A unique commission - the Route 66 sign ukulele

tinguitar

Reaction score
I've just completed this very special electric ukulele for Mary Agnes Krell.

The story behind it: Mary Agnes grew up about half a mile from Route 66, so she wanted this ukulele to be styled on the classic US Highways sign. I was able to download a scale drawing of the sign and I went on to create this body shape.

It is a concert scale, but the body is the same width as a standard soprano, resulting in a 22-fret neck (!) The body and neck are Brazilian cedar, with cocobolo drop-top, fretboard and peghead veneer. The bridge is ebony and is fitted with an Artec passive pickup.

Thank-you Mary Agnes for this unique commission!

ukes1%20057a.jpg

ukes1%20054a.jpg

ukes1%20059a.jpg

ukes1%20066a.jpg

Beautiful wood. Looks really cool. I was on the opposite end from Scott, I was hoping for just the distinctive shape. Very cool though.

Wow!! I've lived right off of the hiway of dreams all my life, and this is beautiful. Congrats to Mary Agnes.

(Hey, maryagn3s, I'm at the east end of 66. Where are you? I wanna see it.)

Wow...that's beeoootiful. Mary Agnes, I hope you have a Corvette convertible to carry it around in!

interesting , it looks like that shape works well for an instruent.

I was hoping for just the distinctive shape.

How is it "distinctive" when all U.S. federal highways still share that same badge shape?

Still, would have been a crime to paint over that wood. And, even though there's no soundhole to get in the way on the top, using wood inlay and purfling to make the design might have made it appear too busy behind the bridge and fingerboard extension.

Top Bottom