Strumming Question....Patterns and such

AcousticBuckeye

Reaction score
I've been learning to play Uncle John's Band on the uke recently. I know Grateful Dead songs by heart so I pretty easily could strum the song once I found the chords.

My question is when I play I kind of just strum to the flow of the song as I know it and not to a specific pattern. I'll even accent areas that I know should be accented. But on Youtube I see most players strum specific patterns for song through the entire song. It does give it a very clean sound but to me is relatively boring.

What do most suggest as the route to go. Just strum as feels comfortable and what comes natural or stick with patterns throughout?

Thanks

AB

My first inclination is to suggest that you go with YOUR flow, as the music sounds to you.

That being said, however, if you will be playing for others... as a member of the audience,
I must say that if a performer is out of sync according to the timing of the song, it becomes
difficult to enjoy, especially if I know the song and I'm singing along (in my head or out loud)
with you.

Our song circle tends to stay away from songs like "Ghost Riders in the Sky" primarily because
we can't seem to agree as to whose rendition we should follow. In other words, some want to
hold the last note of the first line another 8 beats, while others want to immediately go on to
the second line, etc.

So, back to your question: If you're playing for yourself and it makes sense to you, play as
you remember it.
If you're playing for an audience, listen to the song again (a recording), play along and make
sure you're playing it as it was recorded - because that's probably how your audience remembers
it.

I hope this helps

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Strum the song the way you wanna play it. Strum patterns for songs are not set in stone (tho some do require a pattern). Too many try to emulate the original artist and the way the song was recorded. That will never happen so make the song your own and if need be, unique to your style of playing. 'Nuff said on the topic.

My question is when I play I kind of just strum to the flow of the song as I know it and not to a specific pattern.

Then you're doing it correctly. The ears the best judge.

JJ

Part of the wonderful evolution of a song is how each musician makes it their own.

I can't tell you how many great arrangements there are of Michael Jackson songs done by jazz groups.

My opinion is if you don't bring something uniquely YOU to the song then something is wrong.

I have the same issue. When I play the way it flows for me I enjoy it playing more than trying to stick to a set pattern. I'm hoping that if I continue playing however feels natural I will get better and be able to pick up patterns. I am worried that I am creating bad habits, and have noticed the few times I've played with others it is difficult. Bad habits tend to be more fun though...wish I had more discipline.

I'm with Scott. You are not the original artist and I find nothing more boring than listening to someone covering a song note for note. As Scott says, an individual's interpretation of a song a) makes it his/her own and b) helps it to evolve naturally and with interest. Provided you get the timing correct, which is vital, I'd say don't worry about sticking faithfully to the original, make it your own.

Top Bottom