ukulele tuning on a classical guitar?

smokemeister25

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but thought i'd ask anyway...

can i tune a classical nylon string guitar to ukulele tuning? i'm thinking it will put too much tension on it but thought i'd ask. if i take off the two low strings i didn't know if it was possible. i know you can capo at the fifth fret, but my capo must for for an electric and is a little too narrow for the classical neck so it doesn't quite fit.

before anybody says ''if you want a uke then buy a uke...'' i did. it's just not here yet. i'm anxiously waiting. thought i'd practice up on my uke chords on my classical but don't want to do something stupid like tearing the bridge off or something. these things ain't built for a lot of tension

thanks for the advice before i break a nice instrument. :anyone:

Last edited:
I wouldn't try it. You'd have to restring the entire instrument with thinner strings, and you'd still have two unused tuners rattling while you play. Neck is too long, fingering would be difficult. It would be a poor simulation at best.

You'd be better off buying a classical capo in the mean time. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run than experimenting with custom string sets (if you could even find such a thing).

Remember that the classical neck is much wider than the uke neck, so the string spacing will be a bt different.

Otherwise, why worry? You can play the same chord patterns on the guitar as you play on a ukulele. The "G" chord pattern on the Guitar is the "C" chord pattern on the uke.

So, de-stress yourself, and just play! Yes, the key will be different, but don't let that get in your way.

As an example, there are a lot of songs that I learned back when I was able to play guitar that I played in the keys of C, D, or G. I've had the left and right hand fingering patterns embedded in my brain and hands for years, so I just use the same patterns, and simply play in F, G, or C. Yes, it sounds different, but not that much. Think of it as putting a capo on your brain, negative 5th fret. (That sounds really weird when I say it out loud, but the concept works.)

Of course, this may only work for me because I can't read music or tab...

-Kurt​

You could use the old "short-pencil-and-rubber-band" temporary capo method for now. The Classical Guitar is so much bigger than a uke neck that it will be hard to simulate the full uke experience. You will be fine, I expect, making the transition. You will find that your experience with CG will give you a good jump start on the ukulele. Don't try and retune your guitar.

–Lori

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but thought i'd ask anyway...

can i tune a classical nylon string guitar to ukulele tuning? i'm thinking it will put too much tension on it but thought i'd ask. if i take off the two low strings i didn't know if it was possible. i know you can capo at the fifth fret, but my capo must for for an electric and is a little too narrow for the classical neck so it doesn't quite fit.

before anybody says ''if you want a uke then buy a uke...'' i did. it's just not here yet. i'm having a new ana ole custom built so i'm anxiously waiting. thought i'd practice up on my uke chords on my classical but don't want to do something stupid like tearing the bridge off or something. these things ain't built for a lot of tension

thanks for the advice before i break a nice instrument. :anyone:
Hello and welcome smokemeister25,
While you are waiting for the arrival of your new ukulele, and seeing you are familiar with capos and their purpose, you can just get an ordinary short pencil similar to what they have at the loto ticket booths in the mall and an elastic band. Capo at the 5th fret for your GCEA and take off the 6th and 5th strings to get the feel of only four strings. You won't have "my dog has fleas" instead you will have low G C E A. This will keep your brain and fingers busy meanwhile. Congrats on a new uke.
Regards
jim1931
PS: Gosh Lori you type much faster than me. We must be on the same wavelength. HaHa!!

Last edited:
thanks guys. i never thought about doing the pencil trick. i'll try that. i know it'll be different, but i'll give me something do do while i'm waiting for my new baby. i got a koa tenor with ebony fretboard and head with some other little custom things and a very custom rosette. it should look spectacular but not too ornate and i'm looking forward to it sounding great as well. i've never had a ukulele before but thought about getting one for a long long long time but decided if i was gonna do it that i might as well get something special to me since i intend it keep it for life. should have it within a month. yep... i'm excited :)

You'll need a pretty strong rubber band (or two) to pull off the "pencil capo."

I recommend those heavy duty blue ones they use to hold several pieces of broccoli together in the produce department. I always save those because they come in handy for lots of things. :)

And in that vein of kitchen tips, I've found that binder clips work better than any "chip clips" or clothespins. :p

:agree: Yes, you need those big thick rubber bands that come with asparagus/ broccoli. I always save those... usually blue or purple. That should do the capo duty pretty well. Congrats on your new custom uke. You are wise to get a really nice one early on... you will save lots of money in the end.

–Lori

i did get a practice instrument. a kala concert. i keep it in a gig bag next to a chair and just pick it up during commercial on tv or when i want to practice for a while and it works great to be so convenient.... :) there's a lot to say for having a beater so to speak close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom