New Uke Day! No. 2 1/2

mketom

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my second soprano build. This was mostly done before I jumped ahead and finished up No. 3 to give to my Mom for Christmas.

This wonderful koa came from Hawaiian Hardwoods and begs for a gloss finish but still looks nice with Tru-Oil. The neck is mahogany recycled from a shipping crate (yes!), with ebony fretboard, headstock and bridge. The inlay is similar to my first since I had some leftover koa sapwood from the sides. Probably doesn't need the compensated saddle but I had this beautiful scrap of snakewood that I used for the nut and saddle.

It sounds really good IMO. Thanks to all the experts here who share their skills and made this possible!

Tom
No2_1.jpgNo2_2.jpgNo2_3.jpgNo2_4.jpgNo2_5.jpg

Tom,

That looks amazing, especially the inlay work. You must make more!

WOW! I love the inlay! Tree frogs are one of my favorite things! :D I love to hear them on a summer night! In fact, it was warm enough on Friday that I heard a bunch of them!

Nice wood, too!

Beautiful work. Is that a handmade compensated saddle? How did that work out? If you could grab a sound bite that would be much appreciated.

How's you Mom liking her Xmas present?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Great job! Would love to hear a sound bite too!

It's gorgeous! I love the frog inlay.. if it sounds half as good as it looks, you have one amazing uke there.

Congrats!

Aloha Mike,
Great Job...wow love the inlay and flamed koa....I personally like the white stripe in the wood in the middle of the sound board..I have a ko aloha like that...thank you for sharing
you do excellent work....you mom must be so happy...

Thanks people! I have it on my list to get some recording equip. and learn how edit video. Soon. And after seeing the disturbance in the force after the Collings guy at NAMM played a tune outta tune, I am going to go sit quietly now in the corner and practice a while.

Wow, it's stunning! My vote is to keep the hand rubbed finish; it's lovely as is.

that has to be the prettiest I have ever seen! You are extremely blessed to have the talent to make it. It is beautiful.

Top Bottom