Eleuke Strings... any favorites?

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey all.. My eleuke is in dire need of a string change so I thought before I just plunk another set of aqulia's on it I'd ask:
Does anyone have any favorites besides aquilas? What do you like or dislike about different strings on the eleuke?
I don't think it matters but I have a K series tenor..
Thanks for any input...

I was thinking about this the other day. Being a fully electric instrument, does string choice make much of a difference compared to an acoustic instrument where the difference can be like night and day?

My Eleuke is getting strung with Worth Medium Clears next, simply because that's what I have lying around...

I was thinking about this the other day. Being a fully electric instrument, does string choice make much of a difference compared to an acoustic instrument where the difference can be like night and day?

My Eleuke is getting strung with Worth Medium Clears next, simply because that's what I have lying around...

Let me know how you like the worth's. I would think it would make a difference because my sons electric guitars sound different with different strings... I am surprised more people haven't responded or maybe they just keep the aquilas on their eleukes..

I have a Peanut, and put Martins on it. It's louder and brighter, I like it. I mostly play it with earbuds, occasionally with a super small Smokey amp. In other words, it's not hooked up to anything good.

I know it's out of the ordinary, but I have steel strings on mine, and I love them. They're better for effects.

My TOP choice on Eleuke are D'addario Pro-Artes.
They take out the brittle, treblyness out and give it a full, rounded, expressive sound.

Aquilas on Eleukes? Yuck!

I know it's out of the ordinary, but I have steel strings on mine, and I love them. They're better for effects.

You may be damaging your uke in the long run, as it's not intended to take steel strings.

There are electric ukes that are designed for steel strings out there (such as Risa), and they're absolutely lovely.

They take out the brittle, treblyness out and give it a full, rounded, expressive sound.

Do you know of any equivalent strings for soprano that would sound good on eleukes? (Peanuts for instance)
It seems D'addario only make the Pro Artes for concert or tenor size ukes.

You can use the Concert strings on a Soprano, no problems

I use Martin Flourocarbons on my Eleuke. I tend to switch most of my ukes to flourocarbons as I change out strings. I don't care for the feel of the Aquilas.

I use Martin Flourocarbons on my Eleuke. I tend to switch most of my ukes to flourocarbons as I change out strings. I don't care for the feel of the Aquilas.

Good call. I haven't tried Martin Fluorocarbons on an Eleuke yet, but they really bring out the mellow warmth on my acoustic sopranos

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread here:
Which version of the Pro-Artes?!

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread here:
Which version of the Pro-Artes?!
Kissing is a long term member here but these days he doesn’t seem to be here very often (so any reply might be delayed). I might be wrong but IIRC the strings that he suggested - a decade ago - are the EJ65C’s, they’re clear Nylon in Concert sizes and they also work on Soprano scales too. The same strings are used on Guitars (but in longer lengths).

Last edited:
Kissing is a long term member here but these days he doesn’t seem to be here very often (so any reply might be delayed). I might be wrong but IIRC the strings that he suggested - a decade ago - are the EJ65C’s, they’re clear Nylon in Concert sizes and they also work on Soprano scales too. The same strings are used on Guitars (but in longer lengths).
Excellent, thanks Graham!

Top Bottom