FS: RISA Concert Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothpicktower

Reaction score
Hi all - A change of heart leads me to sell this 6 month old RISA. I just prefer playing my standard acoustic ukes. I find that these ukes are a little hard to play cuz there is so little to hang onto, I can't brace it to my body like a standard uke.

It is a great travel uke tho, except that airport security never fails to open up my suitcase after going thru the x-ray machine to try and figure out what the heck it is.

It is in totally new condition and has geared tuners and a passive built-in pickup. $260, you pay S&H. I live in the midwest of the US of A.

Thanks for your interest. - Ross
risa.jpg

I own the soprano, and for anyone looking for a uke to play while the family is asleep (yet, the player can still hear it), and for a bombproof traveler, this uke is it. It's wonderful. A keeper for me, for sure. I can practice in hotel lobby or airport terminal, for instance, without disturbing others. And yet, if I plug it in to any amp (even a travel battery powered amp), this thing rings truer than a church bell.

Wow, Ed. Thanks for the link to that video. I've sen other videos with RISAs, but not that particular one. My natural soprano is in it, too. Thanks for posting.

And, for anyone out there thinking about an electric uke, (peanut, etc.), this German made solid walnut uke is the bee's knees. Ross has it here for a huge, huge discount off the new price.
http://ukemaker.com/Risa-InstrumentsForSale.html

Someone will jump on this,. Ross. It's superb.

Last edited:
To make my Risa even more fun, I plug it into a Korg Pandora PX4A (http://www.korg.com/px4a) (the 'A' model is for piezo pickups, the 'D' for magnetic (e.g. steel string electrics).

-Phil

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking out for my first uke.

@Toothpicktower, is this Risa still available?

Is is still available? What is the difference between the geared and now planetary tuning pegs.

Jah hey. Still available.

It has planetary tuners, they are in line with the little drum the string is wound around. It is geared, but in line with the tuning drum. I'm not sure what the ratio is. I believe a simple "geared" peg would be at 90 degrees to the tuning drum, I'm not aware if RISA ukes ever had those. I know they originally had friction tuning pegs which were reportedly a little unwieldy.

- Ross

From what I can gather, planetary geared tuners are a kind of geared tuner, usually used on banjo headstocks. They often have 3:1 or 4:1 effort-to-post turn ratios.

Worm gear or "machine" tuners are the other major kind of geared tuners usually seen on the guitar family of instruments. This is the kind that feature a 90-degree turn between the post and the key. I've seen anywhere from 7:1 to 12:1 ratios for these.

Or, that's what the world of geared tuners looks like to someone who's yet to lay a hand on a uke. Corrections, please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom