Ukulele mute?

ukesocool

Reaction score
Is it possible to mute an uke while playing? I'm not talking about the strumming. I need something to reduce the volume in sound as I play, like a solid body ukulele so I can play during nights so nobody will wake up. If anyone can make one please explain. Thanks!

Ps. I'm using a koa pili koko with worth clears

Get a piece of foam rubber wide enough to go from side to side of the bridge so there is about 1/4 " on the two outside edges. How far forward toward the sound hole determines the amount of muting you get. The foam really only needs to be tall enough to have the strings press into it slightly. No foam rubber? cut a strip of cloth to weave over and under a couple of times between the bridge and the sound hole. No Fabric? Use a square of toilet tissue folded a coule of times. No t/p? No comment.

Sounds stupid, but what if you stuff a sock in the sound hole.

Sounds stupid, but what if you stuff a sock in the sound hole.

Not as stupid as it sounds. I stuff a small, thin fabric t-shirt in my Mainland for live work to totally eliminate feedback (a trick I learned from a live Jake S vid, back when he used to rock out with a full band - at least that's what it looked like). It's almost exactly the same volume as my electric CBU, which has no sound hole.

I would go with a foam strip as above, south African township musicians nailed this technique to give their trademark staccato sound on guitar. I've done it on uke and guitar and it works. I feed thin piece of foam over and under strings and push it down to bridge saddle. You still get a glimpse of tone but zero sustain. Kind of rubbish for strumming but really interesting Soweto type sound when fingerpicked.

I'd buy everyone ear plugs.
Play Ukulele !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I go out to the garage to play during the night when I wake and can't sleep.

Get an Oscar Schmidt uke. They come muted from the factory, according to some folk.

I keed, I keed! :)

Top Bottom