A small dilema...

MadMatt

Reaction score
I sent my Ortega Tenor back yesterday because the intonation was not correctly. Now I am Uke less.

I am now thinking of a Kala ASAC-T as that seems to be the go-to beginner tenor from what I have read here. Ok sounds like my problem is solved... *sigh* now if only life was that simple ;)

The problem is that I have the opportunity to get a Kanile'a Deluxe K-1 Tenor at a reasonable price that I can afford (I sold a few Basses recently). I live in Germany and there are not many Kanile'a's (Or any other island brands for that matter) on the Market here. Now bear in mind I am a beginner so this is where my dilemma starts...

I know the Kala is more than enough Uke for my level of playing... and I like the looks of it... but then there is the sexy Kanile'a that I cant get out of my head... I am really afraid I will regret passing it up. I have not played it yet (I do that on Tuesday) but I am wondering if it would be insane for getting the Kanile'a even though I am still struggling with tangled and sore fingers. :eek:

I am 43 and will probably never be able to play to the Kanile'a's abilities.

Your help is appreciated.

-M@

Last edited:
Don't be silly--43 is young. I'm 20 yrs older than you and embarking on playing again after decades. I'm not worried. If the Kanile'a is really at a good price, buy it. You can always sell it, and meanwhile it will be an inspiration to keep at it.

I'm 10 years older than you and I am just starting on the uke, too!

My advice? Got the one that you want. They always say to get the best instrument you can afford. If you play it on Tuesday and love it, grab it! You deserve a nice instrument to play on! (When my old $100 upright piano died, I debated getting a baby grand. I had always wanted one. I am not a great pianist but I knew I would never get another piano. So, I made payments and bought it. I have never regretted buying it. I am not a baby grand worthy pianist, but I love it.)

Go for it!!

Go for it. If you can't get it out of your mind now, and you pass, you'll never get it out of your mind for the rest of your life!

+1 on buying the Kanile'a. It's a great uke, apparently at a good price for you. If you decide you don't want it anymore, you will not have any trouble to sell it.

If things don't work out the Kanile'a will have better resale value, but I doubt you'll want to sell it.

Hey you're still alot younger than I am..I wish I was your age....Yes try the Kanilea and if it is in your budget, and you like it...spurge on it...it will make you happy..Go for it..
let us Know it you get it...Happy Strummings... there are many late bloomers to the uke...doesn't mean you still cannot have fun...in fact, you will have the time of your life...

There are Kanile'a dealers in Euroland. Heck, ukulele.de even has Kamakas. The K-brand drought in Europe is over. The Kanilea feels so nice. I'm not up to what it's capable of either, but it's totally spoiled me. If you don't know of places in Europe to find them

Mercantino in Italy has some choice Kanilea's. No surprise considering they ARE Aquila strings. Just look at the addresses of each company, it's Aquila, totally reputable, great people to deal with.

Exquisite in France is also an authorized dealer, as is Ukebox.

Of these, I've dealt with Mercantino and Southern Ukulele Store on ebay numerous times with much success. If you need a Kanile'a, you don't have to ship from the US if you don't want to. SUS doesn't seem to have Kanilea's at the moment, but stock always changes so worth asking if the others don't suit you. :)

...will probably never be able to play to the Kanile'a's abilities.
This is probably true for most of us with high-end ukes. The K-1 is my first uke. I figured life is short, so buy the best I can afford and do the best I can to make better music each day. I hoped (and believe) that such an instrument not only inspires me to learn, but actually makes learning easier.

Go for it! I doubt you will regret buying it, but would probably regret not buying it.

Thanks everyone, you have come through and told me exactly what I want to hear! :)

I really like both but the Kala I can get any time so if the K1 sounds to me likings I will definitely pull the trigger.

Now who can help Tuesday get here sooner :D

Get the absolutely best instrument you can afford. You will be far more likely to succeed for several reasons, and if it's a top-end uke it will hold its resale value much better. (I have both bought and sold used KoAloha ukuleles at prices that were 90% or better of their new price.)

I am currently trying to downsize, and I have four tenors. When I open the case of my Kanile'a KT-1 Deluxe, I always think holy cow, how could I ever even think of selling it? The only thing I have trouble with is that the gloss finish makes it extra slippery for me. They are wonderful ukes and the price just went up on them last year to where I could not buy this one again. I do love Kalas and own a cheap watermelon uke which is a super little uke, but if I was buying a new tenor and it was my only one, I will add my voice the the UU Enablers Club and would sure pick the Kanile'a. ;) If it's a deal and you can afford it, get the best you can afford, it adds to the long term enjoyment and should help curb the feeling that you need to keep searching for "the One".

Just don't be blinded by the name or it's looks when you go see it, look it over carefully to make sure that it doesn't have any issues, and if you can, do make the effort to take a few minutes to sit with it and do a little strumming and picking. Also ask the owner to play it for you, and you sit in front of it so you can hear it from that angle. Doing that, you should be able to hear any buzzes or other issues. Also try to make sure it's properly tuned. If you fret the first string fifth fret, and the second string third fret, and put your ear closer to the sound hole, and strum, you should hear a bell like resonance, like if you struck a bell and it rang and rang. Kanile'a is known for ring and sustain.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes. :cool:

Is that similar to the English noun, "dilemma"?

Oh please do grow up. We're all so nicey-nice that we allow people like this to run their little ego trips. No more. There are other countries that speak other languages, people mistype -are you so obtuse as to not know that? He's typing in a second, third, fourth language. But you probably just speak English reel gud. Go on, dazzle us with how self-important you are. We're all paying attention to you!

I don't care if the mods yet again ignore ichadwick's BS, and instead attack me because it's easier. This guy has been pushing people around for ages and I'm sick of it. Quit letting him get away with it!

Anyway, to address the pin bridge issue, there's no issue. The same knot that would hold in a slot bridge will hold in a pin bridge. The strings should stay put without the pin there. I fail at knots so it takes me longer, but I have the same problem with standard slot bridges.

Is that similar to the English noun, "dilemma"?

Oh, give it a rest, please! I'm quite the smart-arse and occasionally descend to pointing out puns or errors that are worth a chuckle but this is just mean, small-minded self importance run amuck.

Is your time of so little value that this seems like a good use of it?

John

Top Bottom