PDA

View Full Version : Willie Wixom custom ukes from Northern California

gokidd
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh, man. Just got clued-in on a new web site premiere!! Take a look at the instruments being created by Willie Wixom -- some really gorgeous craftsmanship. I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound! http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/ And he offers custom work ...

xtoph
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
wow those are some really fine looking instruments!

Nickie
01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
That $450 mango uke looks like a $2000 uke. How can they make it for 450? I know I want one if they sound as good as they look!

Doc_J
01-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Wow. Custom solid wood ukes from $325.

Drew Bear
01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound!How would you compare it to the sound of your Islander MST-4? If you get a chance to stop by his place again, posting some YouTube sound samples would be appreciated.

The craftsmanship certainly looks high quality, but building a musical instrument is not a simple matter of excellent woodworking skills. It sounds like he is new to instrument building. Maybe he's a "natural" and has a gift for building ukulele, but even experienced guitar luthiers have commented that uke building has a pretty steep learning curve.

Thanks for the link. I'm probably only an hour or so away from him and will be very interested in hearing some reviews. His prices are in the same range as Brad's.

gokidd
01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
How would you compare it to the sound of your Islander MST-4? If you get a chance to stop by his place again, posting some YouTube sound samples would be appreciated.

I'd have to play them side by side to make that comparison, but the koa models I played were very resonant and balanced. They were strung Low-G. And the neck shape nicely fills the hand (coming from guitar background). Definitely give them a try if you get the chance!

Chris Tarman
01-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Those are GREAT prices!

808boy
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Aloha gokidd,
Mahalo for the heads up, looks good. Where is he in NorCal? Would like to check them out...............

zac987
01-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Wow. I'd love one with a slotted headstock and pin bridge.

Kanaka916
01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Wherebouts is he at in the 916?

gokidd
01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Aloha gokidd,
Mahalo for the heads up, looks good. Where is he in NorCal? Would like to check them out...............

Hi. He's just outside Sacramento in the community of Carmichael.
Enjoy!

Dan Uke
01-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Regardless of price and looks, he has to pass the ear test. Should post some sound samples

Regster
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Sounds comes first to me before looks. I'm curious to hear how they sound?

Drew Bear
01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Word is Willie is not computer savvy, similar to Chuck Moore (and probably many other Luthiers) a few years ago. Hopefully someone in the 916 can pay him a visit and snag some video samples.

UkuleleAdventure
01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh, man. Just got clued-in on a new web site premiere!! Take a look at the instruments being created by Willie Wixom -- some really gorgeous craftsmanship. I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound! http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/ And he offers custom work ...

We all know it's you, you don't have to refer to yourself. :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Word is Willie is not computer savvy, similar to Chuck Moore

Huh?

Anyway, doesn't the Dominator live in/near Carmichael? Dom's a regular here, maybe he'll give us the scoop.

Drew Bear
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Huh?
Sorry, Chuck. I meant no disrespect. The whole quote reads:

Word is Willie is not computer savvy, similar to Chuck Moore (and probably many other Luthiers) a few years ago.
I recall coming across a post from a few years back explaining why you didn't have any sound samples at the time. It was mostly because of your remote location, but you also claimed to be not very tech-savvy. I suspect you were being modest and were more capable than you let on, but the end result was you didn't have sound samples back then. You also said that you'd never heard a sound sample that fully captured the sound of a uke. I'm paraphrasing from memory, so forgive me if I misinterpreted or misremembered what you wrote.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Sorry, Chuck. I meant no disrespect. The whole quote reads:

I recall coming across a post from a few years back explaining why you didn't have any sound samples at the time. It was mostly because of your remote location, but you also claimed to be not very tech-savvy. I suspect you were being modest and were more capable than you let on, but the end result was you didn't have sound samples back then. You also said that you'd never heard a sound sample that fully captured the sound of a uke. I'm paraphrasing from memory, so forgive me if I misinterpreted or misremembered what you wrote.

I'm not at all offended. I'm just surprised anyone remembers anything I've said. 2,500 posts in 5 or 6 years and I can't remember what I posted yesterday. But that does sound like something I'd said. Fact is I think I'm pretty good with computers for an ol' coot. I built and maintain my own web site which I think is an accomplishment. I just can't download a damned video! I tried a few years ago and it took me two days and still couldn't get it right. Luckily I don't have to worry about that since there are better videographers and players that are happy to contribute to my web site.

Back to the topic......I think the luthier in question is smart to price his work low especially if he is just beginning the craft. As his experience grows, the demand will follow and surely his prices will increase.

Kanaka916
01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Dom lives in Rocklin . . . I'll give Willie a call and arrange for a visitation along with 808Boy. So, everybody, jus cool yo jets! BTW, there are a number of people who do buy based on aesthetics.

808boy
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
@ Kanaka916, PM me time and day (Thurs. or Fri.) Catch you latahs..............................BO............ .......

gokidd
01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
We all know it's you, you don't have to refer to yourself. :)

Oh, man, I wish! No such luck. But I did talk to him about getting some digital recordings to post.

gokidd
02-02-2012, 04:34 AM
Okay, gang, we recorded a couple of digital audio files that will be posted on his web site (http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/) in the next not too soon.
And I couldn't resist the pull any longer ... WA Wixom tenor #105 is now my "Mandy".
Koa, ebony and just a delight. It's one of the ukes we recorded.
Yeaaaa .... New Uke Day!!!

Hiddencross
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Okay, gang, we recorded a couple of digital audio files that will be posted on his web site (http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/) in the next not too soon.
And I couldn't resist the pull any longer ... WA Wixom tenor #105 is now my "Mandy".
Koa, ebony and just a delight. It's one of the ukes we recorded.
Yeaaaa .... New Uke Day!!!
As a Sacramento resident, I've been watching this tread closely. Thanks, gokidd. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear a review of "Mandy" when you get a chance.

