Jake Shimabukuro Concert/Workshop in Northern Illinois...Just brainstorming

Which Jake event would you most likely attend?

• Just the Concert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just the Workshop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Concert & Workshop

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Maybe one of them, if I'm available.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Neither, too far away, or just wouldn't go to either.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PedalFreak

Reaction score
My store is trying to get Jake Shimabukuro for a Concert, and possibly a workshop prior to it. Still working on details, and who knows it may not even happen.

But we are trying to see about the interest. The workshop would probably be a limited number in our store, maybe 30 people tops. Then a concert later in the evening.

We are in Rockford, IL, about an hour and a half North/Northwest from Chicago.

Would any around here come to it, and also, what would you expect to pay for A. the concert, and B. the workshop. It's quite expensive to have Jake for a concert & workshop, so we want to find out how much interest there would be in this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We got the "official" pricing to have Jake for a concert/Workshop. We are talking to some people to sponsor it, he is quite expensive for a show. Right now, to make it worth it we are looking at about $25-30 per ticket for the show, need to sell 1000 tickets. And we'd need to sell workshop tickets at $40 each, because of the small number that could attend.

Any less than that and we would be losing money. Workshop would be 20-30 people, small group with Jake, would be an intermediate to advanced workshop.

I have family in Rockford and would definitely be interested. Where would you hold this? Just wondering if Rockford would support this effort. Good luck to ya.

PS -What store do you have? Get down there a dozen or so times a year and will definitely stop in.

Dan (sole member of the Wisconsin Rapids Ukulele Group - WRUG)

Do you have a date yet. The more advanced you can get the date out the better the chance is I could plan a trip.

I have family in Rockford and would definitely be interested. Where would you hold this? Just wondering if Rockford would support this effort. Good luck to ya.

PS -What store do you have? Get down there a dozen or so times a year and will definitely stop in.

Dan (sole member of the Wisconsin Rapids Ukulele Group - WRUG)

Randees Music Center, www.randeesmusic.com Stop in next time you're in town :) We're working with a couple other uke companies right now that we may start carrying :D

Do you have a date yet. The more advanced you can get the date out the better the chance is I could plan a trip.

Right now it depends on a couple other dates that he is working on, possibly August/September

Pedal FReak: wonderful idea. I saw Jake in Bloomington and he was great. He's, as you see, doing two concerts on one night at the Chicago Folk Music School in March, I think, and they're both sold out.

Have you checked into your local auditorium to see if they'd want to host his concert. They likely have a thousand+ seats, and you'd be able to just host the pre-concert instructional seminar.

The tickets to Jake in Bloomington in 2011 were, as I recall,, $30 for 1.5 bour show, just as a guage. He had, I'm guessing, about 1000 people or so, and that's a big quess b/c I'm poor with that stuff. I'd be willing to pay up to $35 for a show, and another $35 for a 60 minute group instruction, certainly. I strongly suggest a weekend date, though... I think a weekday (even a Friday) would be very prohibitive on working stiffs like me that live in central IL, or even Chicagoland or southern WI.

G'luck and g'effort, PF.

Last edited:
Pedal FReak: wonderful idea. I saw Jake in Bloomington and he was great. He's, as you see, doing two concerts on one night at the Chicago Folk Music School in March, I think, and they're both sold out.

Have you checked into your local auditorium to see if they'd want to host his concert. They likely have a thousand+ seats, and you'd be able to just host the pre-concert instructional seminar.

The tickets to Jake in Bloomington in 2011 were, as I recall,, $30 for 1.5 bour show, just as a guage. He had, I'm guessing, about 1000 people or so, and that's a big quess b/c I'm poor with that stuff. I'd be willing to pay up to $35 for a show, and another $35 for a 60 minute group instruction, certainly. I strongly suggest a weekend date, though... I think a weekday (even a Friday) would be very prohibitive on working stiffs like me that live in central IL, or even Chicagoland or southern WI.

G'luck and g'effort, PF.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Now I'm really interested. I contacted the box office for the Chicago March 10th concert and they're sold out for 7pm but with a couple tickets left for 10pm. 10pm is too late for me for a 2 hour long concert. I'm really disappointed by this, so i'm hoping you can book Jake...:iwant: I would be willing to pay $25 for the concert and $40 for the workshop.

I'm in. I would attend the workshop but my concern is that I am not good enough for it. I have been playing for only a year. Yuo can count me in for the concert for shure and my wife and daughter. Three tickets sold! :)

johntz: I've been playing for less than you, but I know Jake has a way about him--heck, he teaches senior citizens and little children. Then again, he's Aldrine's teacher. LOL.

I'm sure we can keep up with him. Just sit next to me, johntz, and we'll trade licks and drown one another out and Jake'll never know. lol

Top Bottom