Does a strap (or half-strap) help learning?

Ground Loop

Reaction score
I've been trying to hold the (Concert) Uke by pressing it against my gut with my forearm, but it takes quite a bit of pressure to keep the neck from falling down.

I'm having a hard time holding the pressure while strumming, so I catch myself cradling the neck to hold it up. I understand this isn't ideal, and limits how quickly I can fumble my fingers onto the fretboard.

Does anyone finding that a strap on the head (either half-strap or full strap) helps beginners focus on the fingering rather than supporting?

I don't know if it would be an annoying impediment or a relief to have it supported by itself. A full strap would take velcro or something, since there is no peg on my uke. A removable non-marring solution would be ideal. Not quite ready for adhesives or drilling.

Its much easier to properly finger chords and notes when you don't have to worry about holding up the instrument. I don't own any collector ukes, but drilled my favorite tenor for both a strap and a pickup and found it to be no big deal. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, luthiers don't charge much for putting on strap pins. I don't think they are quite as good at holding the instrument, but there are also the uke thongs and uke leashes that a lot of people like.

I've been trying to hold the (Concert) Uke by pressing it against my gut with my forearm, but it takes quite a bit of pressure to keep the neck from falling down.

I'm having a hard time holding the pressure while strumming, so I catch myself cradling the neck to hold it up. I understand this isn't ideal, and limits how quickly I can fumble my fingers onto the fretboard.

Does anyone finding that a strap on the head (either half-strap or full strap) helps beginners focus on the fingering rather than supporting?

I don't know if it would be an annoying impediment or a relief to have it supported by itself. A full strap would take velcro or something, since there is no peg on my uke. A removable non-marring solution would be ideal. Not quite ready for adhesives or drilling.

I've been playing stringed instruments for years and use straps on everything. I like not having to use my arms to support the instrument. My right hand is free to move however it needs to in order to accomplish any experimental strumming. It also allows me to shake out my arms to relieve any tension.

I always play while seated, so I use a guitar footstool and prop the uke in my lap almost like a classical guitarist would.

If you watch some of the pros play while sitting down, they don't really use their forearm to grip the body of the uke. That's what I also thought at first. Now it seems to me that the lower bout is supported by the leg and the neck is supported by the fretting hand. I agree it's tough for a beginner to learn to switch chords while also trying to support the neck, but with practice it can obviously be done.

I don't know if it would be an annoying impediment or a relief to have it supported by itself.

When I got my first ukulele I had the problem you describe, and the Uke Leash (ukeleash.com) was definitely a huge relief for me--instead of worrying about supporting the headstock, I could concentrate on changing chords. It works without a strap button, but if you ever decide to get a button installed, there is an inexpensive adapter that converts your Uke Leash to a full strap.

Lori, who designed and sells the Uke Leash, is an active member of this forum and great to do business with.

yup strap all the way for me too as its one less thing that i have to worry about when trying to finger chords :)
daz

Drew has convinced me 1: to get a strap asap on my tenor when it arrives and 2: to see if I can put that beautiful song on my MP3 to play over and over. It's gorgeous.

I have straps on all my ukes. I've tried to play without one, but I just can't make the chords as fast if I have to worry about holding onto the neck!

I mostly have mandolin straps, but I have a Uke Leash full banjo strap on my banjolele; and I bought a Uke Leash and strap button adapter for my red (Amanda Palmer) Hilo. :) There is no WAY I can hold a ukulele and play the way Amanda Palmer does! How does she manage to play when sometimes she doesn't even have it against her body?! Amazing!

Mousie

I install strap buttons on all my ukes, even though I'm beyond what I'd call a beginner. It just makes me a better player, and hey, I'll take all the help I can get :)

The strap I like best is this mandolin strap. I've tried the neck straps that attach to the soundhole as well, but I don't think they really do much (and they put stress on the soundhole).

I install strap buttons on all my ukes, even though I'm beyond what I'd call a beginner. It just makes me a better player, and hey, I'll take all the help I can get :)

The strap I like best is this mandolin strap. I've tried the neck straps that attach to the soundhole as well, but I don't think they really do much (and they put stress on the soundhole).

That's the same mandolin strap I use, except for the ones on Flukes, Fleas, and Makala Dolphins with plastic bodies. I use a Planet Waves mandolin strap and Velcro on those. And then the two Uke Leashes I mentioned in my previous post. :)

Mousie

I have strap buttons installed on my ukes. Seated or standing, I play with a strap. I do the same with guitars.

Ditto to this. It's pretty easy to switch the strap between ukes also. I have a nice leather mandolin strap made in Canada.

I have a mandolin strap on my Concert. It fits right over the amp plug in. I will put a strap on my tenor as soon as it comes. I'm so spoiled, I use the strap even when I am seated. I'd get a real tired arm without it...

Good stuff. I ordered a Uke Leash today.. will see how it works out.

For the Mandolin straps, do they use a lower button/stud as well?
Edit: Oh, nevermind.. The picture is pretty clear. It's just a slotted strap.

Good stuff. I ordered a Uke Leash today.. will see how it works out.

For the Mandolin straps, do they use a lower button/stud as well?
Edit: Oh, nevermind.. The picture is pretty clear. It's just a slotted strap.

The mando straps need a strap button at the bottom of the uke, but have a little "shoelace" tie that loops around the headstock on the other end, if that makes sense - take a look here:

attachment.php

I have a mandolin strap on my Concert. It fits right over the amp plug in. I will put a strap on my tenor as soon as it comes. I'm so spoiled, I use the strap even when I am seated. I'd get a real tired arm without it...

Oops forgot to tell you about that you won't need to add a strap button, I also use a mandolin strap on my ukes.
I have a uke leash and a couple different sound hole straps that I no longer use. I have a baily mandolin strap ,pretty pricy but I like it a lot.

Uke Leash. I got a neck adapter for each of my ukes and a simple buckle/click allows me to put any uke on in a second. Definitely consider a Leash: you can stop worrying about "holding" and concentrate on playing.

I have one of those leather mandolin straps on my Concert as well. I play much better with a strap.

Top Bottom