GX9901
02-02-2012, 06:00 AM
I checked out Willie's website again and looked at the for sale ukes. $425 for a solid koa & ebony fretboard/bridge tenor with slotted headstock? If it's even as good as a typical K brand uke, it's a steal (and I would expect a luthier built instrument to be better than factory built). I'd love to see a review or video demo of these ukes.

gokidd
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM
As a Sacramento resident, I've been watching this tread closely. Thanks, gokidd. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear a review of "Mandy" when you get a chance.

Hey, slide by the uke jam (http://www.ukeuniversity.com/) on Saturday!

ukeykondo
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I just ordered a custom uke from Willie. After speaking to him on the phone and getting him to play me a sound sample over the phone (yes I know--very tough to tell whether it's any good, but you get a general idea), I get the sense that he really knows what he's doing. Although he is a newcomer, he has been building ukes for 3 years and from speaking to him, he clearly has a passion for this. Be forewarned though, he's already starting to sell his stuff and he's getting orders, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up changing his prices sometime soon. My uke wont come till about March or April, but when I get it, I will do a thorough review.

rasputinsghost
02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm interested in a superconcert, did ya'll play one of those?

mds725
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting about these ukuleles. I just bought serial no. 106, a koa tenor with a slotted headstock and a nice sapwood streak. Woo hoo!

gokidd
02-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Thanks for posting about these ukuleles. I just bought serial no. 106, a koa tenor with a slotted headstock and a nice sapwood streak. Woo hoo!

Oh, yep, I remember playing that one and it has a wonderful voice. Congratulations!

gokidd
02-03-2012, 04:23 AM
I'm interested in a superconcert, did ya'll play one of those?

Sorry, ras, I missed this post until just now. The day I bought my tenor Willie had a long-neck soprano in the works, but I don't remember seeing anything in superconcert.

specialk13
02-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Gokidd, can you comment on the weight of these ukes? They look heavily built but pictures can be deceiving....thanks!

gokidd
02-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Gokidd, can you comment on the weight of these ukes? They look heavily built but pictures can be deceiving....thanks!

Hi, K:
The bodies are light and resonant. I was holding one of the koa body tenors (don't remember which one) in playing position and I could feel it react to speech in the room, if you know what I mean.
I could feel it vibrate in my hands and against my chest.
The necks are more substantial than import uke necks that I've played, so it fills your palm nicely, but it doesn't feel head-heavy when playing. If I balance the tenor on my index finger, that point is just about where the heel blends into the rest of the neck.
Braces inside the body are strong-looking, but must be plenty light for the top and back to be so resonant. No glue globs inside or anything unsightly.

mds725
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh, yep, I remember playing that one and it has a wonderful voice. Congratulations!

Great to know! Willie was planning to upload a sound sample for this ukulele, but I decided not to wait, as I was worried it might be gone by then. He's been great to deal with. I can't wait to get this one!

mm stan
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi, K:
The bodies are light and resonant. I was holding one of the koa body tenors (don't remember which one) in playing position and I could feel it react to speech in the room, if you know what I mean.
I could feel it vibrate in my hands and against my chest.
The necks are more substantial than import uke necks that I've played, so it fills your palm nicely, but it doesn't feel head-heavy when playing. If I balance the tenor on my index finger, that point is just about where the heel blends into the rest of the neck.
Braces inside the body are strong-looking, but must be plenty light for the top and back to be so resonant. No glue globs inside or anything unsightly.

So did you buy a uke or was really tempted...hmmm

specialk13
02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks Gokidd, that sounds very reassuring to me as I like a light build with a lot of responsiveness. Even though he's relatively new to this market, it sounds like he's on the right track. Thanks for the detailed description!

gokidd
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
So did you buy a uke or was really tempted...hmmm

Oh, sorry, Mystery Man. I mixed my tenses.

I was describing the first time I saw the ukes (in November or December) when talking about the "resonance of the bodies" experience.
All the detail observations regarding the neck and braces came over the past two days since I bought mine. Yup. Sorry for the confug-sion.

HEY ... sound clips are now posted on Willie's web site! (http://www.wawixomukuleles.com)
They are at the very bottom of the home page.

ItsAMeCasey
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
these look sweet. The sound sample isn't working on his site for me though. Can't wait for a review!

mm stan
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh, sorry, Mystery Man. I mixed my tenses.

I was describing the first time I saw the ukes (in November or December) when talking about the "resonance of the bodies" experience.
All the detail observations regarding the neck and braces came over the past two days since I bought mine. Yup. Sorry for the confug-sion.

HEY ... sound clips are now posted on Willie's web site! (http://www.wawixomukuleles.com)
They are at the very bottom of the home page.
Mahalo Gokidd,
Sounded pretty nice..congratulations on your new ukulele..may you
have many years of happiness and enjoyment....
Yes, the sound clip Casey is on the bottom left of the page, it worked
for me... MM Stan

Pete Howlett
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I supplied a Willard Wixom one of my kits about a year ago... same guy? I dunno but that body shape looks mighty familiar. Anyway, he isn't doing the luthier community any favors charging those prices!

mm stan
02-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I applaud him and Mike Perriera ukes, Black Bear ukes, Brad Donaldson for making their ukes accessable for us ukers who cannot afford the high prices of some makers..no hard feelings..just saying..

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
I supplied a Willard Wixom one of my kits about a year ago... same guy? I dunno but that body shape looks mighty familiar. Anyway, he isn't doing the luthier community any favors charging those prices!
aaarrrgghhh! Someone take that wet blanket off me!!!!!!

