Broken A string

nscafe

Reaction score
This has probably happened to many of us, but I felt like sharing.

The other day I'm in the kitchen, and I hear a weird sound from the living followed by my father-in-law saying, "I didn't do that". I wandered out to see what happened, and the A string on my concert Fluke had spontaneously broke while he was walking by it. I've had the current strings on it for a few months maybe, and apparently it had worn to the point that it was really thin at the bridge and just couldn't take it any more.

So now I'm in the market for a new set of strings. I've tried Aquilas and Martin fluorocarbons so far (the Martins were the ones that broke). I'm thinking Worth or maybe D'Addario next, but I'll have to order those online since the local stores only stock Aquilas and Martins.

Anyway, there's my random uke story for the day. :)

Try Worth. You get two sets in the package. This is also a good excuse to have a few different string packs lying around. ;)

That's a little spooky, but a worse sound is hearing a big muffled Bang! kind of sound, and later on opening a case and finding that one of your favorite vintage ukes has popped it's bridge.

The worst would be the few people who have gotten up in the middle of the night and stepped on something hard, or sat down on a couch without looking, and heard a cracking sound. :(

That's never happened to me. You can be positive you got money's worth from that Martin set.

Enjoy checking out another of your Fluke's voices. If you're going online for strings---the Ko'olau Gold set can sound real nice on a Fluke.

You think that is bad..How about you opening ukulele case and find your treasured kamaka custom and the bridge ripped off...

Try Worth. You get two sets in the package. This is also a good excuse to have a few different string packs lying around. ;)

That's a little spooky, but a worse sound is hearing a big muffled Bang! kind of sound, and later on opening a case and finding that one of your favorite vintage ukes has popped it's bridge.

The worst would be the few people who have gotten up in the middle of the night and stepped on something hard, or sat down on a couch without looking, and heard a cracking sound. :(

You think that is bad..How about you opening ukulele case and find your treasured kamaka custom and the bridge ripped off...

I'm thankful I haven't experienced any of those scenarios. With the custom Kamaka, did they repair that under warranty? I can't imagine spending $1,000 plus on a uke and having the bridge rip off. Ugh.

Top Bottom