Recording/Microphone Question

Monkeyswithladders

Reaction score
So I gave a random try at multi-tracking with ukulele and guitar and really enjoyed it. I bought a djembe to do the percussion tracks with and it should be arriving today! But I digress... let me get to my question.

All I did previously was video tape myself and then multi-track the videos on my computer. I've been thinking about upgrading to a real microphone instead of just using the one that's built into the camera, but I don't know anything about microphones.

So I researched as much as I could understand and decided I'll want a versatile large-diaphragm condenser mic for what I want to do-- I think I settled on an MXL V67G. My question is in regards to how this will affect my recording process.

I know these mics use phantom power, so I'd have to hook that up somehow-- does the mic just go into the power supply and out the other end into whatever I want? Would I be able to go straight into my camera so I can continue to just multi-track the video after my pc captures it, or would I have to get some actual recorder machine and work through that? Is a pre-amp necessary? I'm so confused...

I don't even know what kind of cables mics use-- so really, any information at all would be soooo appreciated.

EDIT: oh, and what do you guys use?

You need to buy a preamp of some kind. I recommend the MobilePre from M-Audio. It has phantom power, and has enough inputs for the stuff you're talking about doing.

It connects to your computer via USB. You just plug in your mic into the MobilePre with an XLR cable, and then connect the MobilePre to the USB port in your computer.

I wouldn't go straight into your camera, even if you could. I would record into a music editing program, like Ableton Live. That way you have much more control over your sound.

Yeah, you're going to have to sync your video with your audio, which will lengthen your process a bit, but it's worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation for a pre-amp-- but I forgot one important piece of information...

I kind of don't want to be tied to doing all my recording in front of my PC. One of the things I like about doing it with a camera is the mobility and versatility to record in another room or outside or in another state :D Plus I'm going to try to set up a room for all my instruments that's quiet-- no pc allowed :p

Right now I'm using Magix Music Maker for my editing needs and it's suiting the video/sound medium pretty well for me... plus what I'm laying down is really bare-bones arrangements of songs, so I'm not too needy when it comes to control over the sound just yet.

Is there any way that I can use a condenser mic right into a camera mic jack? Like one the size of a small headphone jack.

Is there any way that I can use a condenser mic right into a camera mic jack? Like one the size of a small headphone jack.

Yeah, you can do it. But you still have to get phantom power. For that you can buy a phantom power supply. I wouldn't know which one to recommend, though. You'll need one that is able to run on batteries for those in the field sessions.

Most phantom power supplies do not have stereo mini plug (1/8" or 3.5mm) outputs, though. You'll have to buy an adapter. Get a female XLR to male stereo mini plug adapter.

I use a Zoom H2 which I usually plug into the USB on my laptop. I record straight into Audacity (a free app), add some EQ and a little reverb, normalise and export as an MP3.It is then very easy to sync with the video using Windows Movie Maker.

The beauty of the H2 is that you can use it as a stand alone recorder as well.

KEN

Top Bottom