Supply and demand will win out I'm sure. I imagine his prices will rise once the customers start knocking the door down. Healthy competition is a good thing I would have thought as luthiers strive to be better at their craft? In any case, as with anything in life, we all need to start the journey somewhere. Give the guy a break. Good on him I say!!! Each builder has their corner of the market...yours is just a higher end market surely, and in a different continent, no?

mm stan
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Since he mentioned luthier community, What about the ukulele community..shouldn't it be about unity amongst
us...give us a break, besides you are so far away on another continent...reminds me of the gasoline and airlines
conspiring to raise a monopoly price..I have no problem with you or you charging your prices, but don't try to
control and raise the market prices by saying stuff like that.....

Drew Bear
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Supply and demand will win out I'm sure. I imagine his prices will rise once the customers start knocking the door down. Healthy competition is a good thing I would have thought as luthiers strive to be better at their craft? In any case, as with anything in life, we all need to start the journey somewhere. Give the guy a break. Good on him I say!!! Each builder has their corner of the market...yours is just a higher end market surely, and in a different continent, no?
Well said! It seems to me the custom uke market is expanding very quickly. Will one luthier building 40-50 very competitively priced ukes this year really impact the pricing dynamic in any significant manner?

Pete, if Willie did learn with the help of one of your kits, then kudos to you for helping launch another post-retirement career in ukulele building. If you don't mind clarifying, do you explicitly say that portions of your kits may not be used for production of ukes to be sold? Or is this an unwritten rule among luthiers? More broadly speaking, are modern "body shapes" protected by some IP law (trademark, patent, etc.)?

808boy
02-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Aloha All,
I for one support Willie in his passion for building ukes in his retirement stage of his life. As he told me, he's not looking for a new career, just a marginal profit to support his HOBBY. He's a genuinely nice person who loves woodworking. He works out of his garage and works alone. I played all he had there(even #106) and they all sounded, and felt good. Kanaka916 was there also and I'm sure he will do a post with pix(thanks Danny, I forgot my camera).
I ordered a Tenor to my specs and put down my deposit. Not in a real rush to get it but I am excited. GREAT price for a spec'ed out uke....Thank you Mr. Wixom, keep up the good work...................BO....................

Dan Uke
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
It's all good!! He's catering to a certain niche as well as every other luthier. Let's all enjoy the popularity of ukes.

rasputinsghost
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I applaud him and Mike Perriera ukes, Black Bear ukes, Brad Donaldson for making their ukes accessable for us ukers who cannot afford the high prices of some makers..no hard feelings..just saying..

Preach man!

Kanaka916
02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
808Boy and I met with Willie this afternoon, well I arrived a little later. We spent some time talking about his instruments and how much of an impact UU has made. Over the past day he has taken several orders and sold most of his inventory to UU members.

Willie is a retired teacher and cabinet maker who got interested in uke building about 3 years ago. It's a small one man operation and Willie works out of his garage. We made small talk about uke players, uke festivals, slotted headstocks, strings, pick ups, 6 and 8 string ukes.

On to the ukes (this is just a general assessment on my part) . . . IMO, great projection and sustain. The strings (Aquila) provided a warm sound instead of the brightness we're used to hearing even with the different tops. I did not see or feel unevenness on any parts (upper and lower bouts, book matched top/back/sides) of the instrument and the instrument just felt solid. I like the neck thickness and forming chords up and down was not a problem. Willie will shape the neck to your liking. 12th fret harmonics sounded on the spot. Maple and herringbone bindings along with the soundhole rosettes and the inlaid MOP logo on the headstock give it a nice touch. The instruments were polished with tung oil and will do satin or gloss finish if requested. Grover opened gear tuners, rosewood FB and tie bridge, optional pin bridge, bone or corian nut and saddle. MOP position dots and markers. Please check the website for options to determine the final cost.

I did take a few pictures and unfortunately a few of them came out blurry, so I posted the ones that didn't. Sorry folks . . . Oh one more thing, Willie mentioned this is a hobby and not a full time gig, just letting you know. If you have any questions, visit his website (http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/Home_Page.html) for contact info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_0015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_0014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/IMG_0017.jpg

rasputinsghost
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Looks great, Kanaka, thanks for putting the photos up! Having listened to the sound samples, wow, the High-G uke sounds great...

mm stan
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow Mahalo 808boy and Danny,
For the 411 on Willie..he sounds like a really nice guy and his ukes look top notch..I am touched with his
generosity for offering his great crafted ukuleles at prices that support the ukulele community and ukulele
movement..Way to Go Willie, Mahalo Plenty MM Stan

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
WOW!!! Just love the look of that little soprano and those tenors just outstanding. Beautiful!!!! Especially that zebrawood and...is it a cedar top..amazing. Awesome, awesome work Willie!!!!!!! :cool:

Hiddencross
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
808Boy and I met with Willie this afternoon...
Thanks for the report, guys. My UAS is flaring up.

Bill Mc
02-03-2012, 07:36 PM

I would add Brueko ukuleles to the list. Absolutely love my solid mahogany Breuko soprano and its impeccable craftsmanship and unique sound for a pittance.

808boy
02-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Aloha,
Can't say enough about the man, I'm now a Wixom fan along with my Meles.
@Eugene, that's an unstained Mahogany top with the Zebrawood back and sides. That uke had unreal clarity and sustain. All his ukes were very nicely built with sweet voices. Will have to order a concert next....................BO...............

foxfair
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I guess Mr. Wixom has 10+ orders coming in just one week. :)

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Aloha,
Can't say enough about the man, I'm now a Wixom fan along with my Meles.
@Eugene, that's an unstained Mahogany top with the Zebrawood back and sides. That uke had unreal clarity and sustain. All his ukes were very nicely built with sweet voices. Will have to order a concert next....................BO...............
Bo, guess what, I ordered that exact model (with a few variations) today...had a feeling that one was a winner...will be done by end of April at a very good price

808boy
02-04-2012, 05:41 AM
@Eugene,
Wow Bruddah, congrats. Dodie's cousin wants that Zebra with a pick-up installed. Happy that UUers KNOW a good deal when it comes along. Hell, even those that can afford a higher end one are buying Willie's ukes too.....how cool is that.....................................BO....... ..........................

