PDA

View Full Version : Going to Cerrotos for the uke fest anyone going to be there?

MGM
09-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Finally packed the last of the boxes going to Cerritos and everything from Boobblehead tourist dolls to high end custom ukuleles are in the Air..Anyone from UU going this saturday? I hear the weather will be perfect for wonderful day in the california sunshine....

Toucan Mango
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
After a quick Internet search on this uke fest I wish I was going, looks like a lotta fun. I'm only around 3.5 hours North of there. Being a newbie to the ukulele I did not even know such fine events existed.

Dominator
09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
After a quick Internet search on this uke fest I wish I was going, looks like a lotta fun. I'm only around 3.5 hours North of there. Being a newbie to the ukulele I did not even know such fine events existed.

Is there a reason you can't go? There are different ticket packages that can be purchased and any of those that include the luau and/or Concert are definately sold out. But that does not mean that you can't purchase the cheaper festival ticket that allows you to hang out with all the vendors, meet other ukulele players, attend the workshops and watch the live perfromances on the inside stage all day long. So unless you have other committments I say come on down.

Nurdaben
09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
i should be there on saturday, so ill look for ya, ill have the red snap-on tools racing hat =) only hat i have atm =P but gotta protect the buzzed head =P

Misguided Musician
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
how much is it for the cheaper festival ticket?

FunkyPeaNutZ
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I'll be there, reppin' the UU shirt. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the UU fam bam.

UkEdman90
09-30-2008, 06:05 PM
I'll be there, reppin' the UU shirt. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the UU fam bam.

MAN! this sux!!! i had plans to go and everything then my Dad wants to go on one last backpacking trip with me due to his physical shape so how can i turn that down? N e ways MGM the weather is great! a lil hot right now but is slowly cooling down should b like 75 and sunny perfect for uke'n oh and like 43% humidity so real nice! should be loads of fun let me know how it goes yal!

Dominator
09-30-2008, 06:21 PM
how much is it for the cheaper festival ticket?

Ok, depending on each individuals financial situation, cheaper but maybe not cheap. I think they are $22. Very well worth it if you participate in some of the workshops and watch the performances etc.

www.ukulelefestival.org You can check the website to confirm.

MGM
09-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Dom are you at the Sheraton? I will be checking in on thursday morning.

Dominator
09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Dom are you at the Sheraton? I will be checking in on thursday morning.

Yep. I will be checking in at around 3:00pm. Until then I will be just bummin around. Probably hookup with Konabob and do some jamming. I get in early Friday morning.

Toucan Mango
09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Is there a reason you can't go? There are different ticket packages that can be purchased and any of those that include the luau and/or Concert are definately sold out. But that does not mean that you can't purchase the cheaper festival ticket that allows you to hang out with all the vendors, meet other ukulele players, attend the workshops and watch the live perfromances on the inside stage all day long. So unless you have other committments I say come on down.

Ya I stumbled upon this event a little late. We will look forward to going to the next one though & get in on the luau/concert package for sure.

salukulady
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794

been talking about it for months, kiddies.......

MGM
10-01-2008, 02:38 AM
by the way, JOE and KRISTIN owners of Kanilea Ukulele will be at my booth on staurday at 11;30am to answer any questions about Kanilea Ukuleles..Come by and say hello to them as they are the nicest couple and full of aloha

Tim
10-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Looking foreword to my first Ukulele fest! Hope to meet a few of you...they have added a little rain to the forecast..hope they're wrong!

salukulady
10-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Looking foreword to my first Ukulele fest! Hope to meet a few of you...they have added a little rain to the forecast..hope they're wrong!
.....it never rains in california.....

ke leo
10-01-2008, 07:24 AM
I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting everyone :D

MGM
10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
oh oh. gotta get of da computah and go airpoort....wheres my keys? where;s my wallet?, wheres my cellphone?. Ahhhhhhhhh Where's my brains.......another typical day LOL....oophs where's my tickets????

Nurdaben
10-03-2008, 03:11 PM
So can we set up a time and place for all the UUers to meet up? MGMs stand might be a good place =P

OrangeUke
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok, depending on each individuals financial situation, cheaper but maybe not cheap. I think they are $22. Very well worth it if you participate in some of the workshops and watch the performances etc.

www.ukulelefestival.org You can check the website to confirm.

umm...do you know how long the vendors will be open because if I go, it would be after 3:00 and all the workshops would be finished by then :(

...so I'm not sure if there would still be stuff for me to do...

