Willie Wixom custom ukes from Northern California

gokidd

Reaction score
Oh, man. Just got clued-in on a new web site premiere!! Take a look at the instruments being created by Willie Wixom -- some really gorgeous craftsmanship. I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound! http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/ And he offers custom work ...

wow those are some really fine looking instruments!

That $450 mango uke looks like a $2000 uke. How can they make it for 450? I know I want one if they sound as good as they look!

Wow. Custom solid wood ukes from $325.

I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound!
How would you compare it to the sound of your Islander MST-4? If you get a chance to stop by his place again, posting some YouTube sound samples would be appreciated.

The craftsmanship certainly looks high quality, but building a musical instrument is not a simple matter of excellent woodworking skills. It sounds like he is new to instrument building. Maybe he's a "natural" and has a gift for building ukulele, but even experienced guitar luthiers have commented that uke building has a pretty steep learning curve.

Thanks for the link. I'm probably only an hour or so away from him and will be very interested in hearing some reviews. His prices are in the same range as Brad's.

How would you compare it to the sound of your Islander MST-4? If you get a chance to stop by his place again, posting some YouTube sound samples would be appreciated.

I'd have to play them side by side to make that comparison, but the koa models I played were very resonant and balanced. They were strung Low-G. And the neck shape nicely fills the hand (coming from guitar background). Definitely give them a try if you get the chance!

Those are GREAT prices!

Aloha gokidd,
Mahalo for the heads up, looks good. Where is he in NorCal? Would like to check them out...............

Wherebouts is he at in the 916?

Regardless of price and looks, he has to pass the ear test. Should post some sound samples

Sounds comes first to me before looks. I'm curious to hear how they sound?

Word is Willie is not computer savvy, similar to Chuck Moore (and probably many other Luthiers) a few years ago. Hopefully someone in the 916 can pay him a visit and snag some video samples.

Oh, man. Just got clued-in on a new web site premiere!! Take a look at the instruments being created by Willie Wixom -- some really gorgeous craftsmanship. I've seen some of his work in person and it is fantastic in sight and sound! http://www.wawixomukuleles.com/ And he offers custom work ...

We all know it's you, you don't have to refer to yourself. :)

Sorry, Chuck. I meant no disrespect. The whole quote reads:
Word is Willie is not computer savvy, similar to Chuck Moore (and probably many other Luthiers) a few years ago.
I recall coming across a post from a few years back explaining why you didn't have any sound samples at the time. It was mostly because of your remote location, but you also claimed to be not very tech-savvy. I suspect you were being modest and were more capable than you let on, but the end result was you didn't have sound samples back then. You also said that you'd never heard a sound sample that fully captured the sound of a uke. I'm paraphrasing from memory, so forgive me if I misinterpreted or misremembered what you wrote.

Sorry, Chuck. I meant no disrespect. The whole quote reads:

I recall coming across a post from a few years back explaining why you didn't have any sound samples at the time. It was mostly because of your remote location, but you also claimed to be not very tech-savvy. I suspect you were being modest and were more capable than you let on, but the end result was you didn't have sound samples back then. You also said that you'd never heard a sound sample that fully captured the sound of a uke. I'm paraphrasing from memory, so forgive me if I misinterpreted or misremembered what you wrote.

I'm not at all offended. I'm just surprised anyone remembers anything I've said. 2,500 posts in 5 or 6 years and I can't remember what I posted yesterday. But that does sound like something I'd said. Fact is I think I'm pretty good with computers for an ol' coot. I built and maintain my own web site which I think is an accomplishment. I just can't download a damned video! I tried a few years ago and it took me two days and still couldn't get it right. Luckily I don't have to worry about that since there are better videographers and players that are happy to contribute to my web site.

Back to the topic......I think the luthier in question is smart to price his work low especially if he is just beginning the craft. As his experience grows, the demand will follow and surely his prices will increase.

Dom lives in Rocklin . . . I'll give Willie a call and arrange for a visitation along with 808Boy. So, everybody, jus cool yo jets! BTW, there are a number of people who do buy based on aesthetics.

@ Kanaka916, PM me time and day (Thurs. or Fri.) Catch you latahs..............................BO...................

Top Bottom