GX9901
02-04-2012, 05:54 AM
A question for you guys who have been to Willie's shop. It sounds like he builds the ukes out of his garage. Is he able to control the humidity of his shop? His ukes certainly look interesting, but I'm wondering how they would do in dry climates.

Thanks!

garyg
02-04-2012, 06:15 AM
If he's in the central valley of Cal. then the humidity is low year-round and the temperatures range from very rarely freezing to 100+. I think that someone said he lives in Carmichael which is a suburb of Sacramento. The work looks beautiful and you can't beat those prices. Nice when the K's are pricing themselves out of a market that there are still luthiers around who are charging very reasonable prices for quality instruments like Black Bear. cheers, g2

hammer40
02-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Poor guy, he just wanted to retire, take it easy and enjoy his passion of woodworking. Now he has orders out the ying yang, he may have to raise his prices just to slow it all down a bit. Can't blame everybody though, they do look beautiful.

mm stan
02-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Poor guy, he just wanted to retire, take it easy and enjoy his passion of woodworking. Now he has orders out the ying yang, he may have to raise his prices just to slow it all down a bit. Can't blame everybody though, they do look beautiful.

You got a good and valid point there...I hope everyone will understand and not overload him with orders...maybe buy what he has already made first instead of piling him with custom orders...
I know many people who lose the fun and happiness in their hobbies when it becomes a drudging job and work..

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
You got a good and valid point there...I hope everyone will understand and not overload him with orders...maybe buy what he has already made first instead of piling him with custom orders...

Also, if he controls his production calendar very carefully and tells everyone flat out what the waiting time is. He should be able to produce Ukes at whatever speed makes him happy.

Drew Bear
02-04-2012, 06:40 AM
If he's in the central valley of Cal. then the humidity is low year-round and the temperatures range from very rarely freezing to 100+. It's true about the temp ranges, but humidity in the valley gets very high in the summer. Today is cool (by California standards) and clear in the Sacramento area and RH is well above 60%.

Nice when the K's are pricing themselves out of a market...I don't think you need to worry about the K-brands. These ukes are still primarily hand-built instruments and they can only ramp up production so far while maintaining brand quality. Kamaka just raised their prices.

Edit: I just spoke with Willie and he said he does not store his wood or ukes in the garage shop. He only works on one or two ukes at a time. All the wood comes back into the house when he's done working on it and the house temps & humidity levels are comfortable for him and his wife.

Pete Howlett
02-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Of course he is going to be popular - y'all love him because he is underpricing his work and diluting the market. And I am not surprised his door is being knocked down. Howeber it doesn't alter the fact that what he is doing is shameful since he isn't even pricing at half the going rate for a hand built instrument. It takes 20+ hours to make a ukulele, materials are at least $100... it's sad to me when retired people do this and is very unhelpful to the professional builders who have to put food on the table with their craft. It's like firing someone and replacing them with the intern at a third the cost. In the long run it's not good for the ukulele community because it lowers expectation for something that should be paid handsomly for.

mm stan
02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Still don't see how it affects you, but I do like how it affects us ukers now who now can get what just a few fortunate before could....Ha ha paid handsomely for...give me a break....

GX9901
02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Of course he is going to be popular - y'all love him because he is underpricing his work and diluting the market. And I am not surprised his door is being knocked down. Howeber it doesn't alter the fact that what he is doing is shameful since he isn't even pricing at half the going rate for a hand built instrument. It takes 20+ hours to make a ukulele, materials are at least $100... it's sad to me when retired people do this and is very unhelpful to the professional builders who have to put food on the table with their craft. It's like firing someone and replacing them with the intern at a third the cost. In the long run it's not good for the ukulele community because it lowers expectation for something that should be paid handsomly for.

I disagree about what Mr. Wixom is doing is shameful. He's a new builder, and as a new builder, he simply can't command a higher price. If he prices his ukes at the same cost as you or Chuck Moore, he most likely isn't going to sell any ukuleles unless his ukes blow away local players who gets to play them in person. Even then, he really doesn't yet have the reputation to charge higher prices.

Now, if he's successful and builds his reputation up to the level of say Chuck Moore or Dave Means, he'll either significantly raise his prices or deal with a 3+ year waitlist. Either way it'll play itself out and I don't see him causing problems for the professional luthiers out there.

Still don't see how it affects you, but I do like how it affects us ukers now who now can get what just a few fortunate before could....Ha ha paid handsomely for...give me a break....

I do agree with Pete in terms of ukulele luthiers should be charging fair price for their work. Dave Means of Glyph had been quoted saying that he's basically paying himself a burger flipper's wage making his ukuleles. He can do that because he's retired and have pension so he doesn't really need the income for ukulele building (much like Mr. Wixom). As ukulele enthusiasts, of course we love ukes to cost as little as possible. But why should our luthiers be worth less than say guitar builders? If you know anything about ukulele building, you know it's not any easier than building guitars. We want our instruments to be taken seriously yet we want to pay our luthiers minimum wage. It doesn't add up.

Believe me, I'm tempted by Mr. Wixom's prices on his ukes. But I do think he's basically building them for free at his prices.

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 08:24 AM

This is the nature of the free market. Having more choices of builders is going to drive prices down. If the price doesn't go down than builders are colluding together to fix prices and keep them high. The other side to this coin is that if your instrument has a competitive advantage to is due to your experience and longevity in the industry then you can command a higher price.

Luthiers don't set the price. The market as a whole does.

