Your recommended tenor/concert ukulele under $100 from HMS?

The Kala tenor is always good but it's for 109 dollars. I'm sure you wouldn't mind including an extra 10 for great quality right? I've personally owned one and was very happy until I upgraded.

Makala ukuleles are also good for the price, their tenors going for only 70 dollars on the site. I don't have a tenor version but I do own their baritone version which is also good.

Another good thing about HMS is that they give set ups before they send the ukulele to you so you'll be happy with the playability and everything, no doubt.

Also $109 - Islander MC4. I've read nothing but raves about them here and elsewhere.

Sounds like you aren't sure about the size you want. I started with a Kala KA-T tenor, which got me hooked. When I decided to switch to a concert, I moved up a step to a mahogany Mainland. No regrets on either purchase.

If you need to stay under $100 it's definately the Makala, with Aquila strings and a proper set up they can't be beat for the money. The MK-T was my first uke and I have purchased a couple others for friends and family and they all play quite nice. I think, and have heard many others say they sound better than the Kala KA series (Kala and Makala are both made by Kala). But as others have said, I've heard nothing but good things about the Islanders.

Last edited:
Lihn, I understand you have a tight budget and want to pick the right uke for you, but this is the third thread you've started asking essentially the same question. As you've probably noticed by now, you are unlikely to get a consensus here; some will recommend Islanders, others Kala and others yet Makala...on it goes.

You've made a good decision in buying from one of the uke sellers who will provide a proper setup. Now you must pick a uke. None of us can do that for you. No offense intended, but I think you are over thinking this process. Been there, done that. To paraphrase Nike, just decide.

When it comes to Tenor ukes around $100, you're not going to get much. Just a bare bones intro laminate uke. Get the Makala and it will be dirt cheap, get the Kala or the Islander for tad over $100 and you will get a slightly better made instrument. Personally, if I had your sort of budget it would be a coin toss between the Islander and the Kala. I'd pass on the Makala. They are a bit too cheap and the quality of the instrument starts to hinder playability in some ways.

The thing about ukes in the this price range is that you are not looking for great sound quality, construction or looks because you're not going to find it. The most important thing is getting a uke that works. Good intonation, action, tuners that work... I know Kala ukes are pretty well made across the board and I've heard the same about Islander ukes. Either of those ukes with a good setup will be very playable.

Last edited:
Aloha,
All good suggestions/comments made above. Now, do yourself a big favor and just do it. Go for whatever turns your wheels. Get it ASAP so you can start your uke journey.....it probably won't be your last purchase anyway..................BO.....................

You could just buy a makala tenor/concert and use it for a few weeks/months/years while you save up for a solid wood.

The makala is great, probably not as great as kala or islander BUT it will do the job for a few weeks/months/possibly years until you get a solid wood.

Lihn, I understand you have a tight budget and want to pick the right uke for you, but this is the third thread you've started asking essentially the same question. As you've probably noticed by now, you are unlikely to get a consensus here; some will recommend Islanders, others Kala and others yet Makala...on it goes.

You've made a good decision in buying from one of the uke sellers who will provide a proper setup. Now you must pick a uke. None of us can do that for you. No offense intended, but I think you are over thinking this process. Been there, done that. To paraphrase Nike, just decide.

Yeah...just do it!! As long as you don't have expectations that it's going to sound like a high-end uke, they will all be similar and at least, you get good setup.

Top Bottom