WTB Ohta-San Kamaka

Let me tell you a secret...you are not the only one..there was one on flea market music last month..it went in a
blink..a couple friends of mine has them, and lent them to me..love them

I believe I saw on the Kamaka NAMM video that they are going to start making that model again.

Yep. I talked to Casey and he said they were going to start offering them again. They will be the deluxe model so they'll have a hefty price tag on them. :)

I thought they were about $2500 but I could be mistaken.

As far as I know the model is still the same. Concert bell shaped body with a concert neck. There was a really limited run done back in the 70s with a tenor neck I think. I saw that Shawn from Ukulele Friend had some and he was asking over $10k.

I remember just a couple of years ago they were around $1700 new, which then was way too rich for my tastes and seemingly way over what ukes should cost. I definitely feel differently today the more I know about what goes into a quality uke regardless of whether it's a custom from an individual luthier, a small shop, or factory. The majority of instruments in that range are going to be top notch. In hindsight it seems like a bargain, given they did shoot up in price to around $2500 recently (when they were still available.) My guess is they'll be back in the $2500 range once in production again.

wait until Apr this year, Kamaka will start making them again. Soprano deluxe, Ohta-san concert, and pineapple deluxe. That is what I heard from them last week.

I have wanted one of these for years, great uke. Funny thing is I have never seen Ohta-San play one of these, he always plays a Martin soprano.

I agree with the prices of Shawn's ukes...its really way over priced!!!

Three years ago my friend scored on for 450 on ebay... with shipping it came to about 500.00 for a 70's concert Ohta san... Shawn prices are way over priced..hate to say...

I agree with the prices of Shawn's ukes...its really way over priced!!!
when you have something rare or hard to get, a seller can ask a higher price. that's why you see 4-5k price tags on ukes that originally sold for $100 or less.I have dealt with Shawn and he's a good guy. he gave me a great deal.

Last edited:
is the 70's style different from the modern one? I think the old one had a longer scale length

that is right, SHawn will deal and come to very reasonable end prices.
when you have something rare or hard to get, a seller can ask a higher price. that's why you see 4-5k price tags on ukes that originally sold for $100 or less.I have dealt with Shawn and he's a good guy. he gave me a great deal.

The are remaking them starting in april I believe. But I would still be willing to buy a used one if anyone has one

Top Bottom