I'm not saying any of these guys are making better instruments than yours. They're just making an instrument that I can actually afford. If your starting price for a Uke is around $1000 then you're not "losing my business" because I'm simply not shopping in that price range.

But the idea that small, retired builders are diluting the market carries little weight because of your vested interest in driving these lower price alternatives out of the market. It also carries little weight because there's a $12,000 Kamaka for sale that's just waiting for the right buyer. And have no doubt. Someone will buy it once the hoopla dies down and there's some room to negotiate.

Now if your business model doesn't allow for you to sell as cheap as these retired guys, or as much as the highly sought after K brands then change your business model. But don't think that your frustrations as a business owner should be their concerns as upstart businesses or my concern as a consumer wanting wanting a quality, USA built instrument at price I can afford.

These guys aren't building ukes for the bragging rights. They're building them because they have the love, the know how and probably (in these "tough economic time") the need for some extra income.

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Believe me, I'm tempted by Mr. Wixom's prices on his ukes. But I do think he's basically building them for free at his prices.

So if he's doing work for free than he should be doubly commended. For he is truly doing it for the love of the craft.

BTW, the idea of a loss leader is nothing new. Get a "free" phone when you sign up for cell service. Buy a Razor for $5 and razor blades cost $10. There's many reasons to price a uke cheaply. Getting a foothold in a market dominated by trusted names, etc. Depending on service and repair work income (That's where car dealers make the real money). Pricing is always part of a larger business plan.

How many people here buy cars at sticker price? How many people buy houses at the asking price? Isn't that essentially what an auction is? negotiation at high speed?

So being frugal in some areas is okay as long as it's not the hand built uke market. Give me a break.

rasputinsghost
02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I would simply like to observe that Ferrari isn't being put out of business by Ford. The high-end makers are gonna have their slice of the pie, and the lower-end small makers will have theirs.

edit: Also, I think 900-1000 is about standard for a custom tenor stateside, and Willie's charging about half of that.

mm stan
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I disagree about what Mr. Wixom is doing is shameful. He's a new builder, and as a new builder, he simply can't command a higher price. If he prices his ukes at the same cost as you or Chuck Moore, he most likely isn't going to sell any ukuleles unless his ukes blow away local players who gets to play them in person. Even then, he really doesn't yet have the reputation to charge higher prices.

Now, if he's successful and builds his reputation up to the level of say Chuck Moore or Dave Means, he'll either significantly raise his prices or deal with a 3+ year waitlist. Either way it'll play itself out and I don't see him causing problems for the professional luthiers out there.

I do agree with Pete in terms of ukulele luthiers should be charging fair price for their work. Dave Means of Glyph had been quoted saying that he's basically paying himself a burger flipper's wage making his ukuleles. He can do that because he's retired and have pension so he doesn't really need the income for ukulele building (much like Mr. Wixom). As ukulele enthusiasts, of course we love ukes to cost as little as possible. But why should our luthiers be worth less than say guitar builders? If you know anything about ukulele building, you know it's not any easier than building guitars. We want our instruments to be taken seriously yet we want to pay our luthiers minimum wage. It doesn't add up.

By Mr Howlett words he said materials are about 100.00, Mr Wixom sells his custom tenors from 500.00 and up
isn't that a fair markup??? how much does Mr Howlett sells his uke for and can you imagine his markup..what do
you think now in that perspective...building for free, I think not...Don't restaurants have 300% mark up and that's
about where you wanna be?? If Mr Howlett was humble like Mr Moore we wouldn't be having this conversation..I believe in high end Luthiers like I believe in Gucci and louis Vutton..there is a market for them and their high end products...

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 09:16 AM
edit: Also, I think 900-1000 is about standard for a custom tenor stateside, and Willie's charging about half of that.

There's no such thing as "standard". All there is, is what the market will endure. Surely the Real Estate value collapse in the USA has taught us that. The only price that matters is the price a seller and buyer can agree upon.

I want great builders to get compensated rightly. I also want to see great instruments priced within the reach of mere mortals.

But more than either of those, I want the free market to win. Free markets are competitive markets. And in a competitive market everyone wins.

Quality Uke builders will get paid, buyers will get instruments they want and crappy uke builders will go out of business.

And I think we all agree that we want to see more quality Ukes.

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
By Mr Howlett words he said materials are about 100.00, Mr Wixom sells his custom tenors from 500.00 and up
isn't that a fair markup??? how much does Mr Howlett sells his uke for and can you imagine his markup..what do
you think now in that perspective...building for free, I think not...Don't restaurants have 300% mark up and that
about where you wanna be??

To be fair. It's more than the cost of materials. There's payroll, advertising, utilities, etc. I think depending on the situation anywhere from 15% to 50% profit is common for hand built items (furniture, instruments, art, etc).

ukeykondo
02-04-2012, 09:25 AM
There are other ukulele makers out there who charge similar prices to him--like Covered Bridge ukuleles, which I understand are very good. Basic Black bear ukes are crazily cheap, too. Also, keep in mind that Willie will only make around 12 ukes a year. That is very unlikely to drive down the entire market or have any kind of meaningful impact on it. I certainly do not think that the existence of Covered Bridge, Willie and even the Black Bear make anyone less likely to buy a Devine or a custom Moore Bettah. Different product, different market.

GX9901
02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
you think now in that perspective...building for free, I think not...Don't restaurants have 300% mark up and that
about where you wanna be??

Well, maybe not for "free", but I think it might as well be. You need to consider their working wage. Let's just take the 20 hours per uke Pete mentioned. At the U.S. minimum wage, which I think is now around $7.50 or so (I think, I'm not sure), that's $150 worth of labor. I think Pete is low on the material cost because I've seen semi-curly koa ukulele wood sets for more than $100, not to mention braces, necks, tuners, fretboards, fretboard wires, MOP inlays, logos, etc. OK, so let's just say it's $100 for materials and $150 for minimum wage labor. There are still overheads for running the power tools and other things.

