Which finger to use

OlManRivah

Reaction score
Coming from a guitar background, I know the importance of learning to use the correct finger on each string.

Being new to the Uke, I'd like to learn the correct method. I've notice most chord charts for the Ukulele don't show the proper finger to use.

Any ideas where this can be found on the Net?

I think if my experience is similar to anyone else's:

I began playing Uke a month ago. But since I have a guitar background, getting a bunch of chords under my fingers wasn't a big deal.

So I'm now at a point where I'm "ditching" the rules and just playing things that sound good. that may or may not have an established chord shape.

I might choose a certain fingering simply because it's an easier way to get to the next chord.

I'm all for learning good technique. Just try to avoid becoming dogmatic in your approach to the fret board.

Generally, as with most fretted instruments it's beneficial to get into the habit of using one finger per fret when possible (sometimes it simply isn't when barre's are involved and such).

That said, a soprano scale is so short some people use two frets per finger as many mando players do.

Myself, I try to take a more holistic approach and look at the song I'll be playing. For example, I usually finger the open C chord using my third finger - but, if I know the next chord is an open G and the song is fast I may use the second finger so I can simply slide it back a fret for the G. Likewise, if I'm coming out of a barre chord, maybe an Em, to the C then I will usually use the second finger. This works especially well in an Em-C-G progression, regardless of whether I play the G barred or open.

John

When I learned the guitar, I never used my small finger unless I had to. This hurt me as I progressed to more complicated chords. I just didn't want to get caught in that trap again.

For me personally I put my fingers on the chord in the manner that makes it as easy as it can be to change to the next shape. For instance when I hold a C I always have my middle finger on the second fret behind it, because quite often there will be a G or an Em followed up and if so then I already have one finger placed and can easily just pop my other two onto the appropriate strings.

I agree with all the info so far. Another problem I encountered coming from guitar is that the - one finger per fret rule - often doesn't work because a soprana scale is so short, I can't cram all my fingers into the available space, so I form partial barres. i also use the little finger of both hands- why waste a finger??

By the way. . . . .I found what I was looking for. "The Daily Ukulele" is a book that suggests which fingers to use on what strings.

I used the "Accepted Standard" chord fingerings to learn, but as others have mentioned, depending on "where I've been and where I'm going" I change a few when they become an apparent good option.

Picking I try to use Middle (1), Fore (2), Thrumb (3) and Thumb (4) all the time (It just "felt" best method for me to learn). My brain/muscle coordination finally "caught-on" to that.

Last edited:
As has been said before there is no right or wrong way to finger a chord, so long as it works and you can get to the next one easily. (I'm pretty sure that I do a lot of things the hard way based on bad habits picked up playing guitar for so long.) My wife uses all kinds of different finger placements for chords that I can't fathom, but they work for her.
The chord chart things will help initially, but I wouldn't doubt that you'll find your own way pretty shortly thereafter.

I would also suggest that you also look up the second positions for your most common chords. (Since you're already familiar with that kind of stuff from guitar, it should be a snap.) It's a great way to add some variety to what you play and fills things out when you play with other folks. Occasionally those are also even more convenient options for fast chord switching.

Top Bottom