Nurdaben
10-04-2008, 04:24 AM
well my dad and I are about to head out there. so stop me if you see me =)

SuperSecretBETA
10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I completely forgot about this... and it's raining outside! Keep your ukes safe out there.

devin_with_an_i
10-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately I didn't check the forums until now. When's the next event in the LA area?

Nurdaben
10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I just got home and I had a great day =).

Saw a couple of you there in the morning. My dad supported MGM and bought a couple pairs of strings =P

We didnt stay long because we didnt buy tickets to get inside so we just browsed the vendors for a couple hours. Got to play a lot of ukes.

After we left we stoped at a uke shop on the way home too and played all thier ukes.

After all that I have come to the conclusion my consert ohana ck-10s needs to be upgraded =P ( i really liked the pono tenor low g and two wound strings )

We ended up playing music for bout 3 hours. and my fingers are sore =)

hope you all had a great time

Cuppycakes
10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
lol. I bought that Pono low G tenor that MGM had there XD. I didn't have a ticket either so I just walked around, saw Dominator, MGM, Joe Souza, Mike DaSilva, met some people from UU there for the first time. It was kinda awkward though, seeing as I've seen these people posting and making videos online, but no one knows who I am since i don't make any videos or post much on here. It was fun though, got to play a bunch ukes, and got myself a Pono PKT-1! :D

ke leo
10-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I got you on video cuppy, so soon you will be very well known!!!!

ke leo
10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
2AM. Just got home. Left Dom, BruddaMark and others in the lobby (after closing down the bar) of the Sheraton jammin' Wahine Ilikea. Got Ohta-San to autograph my Kamaka Ohta-San ukulele. Met a dozen UUers. Played over 10 ukuleles. Ate Hawaiian fried chicken and kalua pig. Shot over 2 hours of video including Facemeltingukulele and Dominator. You tell me, was it a good day?!!! :D

polynesianpop
10-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Ke Leo,
It was nice meeting you brah! Sounds like I missed a hell of an afterparty at the Sheraton. Looking forward to seeing the vids! :)

ricdoug
10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
First, THANKS to all who coordinated and set up this
grandiose event! With all the time, work and resources,
y'all must be beat! It was greatly appreciated by all.
Many thanks, also, to the City of Cerritos!

Being a new club, playing next to last at the Club Night,
we watched the many impressive acts that followed a
multitude of genres. It was intimidating, to some. I told
my comrades to just have fun and power through it!
Well, none of us expired on the stage and as we were
walking off the stage from our set, we were called back
for an encore. After about 15 seconds of robust debate,
we agreed to play a hula. The audience was very kind
and supportive. We could hear Fred Thompson cheering
us on! LOL! All of our leaders had to cancel out in the
last days before the Band Night, due to work and other
commitments. I got tagged "band leader", at the show.

Several of the San Diegan's stayed overnight and
attended the festival, workshops, luau and concert.
Unfortunately, I had to work on Saturday and missed
all the fun and excitement.

I finally met the Dominator! Very nice gentleman. He let
me try out one of his tenors. Rich harmonics, great
intonation and an action set up the way guitarists love!

There were also many members of the Ukulele
Underground in attendance. KeLeo videotaped some
short introductions, for the UU. Sally was right! Ke Leo
lied about his age in the UU How Old Are You post. I'd
be surprized if he can legally drink beer! LOL! Ke Leo
must have the fountain of youth, in his backyard.

I'll post photos, when I get the time. I'm playing with
another group at the Surf Museum, later today.

http://www.surfmuseum.org

A great big Mahalo to all!

Ric Douglas, Ukulele Underground/Ukulele Society of America

Nurdaben
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
wow out till 2am. You really got your moneys worth out of that 22 bucks =P

ke leo
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Ric, you guys did a great job!!! Sorry you couldn't make it back Sat. Plan on next year!

salukulady
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry I missed the whole gig, had a major melt down and decided I had to pull out this year.....just too many things on my what I expect out of myself list and something had to give....the festival was the casualty of my over scheduling myself. I will plan my time better next year........I'm glad everything went well and you all had fun!