Sold my Mahalo and now my girlfriend is pissed.

glasspipe79

Reaction score
I started out with a Mahalo U1 back in April. Then, after a few months, I decided to upgrade to a Greg Bennet UK70. Last Christmas, I got myself a handmade solid wood tenor from Cebu. I decided to let go of the U1 because a co-worker wanted it, (spread the love, right?) While I was playing my solid tenor (just right now). My GF asks me to teach her "In my life", (she always forgets it!!!!) I hand her the UK70, she looks for the U1.. The rest is history. :(

Thanks, just needed to vent..

A Mahalo, surely replaced pretty easily? Perhaps with a Makala Dolphin?

I returned the Ortega I recently purchased and my 7 year old Daughter cried (She was so proud of the fact she could play a C, C2 and A chords) it will of course be promptly replaced with a red Dolphin and something a little more grown up for papa :)

You should be happy of the fact your GF got mad. I also play Bass and wife is happy when I sell and tends to get mad when a new one turns up :)

doesnt she not have a uke of her own? if she doesnt I can understnad why she would be hurt if you gave it to a co-worker instead of her especialy if she is wnating to learn how to play and you have been teaching her stuff on that one.

Yep, time to let her pick out a uke for herself, quick!

Simple solution: Buy your girlfriend something like the Luna Tattoo, or something similar. That way she will have her very own uk, and a better one than the Mahalo to boot.

Easy peasy.

Being from the UK, the topic title reads "Sold my Mahalo and now my girlfriend is drunk." LOL :D

Aloha guitarman,

No comment on on your GF being upset with you .... but, I would like to know about your solid wood tenor from Cebu. Philippine made uke? Could you post some pics and how about a video clip of the actual uke being played? Just wondering about Philippine made ukes - the build quality and sound. I've seen an eBay Seller who primarily sells Classical and Acoustic Steel Stringed guitars who sells ukes from time to time. They look really nice, but I don't know about the workmanship and the sound.

It would be nice to have a review from someone who owns a Philippine made uke. I've heard that there was one brand of Philippine made guitars that were really good ... but infighting between family members and someone making inferior instruments, but using the "Name" of this particular guitar caused them to shut down for many years. I know that I've seen a Thread here on the UU Guitar Forum somewhere awhile back about this very subject.

Anyways, it would be nice if you could do a review of your particular uke and include pics and a video sample. I would possibly be interested in buying one, depending on your review.

Mahalo nui loa

yea, just don't make a comment about her weight, or you'll need to get "pissed"

And if she ever, ever asks if the dress she's wearing makes her butt look fat don't ever, under any circumstances, say, "it's not the dress."

Even if you are muttering under your breath from five rooms away she will hear every syllable and you will never, ever be allowed to forget how good her hearing is. :biglaugh:

John

Aloha guitarman,

No comment on on your GF being upset with you .... but, I would like to know about your solid wood tenor from Cebu. Philippine made uke? Could you post some pics and how about a video clip of the actual uke being played? Just wondering about Philippine made ukes - the build quality and sound. I've seen an eBay Seller who primarily sells Classical and Acoustic Steel Stringed guitars who sells ukes from time to time. They look really nice, but I don't know about the workmanship and the sound.

It would be nice to have a review from someone who owns a Philippine made uke. I've heard that there was one brand of Philippine made guitars that were really good ... but infighting between family members and someone making inferior instruments, but using the "Name" of this particular guitar caused them to shut down for many years. I know that I've seen a Thread here on the UU Guitar Forum somewhere awhile back about this very subject.

Anyways, it would be nice if you could do a review of your particular uke and include pics and a video sample. I would possibly be interested in buying one, depending on your review.

Mahalo nui loa

Hey slackkey, regarding my Cebu tenor, I posted pics last month. you can find them here. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?58151-New-uke-(xmas-amp-new-years)-day!! For the video sample, I'm not sure I'll be able to do one because I don't have the time, a decent condenser mic and rec equiptment. I can assure you the uke sounds great, after replacing the strings with some GHS blacks, the uke became louder and more resonant. For the build quality, the Uke looks great, The hand rubbed lacquer finish is good. The inlays are done well. Although, it's not perfect. The build quality inside could be better, you can see some excess glue etc, it's not as clean as factory made ukes or some top brands. Now, I'm no wood expert, but I did check the grain in the soundhole and the back and sides, and they are consistent with the outside grain. The luthier told me the wood used is phil koa. It's a little hard to believe though because koa only grows in hawaii, so it's either he accquired some koa seeds and planted it in the Philippines, or he used Narra. I'm also not sure how it will hold up when brought to a different country.. amidst all the cons, I am very pleased with the uke I got. All I can say is, with the money I paid, I got 3 times my moneys worth.

Hey guitarman,

Mahalo for your response to my inquiry about your uke. The uke you have looks very similar to the body style the eBay Seller's ukes have ... possibly the ukes are built by the same company.

I was able to get in touch with a buyer from the eBay Seller and the buyer said from the outside, the uke looked great! But when looking on the inside through the sound hole, the workmanship is pretty sloppy. On closer inspection, lots of excess dried up glue, and a lot of blemishes on the outside that looked as if they applied lots of extra glossy lacquer to try to hide the blemishes.

