be playing for many more people than I'm used to.

3. The other bands scheduled to play are straight up rock bands so I'm not sure how well a ukulele soloist will go over.

Anyway, I'm really nervous...I've been playing drums with different bands for the past 15 years...after all that time gigging, I still get nervous playing drums for shows. Being alone on stage without a drumset to hide behind is even more nerve wracking for me.

There's not a huge Vermont presence on UU, but for those in the area, I'll be playing at Manhattan Pizza in downtown Burlington (just off of Church St.) from 9:30 - 10:15. I'd love to have some uke enthusiasts in the crowd! Wish me luck!

Good luck. Sing from the diaphragm, so you don't blow your voice out before the set is over.

Sounds like it should be a good time. I wish I can play out in the public, but I seem to get nervous even playing in front of two people. :p

I guess for the rock music crowd, you could bust out some Led Zepplin (Going to California) and Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody)?

Anyway, good luck with the gig. Hope to see some videos of your performance!

Break a leg, just don't fall on your ukulele.
Seriously, you will do well, start and finish with your best material.
Go slow and add some patter between songs and you will do fine.
You might consider a few songs the audience can sing along with. Rock bands don't usually invite sing along's.
Everybody loves the uke, smile and have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a great player.

I know you probably can noodle and improvise on some blues progressions. Have some fun.

I am sure you will do fine and maybe somebody will give you some pizza.

Wish I could make it up (I'm down in Windsor VT) but I've got other plans with the family.

You'll do great, break a leg!

.....1. The open mics I play are generally done at a restaurant called Monty's...a small, intimate setting. Tomorrow night's show will be at a popular pizza restaurant/bar right in the middle of the downtown area.
If you are used to playing where folks actualy listen to you the busy/popular spot might be a disapointment as a lot of the time they are into their own thing and the band is like wallpaper. But is does make it easier as you can bark like a dog, make up your own lyrics and chords and nobody notices. Just go out and have fun, it will rub off on the crowd! Just don't stop and say "I messed up" or "That was wrong" or what ever. I've forgotten lyics, made them up and my band mates didn't ever notice. Have a great time it is contagious. You will do fine!!!

Chris, you're a great player. Just do what feels comfortable.

What uke(s) will you be playing?

Good luck! I just posted one of your videos on my brother's Facebook page along with information about your gig. He lives in Burlington. I don't know if he goes out to listen to music and I'm not sure where he stands on listening to ukulele music, but I figured that at the very least, maybe some of his Burlington friends might see the post and check out your gig. Please let us know how it goes!

Just enjoy it Chris for what it is. Try and be relaxed as you can as this rubs off on the patrons and warms them up to what you're doing...a bit of idle chit chat in between, self deprecating or otherwise...someone said start and finish with the highlights, good good advice...smile lots...man, you know what's going on, and you're an experienced and highly skilled player...it'll be awesome...wish I was there to woo-hoo you along. Have a ball mate and get your partner or a friend to film it so we can all say we were there when you played your first big set... :cool:

and last of all: remember that, being a uke soloist, the people's expectations will be on the 'low' side. You're gonna totally WOW them mate, roll with it :)

Hey Chris. I would imagine that the crowd will be very receptive to a uke, especially with your playing. I am a St. Mike's grad,(81) and haven't been back to Burlington since. If I didn't have to work tomorrow, and it wasn't 5+ hours away, I would drive there in a heartbeat to hear you play. You'll knock em dead!

BTW, what uke are you going to be playing?

Full respect to you mate, it takes real courage to do what you are doing, I wish you every sucess and hope you really have fun doing it.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement and suggestions! I'm terrible with banter but I'll do my best. Mostly I'm going to try and play upbeat songs to fit in more with the vibe of the evening. Not sure if anyone will be filming but I think there will be a photographer there. Might get some good pics out of it.

Oh and I'll be playing the Moore Bettah. Although that means I can't blame the uke if I play poorly!

Good luck and knock em dead.

You'll do fine, Chris. If you make any mistakes (you will), just keep on playing and sing. My favorite compliments are when I really botch a tune and someone from the audience comes up and says "I loved your version of that song ________". My reply is that "I'm still working on it. Let me know if you like my new version better next time". Have fun and smile (I have to force myself to smile) so the audience sees you as enjoying your own music. Don't turn your ukulele up so loud that you won't hear your own voice (it helps you sing on pitch). Solo gigs are a lot of fun and prepare and condition you for busking. Most important, have fun. It's contagious. Ric

Just pretend you are at Monty's, and all your friends showed up to support you. If they listen to rock music all the time, a change in pace might be welcome. remember, you are unique, you are doing what few people can do, you're a performer. Nobody will even notice if you booboo. Manitoba Hal told me one time, he makes mistakes regularly, he just knows how to cover them up now. Don't even acknowledge mistakes, they are a natural part of living and playing... knock 'em dead!

Top Bottom