Monitized youtube videos

garyg

Reaction score
I've just started to put a few uke songs up on youtube and got one of those "monitize your video" invitations (guess they go to everyone these days <g>). There has been some discussion of monitizing youtube videos but I'm curious if anyone here has actually made any money doing it and whether it's worth the hassle of having your viewers delete the ads to see the full screen video? If you'd like to talk about this privately just contact me via email at grossman at negia dot net. Any information will be appreciated. cheers, g2

Well the way that I read the guidelines you can do any non-copyrighted song and I'm singing old traditional ballads which are not copyrighted. Do you know otherwise? cheers, g2

YouTube's guidelines specifically prohibit cover songs.

But if you do originals then you're good to go.

I've been on YouTube long enough to remember the Partner Program and what a big deal it was for some Tubers to try to become Partners. Unless your vids get thousands of views you really won't make significant money. I've never wanted the hassle and besides my vids all have music- sometimes I do covers and sometimes I use music from others (always giving credit). And I believe there's absolutely nothing wrong with using someone's music to complement a YT vid (as long as you give credit to the musicians and make no money from it). Maybe they want to monetize everyone so they have more leverage to pull channels. Who knows?
Anyway- here's the info on Public Domain: Music and lyrics published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public Domain in the United States.

Heh, yeah, they make that offer to pretty much everyone, I think. I created a new channel the other day to upload covers to so they won't be mixed with my original stuff. After I uploaded the first video to the new channel they offered to "monetize" me.

I don't expect any of my videos will ever draw the kind of views that would make me any money, and when you let them monetize you they start putting adds in front of your videos. Nothing wrong with that, but I just don't see any reason to annoy folks when I'm never going to get anything from it anyway.

John

Thanks Myrna and OP, that's exactly the type of information that I was looking for. I hate those ads, but not enough to rule them out immediately if they could put some change in the kids college fund <g>. Sounds like you have to be viral to make any money though. C'est la vie. cheers, g2

Thanks Myrna and OP, that's exactly the type of information that I was looking for. I hate those ads, but not enough to rule them out immediately if they could put some change in the kids college fund <g>. Sounds like you have to be viral to make any money though. C'est la vie. cheers, g2

Yeah, you do have be viral, I think, to make some swag. I too got the exciting invite to monetize, but I rationalized the decision to hold off by thinking, "I don't want random advertisers peddaling God-knows-what on my songs!" The truth is my vids get sporadic hits, while my 3 yr old likes watching vids of kids fallin' outta bounce houses, that get hundreds of thousands of hits! Hey... a vid of me playing uke while fallin' out of a bounce house! Monetize me! (Warning: I thought of it first!)

Yep, unless you nail that vid that gets a million hits, don't expect to be retiring to the Bahamas any time soon!

Also, you can't monetize anything remotely copyright or you will get the video pulled.

I decided to try it with a couple of my originals. There is a thing called "RPM", which I think amounts to the payment rate per 1000 views. When I checked it a couple days ago, it was $0.24 per 1000 views, which means a millions views = $240. I checked it again just now, and it was $0.61. I'm not sure why it's different, I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

Top Bottom