Can fluorocarbon fishing line be used for Uke Strings

Back in the '80s, the only ukulele strings you could get in the northeast U.S. were all made by companies who were buying fishing line material from Dupont. I knew a collector who would buy rolls of the fishing lines and cut them into uke string lengths, and save himself some money that way. So there's probably no reason you can't do that. The fishing line may not have as consistent a thickness as a brand name string.

In short, yes. Many have reported success. Try a search using the term "Seaguar."

Yes. I even read an article recently (apologies, I can't remember where) that had the brands and test line specs. So, you can find them and supposedly they'll sound just as good.

Why would you want 100 feet? Worth and Martin strings are tested, true, readily available, and not expensive at all. If you change strings every day, it may be a good idea. And, if you do that, your instruments will always have fresh, new, and out of tune strings!!

Yes. Use the search function on this board and you'll find many threads addressing the subject. I use Seaquar leader line for low G on some instruments.

If you search this forum you should find several threads. Worth CM strings match up perfectly (down to the 1/1000th of an inch) with available Seaguar fluorocarbon leaders so I'll let you draw your own conclusion from that.

I use Seaguar leaders on most of my ukes. I didn't do it so much to save money (you do, but only if your time isn't worth much) as to make an "adjustment." I didn't like the E string Worth uses in their sets, by rolling my own I was able to get better balance and intonation.

I posted my results in this forum some time back (maybe about a year ago) so if you search you should find that.

John

If I wanted to start a string company, I would buy a large quantity of fluoro-carbon fishing line, cut it into short pieces and put it into little packets labelled soprano, concert, tenor and maybe even baritone. Lots of other people have already thought of the same idea though.

:confused:My question is... Can you use ukulele strings for fishing....erh I'll get my coat!:confused:

:confused:My question is... Can you use ukulele strings for fishing....erh I'll get my coat!:confused:

I guess you'd have to tie a bunch of them together to make a single line long enough to be used but yes, one could probably do that...Maybe on a bamboo cane pole fishing for bluegill...Hee! Hee! Hee!

Ted i loved that retort, pure classic m8 lmao

Sometime last year, OldePhart kindly sent me a set to try on my soprano KoAloha pineapple. They sound great, like Worth CMs.

(Thanks, again, John.)

:D

I believe all the Tahitian ukes are strung that way.

Top Bottom