Anyway, to me offering a custom built tenor for $450 (Willie's starting price) is more or less working for free once you consider all the costs. Which I think is perfectly fine, but I just note that it would be a very difficult way to make a living if he had to make a living doing this.

GX9901
02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
By the way, since when did Duane Heilman (Black Bear) become a budget custom ukulele builder? I know he's been offering some bare bones ukes for very good prices, but when I started playing the ukulele 5 years ago, his ukes were among the highest end on par with Glyph, William King, Talsma, etc. He built some seriously nice high-end stuff and they were expensive!

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
There are other ukulele makers out there who charge similar prices to him--like Covered Bridge ukuleles, which I understand are very good. Basic Black bear ukes are crazily cheap, too. Also, keep in mind that Willie will only make around 12 ukes a year. That is very unlikely to drive down the entire market or have any kind of meaningful impact on it. I certainly do not think that the existence of Covered Bridge, Willie and even the Black Bear make anyone less likely to buy a Devine or a custom Moore Bettah. Different product, different market.

Not much info on how to contact Covered Bridge Ukes :(

ukeykondo
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Covered-Bridge-Ukuleles/194736710602006

Not much info on how to contact Covered Bridge Ukes :(

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Covered-Bridge-Ukuleles/194736710602006

I think if you're going to hang a shingle out, you should have a phone number at the very least. An email address would be nice.

ukeykondo
02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
soon there will be no phone numbers and email addresses. Only facebook and ukulele underground

I think if you're going to hang a shingle out, you should have a phone number at the very least. An email address would be nice.

mm stan
02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
In the restaurant business if food cost is a 100.00...the markup to 3 times that at 300.00...includes the overhead within that. say using your numbers forget the labor for now and think of materials and overhead, well no shop and no rent but equipment and utilties.. that would be half or 50% of what he's charging..that is not bad at all..

foxfair
02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I applaud for Mr. Wixom's woodcraft passion and personally not mind about the price, at all. I was able to order a custom ukulele in over 1.5k price range, but I am also glad to see another luthier to set his own price freely. He's retired and these ukes are the result of his free time and love about wood work. I don't see any impact to the overall market, but I do see more people to step into custom uke area. In a long term, I think it will be a good thing.

cioncedence? Mya-moe just had a video talking about their pricing and focus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3zpa_B570

southcoastukes
02-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Hello folks,

I’d like to comment a bit on the some of the economics being speculated about here. First, Pete obviously left one word out of his second post. That word was “kit”. Buying a ukulele kit will put your materials at around $100, and having the parts already milled means you can build it in 20 hours using an oil finish. I would doubt, however, that anyone would be jumping at Mr. Wixon’s prices if that was what he was doing.

There is no “business model” that exists which will allow you to build a high end instrument for these prices. I won’t bore you with the details, but shouldn’t it be obvious? Throw out the “loss leader” idea as well. It’s almost unheard of for a business to be able to double their prices, even if they manage to establish a sterling reputation for quality. Wasn’t it Willie himself who said this was not to be a career, but a hobby?

It’s not shameful for him to charge these prices, nor is it wrong in any way for people to take advantage of them. But lutherie is noble work, and it’s attractive both as a profession and a hobby. As several have remarked, more and more hobbyists of varied skill levels are selling ukuleles. I think Pete has a right to be concerned, not about Mr. Wixon in particular, but of that trend in general.

The market may finally eliminate professional ukulele luthiers altogether. Yes, there are established professionals now, but if the trend continues, will anyone really be able to afford to become established in the future with so many folks charging hobby prices?

I think a good topic for debate here might be whether the possibility of the end of ukulele building as a profession would have any long term consequences on the future quality of the instruments themselves. Pete seems to think so. How about you?

garyg
02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Okay I should have qualified that to not include rainy days in winter, but frankly are you really saying that Sacto has high humidity, especially in the April to October period when there are high temperatures and almost no rain? cheers, g2

It's true about the temp ranges, but humidity in the valley gets very high in the summer. Today is cool (by California standards) and clear in the Sacramento area and RH is well above 60%.

I don't think you need to worry about the K-brands. These ukes are still primarily hand-built instruments and they can only ramp up production so far while maintaining brand quality. Kamaka just raised their prices.

Edit: I just spoke with Willie and he said he does not store his wood or ukes in the garage shop. He only works on one or two ukes at a time. All the wood comes back into the house when he's done working on it and the house temps & humidity levels are comfortable for him and his wife.

JamieFromOntario
02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you Dirk for your words of moderation and dialogue.

I hope that others can follow your lead and continue to discuss the topic critically. I too would be interested to think about and discuss the implications and effects of cheaper-than-average custom ukes.

Plus, these ukes look awesome....wish I had the cash...

Kanaka916
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
OK . . . I think we're headed in the wrong direction. The topic is about Willie Wixom's ukuleles and not about the economics and production and how it's gonna affect the market. There are other builders/luthiers/craftsmen who do sell in that price range long before this thread was ever conceived. And now it's of concern? For example, take the 808, there are a lot of people who build ukes on the side and work out of their homes. As Sean Yacavone pointed out, there's too many to keep track of. Has it diminished the marketplace that the K brands hold? I don't think so. I would ask to please hold the discussion about the economics of the Ukulele market in another thread. Thank You . . .

Dan Uke
02-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Very interesting topic. First of all, I'm sure most hobbiests aren't thinking about warranty issues so they can lower their prices. Secondly, I don't think people who are buying from them are asking them to make one that sounds like a "K" brand or any other famous uke maker. Most buyers want a "custom" uke and the price makes it very attractive.