After having his uke a few days, cracks and separations started appearing and the bridge started lifting. The buyer sent the uke back to the eBay Seller and is in the process of trying to get a refund.

Don't know if the shipping process caused the cracks and separations and the bridge to start lifting up from the sound board or not. I don't think it's humidity problems because the buyer lives near the coast/ocean in Southern California. Hopefully, it's just an isolated incident with this particular uke.

Thanks again for your response. Do you have an I-Phone, Smart phone, or digital camera? I've seen many video clips using those methods to record someone playing their uke and for the most part, most of them are do a decent job.

Sold my Mahalo and now my girlfriend is drunk.
Don't know what to do, I'm in a deep blue funk.
:p

What were you thinking?!!? Give your girlfriend a gift certificate to a music store and tell her you want her to have her very own uke.

doesnt she not have a uke of her own? if she doesnt I can understnad why she would be hurt if you gave it to a co-worker instead of her especialy if she is wnating to learn how to play and you have been teaching her stuff on that one.

What were you thinking?!!? Give your girlfriend a gift certificate to a music store and tell her you want her to have her very own uke.

I agree that this has less to do with what actually does, or is perceived to, upset women and more to do with your failure to see that your girlfriend has been trying to use your love of ukulele as a way of connecting with you. (This might also explain the repeated requests from her to teach her a song. She's probably retained what you've taught her but vbalues the time you spend teaching her.) You should definitely apologize to her for selling the ukulele she had been borrowing, let her know how much you like that she's taken an interest in ukulele playing and offer to buy her the ukulele of her choice, but be prepared for her to continue to favor one of yours.

Last edited:
I agree that this has less to do with what actually does, or is perceived to, upset women and more to do with your failure to see that your girlfriend has been trying to use your love of ukulele as a way of connecting with you. (This might also explain the repeated requests from her to teach her a song. She's probably retained what you've taught her but vbalues the time you spend teaching her.) You should definitely apologize to her for selling the ukulele she had been borrowing, let her know how much you like that she's taken an interest in ukulele playing and offer to buy her the ukulele of her choice, but be prepared for her to continue to favor one of yours.

Thank you for all the insightful and funny answers. To be honest though, my GF supports this wonderful passion of mine but does not have any intention of furthering her learnings with the uke. She even told me this herself. She told me last night that she didn't want the U1 to end up with this particular "co-worker" in fear of it being mistreated. I feel like she wants to "share ownership", and that if I would want to sell/give away a uke to someone I would have to get her approval. Now, I'm a pretty generous guy and I offered my U1 and/or a new uke to her but she has no interest. She can borrow my clothes and use my toothbrush. But my ukes are mine all mine!!! :rulez:

If your GF like plastic, get her a Makala. If she liked the sound of wood, stay with the Mahalo. They are $21.99 from Musician'sFriend or Music 123-----free shipping!!!
I drill .040 holes between where the strings go over the bridge and where they tie at the back edge. The strings are run down through the holes and forward to the sound hole. Tie them with a knot and pull them back into place. don't string forward until all strings are knotted. The Mahalo does have a plate under the bridge, so it is a secure attachment. My Bloodworks by Shawn Hines came strung that way. Lehua is now doing through the body. On the top side of the front bout ,slightly slanted back toward the waist, carefully make a one inch heart and CAREFULLY cut it out with an exacto knife. When you drill the initial hole, make several small, high speed holes that will let you begin to get the feel of removing the wood before you get to an edge. Then take a red permanent fine line felt tipped pen to the uncoloured edge make the heart stand out . I did one with three little heart \ in a slant. it is an in the face and in the ear reminder "I Love You." Yes, the sideport improves the sound from the top and also from the front. The Orange and Black one sports a Beaver 1 1/4 inches long and 5/8 high. Oregon State University colours and mascot.
I replaced the yellow and green strap with an orange one. I prefer Aquila strings.

Last edited:
If your GF like plastic, get her a Makala. If she liked the sound of wood, stay with the Mahalo. They are $21.99 from Musician'sFriend or Music 123-----free shipping!!!
I drill .040 holes between where the strings go over the bridge and where they tie at the back edge. The strings are run down through the holes and forward to the sound hole. Tie them with a knot and pull them back into place. don't string forward until all strings are knotted. The Mahalo does have a plate under the bridge, so it is a secure attachment. My Bloodworks by Shawn Hines came strung that way. Lehua is now doing through the body. On the top side of the front bout ,slightly slanted back toward the waist, carefully make a one inch heart and CAREFULLY cut it out with an exacto knife. When you drill the initial hole, make several small, high speed holes that will let you begin to get the feel of removing the wood before you get to an edge. Then take a red permanent fine line felt tipped pen to the uncoloured edge make the heart stand out . I did one with three little heart \ in a slant. it is an in the face and in the ear reminder "I Love You." Yes, the sideport improves the sound from the top and also from the front. The Orange and Black one sports a Beaver 1 1/4 inches long and 5/8 high. Oregon State University colours and mascot.
I replaced the yellow and green strap with an orange one. I prefer Aquila strings.

We need photos!!!!!

Top Bottom