Cordoba Ukulele?

CanIuke?

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here has a Cordoba Ukulele? I played a few I have liked and have had great luck so far with the sound and feel of the ones I played. Anyone else out there?

Yes I have to 20TM-CE tenor uke. I like it. Good construction, solid top and a fair retail price.

Although I'm still looking for the right strings. It hasn't quite captured the sound of me yet. It comes strung with Aquilla's which everyone here seems to like, but the Aquilla's haven't grown on me. Looking for a string that's a little gentler with the low mid harmonics.

But I'm sure we'll get there. Thinking of moving it to a low G tuning.

My first uke was a Cordoba Donovan Frankenreiter solid mahogany top model tenor. I won it in a drawing, so it wasn't like I went out of my way to choose it. But it's a very nicely made instrument, IMO.

A lot of people here seem to have less than stellar feelings about Cordobas. From what I hear, their quality can be hit or miss. Obviously, I got a good one. :)

Edit: It's the one that's my avatar.

Last edited:
I have a 25ck which I tried lots of strings on. I love the Fremont Black Line strings on it. Lovely tone.

Some on this board go out of their way to bag the brand, even inventing problems that don't exist to rubbish them. Cordoba had an issue that they sold some models as all solid wood back, sides and tops when in fact some had been made with laminated wood sides and somehow that has become enough for people to claim thay are laminate backs as well. Not true, but it doesn't stop the bagging. If you buy one, be prepared to put up some UUers trying to trash the brand. Do a search of threads by the brand name if you are feeling game.

I know, every uke is unique in my opinion, if it has a solid top it will sound good from my experience with concert uke's. But then again I just started playing a Ukulele 2 weeks ago, so I have played so many different models it's personal preference at this point. I played guitar for over 15 years so a Ukulele is pretty fun so far...thanks for the reply. :)

I have a 25ck which I tried lots of strings on. I love the Fremont Black Line strings on it. Lovely tone.

Some on this board go out of their way to bag the brand, even inventing problems that don't exist to rubbish them. Cordoba had an issue that they sold some models as all solid wood back, sides and tops when in fact some had been made with laminated wood sides and somehow that has become enough for people to claim thay are laminate backs as well. Not true, but it doesn't stop the bagging. If you buy one, be prepared to put up some UUers trying to trash the brand. Do a search of threads by the brand name if you are feeling game.

My only beef with cordoba is their marketing lies. I'll never own one but if you want one...More power to you. I just think there are more honest companies out there.

I will say that I went from hating the company to just disliking after the whole solid/laminate issue. I felt that Cordoba handled that situation very well.

I could not agree more, I went to my local music shop today and played about 10 different Ukuleles...Lanikai, Mahalo, Mitchell, and off brands....they all were very over priced and dissapointing in feel and tone IMO, but last week I played a Concert Cordoba and it was so sweet, played like butter, and sounded great!!! From what i have learned so far about Uke's, they are the same as any acoustic instrument would be, hit and miss, and every one is unique and has it's own sound, depending upon type of wood, and strings, and having an ear to hear the difference along with playing experience to feel the action and playability. Right now I'm on the hunt for a concert, I will post what I end up with on here soon. Thanks for replying~

I could not agree more, I went to my local music shop today and played about 10 different Ukuleles...Lanikai, Mahalo, Mitchell, and off brands....they all were very over priced and dissapointing in feel and tone IMO, but last week I played a Concert Cordoba and it was so sweet, played like butter, and sounded great!!! From what i have learned so far about Uke's, they are the same as any acoustic instrument would be, hit and miss, and every one is unique and has it's own sound, depending upon type of wood, and strings, and having an ear to hear the difference along with playing experience to feel the action and playability. Right now I'm on the hunt for a concert, I will post what I end up with on here soon. Thanks for replying~

Is it a solid koa one?

I had the 20TM but didn't like it. For the price, it was extremely well made, played very nicely and was set up perfectly from the factory. I liked everything about it except for the sound and the tuners. The tuners are an easy fix. You can pick up a much better set for less than $20. To me it sounded a bit thin and hollow. I expected a bit more from a solid wood instrument by Cordoba even in this price range. I've played better sounding laminate ukes, but in the end, it's a $150 uke. For $150 is a pretty damn good uke.

One of the women in my uke group just got one, not sure which model, but she loves it and it looked and sounded like a well made piece.

Top Bottom