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
soon there will be no phone numbers and email addresses. Only facebook and ukulele underground

Indeed, true enough :)

itsscottwilder
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
OK, so circling back around to Willie as per the Mods instructions:

I'm concerned that the subtle implication that's starting to appear is that because he hasn't made x amount of Ukes, he shouldn't be considered a professional. That's ridiculous. What's the difference between a professional and an amateur? Getting paid for your work. That's it. Nothing else. I am a professional IT Administrator. It doesn't matter that I don't work for Google, Facebook, Apple, or Microsoft. What matters is that whatever skill I have is great enough for people who value my skill to pay for it. Willie is a professional regardless of how many builders here look down their nose at him.

I'm also a bit taken aback by the idea that anyone but Willie (or any other builder) knows what he needs to be pricing his ukes at. Willie is in a season most of us would love to be in. Living in retirement mode doing exactly the thing that he loves doing most. Not you, or me or anyone else can tell him what that life is worth or at what point the craft you love ceases to be love and begins being a job.

If you think it's better for your business and the Uke community to for good folks like Wille to get out of the Uke market then please let me know who you are so I can put you on my list of brands to avoid.

slackkey007
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM

I'm concerned that the subtle implication that's starting to appear is that because he hasn't made x amount of Ukes, he shouldn't be considered a professional. That's ridiculous. What's the difference between a professional and an amateur? Getting paid for your work. That's it. Nothing else. I am a professional IT Administrator. It doesn't matter that I don't work for Google, Facebook, Apple, or Microsoft. What matters is that whatever skill I have is great enough for people who value my skill to pay for it. Willie is a professional regardless of how many builders here look down their nose at him.

I'm also a bit taken aback by the idea that anyone but Willie (or any other builder) knows what he needs to be pricing his ukes at. Willie is in a season most of us would love to be in. Living in retirement mode doing exactly the thing that he loves doing most. Not you, or me or anyone else can tell him what that life is worth or at what point the craft you love ceases to be love and begins being a job.

If you think it's better for your business and the Uke community to for good folks like Wille to get out of the Uke market then please let me know who you are so I can put you on my list of brands to avoid.

Ho! Bruddah Scott!

AMEN Brah!!!

GX9901
02-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Back on topic. Another question I would have for those who have played Willie's instruments is what level of instrument would you compare them to? So far there's a comparison to Mele (which is pretty good, since Meles are highly regarded by their owners). How does it compare to other makers in your experience? Hawaiian K's? Other custom builders?

southcoastukes
02-04-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm concerned that the subtle implication that's starting to appear is that because he hasn't made x amount of Ukes, he shouldn't be considered a professional. That's ridiculous. What's the difference between a professional and an amateur? Getting paid for your work. That's it. Nothing else....Willie is a professional regardless of how many builders here look down their nose at him.

I'm also a bit taken aback by the idea that anyone but Willie (or any other builder) knows what he needs to be pricing his ukes at.... Not you, or me or anyone else can tell him what that life is worth or at what point the craft you love ceases to be love and begins being a job. If you think it's better for your business and the Uke community to for good folks like Wille to get out of the Uke market then please let me know who you are so I can put you on my list of brands to avoid.

Scott-

Hope you weren't "implying" me. It's always easier to say what you mean straight out. I don't like to "imply" things myself.

Nowhere did I say that Willie or anyone else should stop doing what they do or change their prices. Just look, however, at your own definition of "professional". My point was that he is not getting paid. I do know something about materials and labor, and I also agree with your definition of "professional", so in that sense, he is not a professional. Ukulele building is not his "profession". I'm saying nothing about his abilities. From the looks and the early reports he's a good builder.

JohnnyAppleseed was not a professional either, but people still remember him today.

I know our esteemed moderator would like us to stay on Willie, so my apologies. Still his remark:

"take the 808, there are a lot of people who build ukes on the side and work out of their homes. As Sean Yacavone pointed out, there's too many to keep track of. Has it diminished the marketplace that the K brands hold? I don't think so."

was the kind of dialogue I was interested in. But he's correct, this thread is about Willie, should be in another thread.

Drew Bear
02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Okay I should have qualified that to not include rainy days in winter, but frankly are you really saying that Sacto has high humidity, especially in the April to October period when there are high temperatures and almost no rain? cheers, g2
Gary, I've never lived in the Sacto area, but I've lived in the general vicinity and have visited that area hundreds of times during my life in the SF bay area. Yes, it is hot and muggy in the summer even without any rain. There hasn't been rain any time recently and the humidity levels are definitely fine outdoors. Indoors of course depends on the heating method, so that is a fair concern.

mm stan
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Just one's persons .......... and we end up with all this....there will always be a market for high end ukes ....I believe Willie is doing the ukulele community well with his prices...He can charge
whatever he chooses... He's just starting off and he is offering reasonable prices is a great way to spread the word on his ukes and get reconized and noticed... are you implying that he should sell his ukes at the custom market prices?? Get real... He is a true craftsman and his works show it.sure he's getting some builders worried...but isn't that good overall...it will push the
bar up on builders to build a better product...compitition always does that....and many have stated he isn't making money...do you really know for sure??? don't make assumptions without facts..
He told one of us he's building more ukes to increase his inventory...now does that sound like he's not making money??

Drew Bear
02-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Here are some bits that might be of interest to prospective customers. Willie has sold all of the stock ukes except for #107. He has a few (no where close to 10 yet) custom orders and was talking about a build rate of 1 or 2 ukes per month. I got the impression he does not want this hobby to turn into 40-50 hour work-weeks. My tentative order has a very rough completion date of May.

I was talking to him about a Tenor, so the following applies to that scale:

- the back is slightly "domed", a bit like Kanile'a Tenors (my interpretation, not his words)
- the soundboard is of uniform thickness (not thinner along the edges) and will vary depending on wood set, but he mentioned 1.7 mm
- he does not use screws in either the neck or bridge
- one piece neck, not reinforced

bluesuke
02-04-2012, 05:48 PM

The phone # is on the page and you can message us on Face Book as well

808boy
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Aloha,
Someone mentioned my comparing them to my Mele. Well, EXCUSE ME if I felt MY MELE was just as GOOD and even BETTER than some K-BRANDS (all of THEM) that I tried while vacationing on Maui for 4 months. If YOU don't know it, all ukes vary in sound and feel, even the same model numbers. I may be 65 years old, but I do know what I like in feel and sound. Along with Kanaka916, we also had a semi professional uke player entertainer is very versed in playing and knowing what a good uke should sound and feel like. He's owned a number of different K-Brands. His assessment mirrored mine.
All we did was give an honest opinion of Willie's ukes for our membership. If you seriously doubt our INTEGRITY, YOU can take it with a grain of salt and sh_ve it..............................BO................ ...
P.S. Besides, I like USA built instruments..........

mds725
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Here are some bits that might be of interest to prospective customers. Willie has sold all of the stock ukes except for #107. He has a few (no where close to 10 yet) custom orders and was talking about a build rate of 1 or 2 ukes per month. I got the impression he does not want this hobby to turn into 40-50 hour work-weeks. My tentative order has an ETA of May.

I'm glad I jumped in when I did and bought #106.

GX9901
02-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Aloha,
Someone mentioned my comparing them to my Mele. Well, EXCUSE ME if I felt MY MELE was just as GOOD and even BETTER than some K-BRANDS (all of THEM) that I tried while vacationing on Maui for 4 months. If YOU don't know it, all ukes vary in sound and feel, even the same model numbers. I may be 65 years old, but I do know what I like in feel and sound. Along with Kanaka916, we also had a semi professional uke player entertainer is very versed in playing and knowing what a good uke should sound and feel like. He's owned a number of different K-Brands. His assessment mirrored mine.
All we did was give an honest opinion of Willie's ukes for our membership. If you seriously doubt our INTEGRITY, YOU can take it with a grain of salt and sh_ve it..............................BO................ ...

Um, I was just asking for more comparisons other than Mele if possible. I don't believe I've put down Mele ukes in anyway. If that's how it came across I apologize. (I'm pretty sure I mentioned that all Mele owners think highly of them) I have very limited exposure with Mele ukes, just a couple or really old looking ones at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet maybe about 4 years ago, so I was hoping for others who have played Willie's ukes to chime in with comparisons to other makes.

Anyway, I was more curious than anything. This thread is 10 pages long and so far I think Willie's ukes have only been compared to Meles. I'm just wondering if they compare favorably with other makers.

Hippie Dribble
02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm glad I jumped in when I did and bought #106.

mmm...that one's a sweetie Mark, good buy!!!!

mds725
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
mmm...that one's a sweetie Mark, good buy!!!!

Thanks, Jon. I have to say I was also tempted by the zebrawood soprano you like so much, except that I don't generally play a soprano scale. I did think about ordering a custom, as you did, but I tend to be impatient and just really liked the way #106 looked. Congrats on your custom! It ought to be a real sweet ukulele as well.

808boy
02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Aloha,
In the event you didn't understand my post, it was my comparison to other K-Brands that I played and how it faired with my Mele and yes to the ukes in question. I thought it stood up well. Like my Mele, as good as some and better than others(k-brands included). I played a brand new Kamaka HF-3 that I thought sounded a little muddy, maybe bad new strings? who knows. I felt Willie's uke sounded pretty close to a Kanilea Tenor costing 3 times as much. For me in my retirement years, a no brainer....great sound at 1/3 the cost?..WHY NOT.................Just my opinion...............
BTW....I could have afforded any K in reason, but chose not to. I don't go headstock shopping.............BO............... no offense taken.................

justinlcecil
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
custom order in the works. Beautiful ukes at a price a college kid can afford.

Nickie
02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, I can't help myself. UAS and all.... I'm pulling the trigger on one of these babies, too... Willie sounds very nice, and if the workmanship really looks like the photos, and somebody said they sound good... what the heck?

mm stan
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Aloha Nickie..
Good Call..didn't you just buy a uke?? hmmm

gokidd
02-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Aloha Nickie..
Good Call..didn't you just buy a uke?? hmmm

Mebbe Ms. Nickie is a lovely Tampa Bay Corn Heiress.
She bought stock in corn when it was cheap and now in Tampa Bay, it's a Buck-an-ear.

Dan Uke
02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Mebbe Ms. Nickie is a lovely Tampa Bay Corn Heiress.
She bought stock in corn when it was cheap and now in Tampa Bay, it's a Buck-an-ear.

Haha...how long have you been saving that joke? Good timing

modern day ukuleleist
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
These can't be solid wood, can they?

Is he losing money?

808boy
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Aloha MDU,
It is all solid wood and his profit is marginal at best. It's his hobby and he loves what he's doing and the fact that his efforts are appreciated. Solid Man, solid ukes, affordable price......NO BRAINER for me....................BO.............

modern day ukuleleist
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks a bunch for the info. 808boy.

Love my mainland tenor but I almost wish I had known about this.

Nickie
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up. Yes, I just got another uke, a nice Tenor OS, but I traded my Ahbory bass for it.
(The truth is, I'm filthy rich, LOL)
Hey, I have UAS, and I'm sure it's a bug I picked up here.... I can't help it.
My plan is to have my Kala stay like it is, gCEA for gigs, it has a pickup, the Tenor maybe set up GCEA, 'cause I love to fingerpick and backup other players, The WW set up in higher tuning for goofing around with different songs, and the Moku I wanna buy set up in slack key tuning...
Is that weird?

mm stan
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Yup Nickie,
You certainly have the early stages of the UAS disease..he he not weird at all..ha ha

gokidd
02-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Is that weird?

If loving uke is wrong, I don't want to be right.