Very simple recording software for Mac?

ukemunga

Reaction score
I'd like to find something very simple similar to the voice recording app on the iPhone.

Click to record, click to stop. click to play back. Don't need any editing or mixing features.

Any suggestions?

GarageBand. You don't need to use the advanced features. If you have an older Mac without GarageBand, then download Audacity.

Yes, QuickTime works great. Just go to the menu– File>New Audio Recording, and make sure your mic is set as input on your System Preferences. WireTap is also good, but it costs money.
–Lori

It again depends on the age of your Mac, but on some Macs you need QuickTime Pro ($30) to record either audio or video.

Well... I'm a long time Mac user and should know this stuff but I don't. I have Quicktime Player but I can't find a Quicktime application that will let me record. It seems I need to go buy Quicktime Pro for $30 which I'm not inclined to do for the little bit Ill mess with it.

Have Garage Band but it seems like overkill since I've never really messed with it. Downloaded Audacity a day or two ago but it seems overly complicated too.

I guess I just want to hit a record button, then a stop button, then play back the few seconds or minutes I just recorded. Then save it or not. Seems pretty simple and like it should be built in. And I DID think I could do it with Quicktime. Maybe I trashed the program or something.

I don't think you're going to find anything on the Mac that's as simple as what's available on the iPhone.

What version of OS X are you running?

Go to the Mac App Store and search Voice Recorder. There are several options.

Edtited: Sorry, my mistake, you need 10.6 or higher to access the App Store. (FWIW, the upgrade to Snow Leopard is worth it IMO.)

Scooter

Last edited:
...you need 10.6 or higher to access the App Store. (FWIW, the upgrade to Snow Leopard is worth it IMO.)

Scooter

Thanks Scooter!

I actually have the install disk sitting right here on my desk. Already installed it at the office and have the app store there.

Time to install the upgrade here I guess.

Audacity.

It looks more intimidating that it actually is. Just click record, then click stop. Save your file and you're all set.

Audacity.

It looks more intimidating that it actually is. Just click record, then click stop. Save your file and you're all set.

Finally figured it out. In Audacity the first thing you have to do (after confirming input, etc.) is go to the little pull down arrow by the microphone icon and choose "start monitoring"... THEN you can use the record button, etc.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Top Bottom