Compass Rose Tenor Question

Joshypogi

Reaction score
$(KGrHqR,!gwE5k8vM6zsBO)R+oojLg~~60_3.jpg

Just recently aquired a Compass Rose figured maple sunburst tenor in pretty new condtion. This is my first compass rose uke and would like to know what are the numbers stamped on the top of the headplate...has an 06 and 02 stamp. I would like to know if anyone has any info on what this means.

$(KGrHqV,!ksE7!QbvBtPBO)!I-JZ8g~~60_3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Compass Rose and I always assumed it was a serial number.

Damn that's nice.

View attachment 33049

Just recently aquired a Compass Rose figured maple sunburst tenor in pretty new condtion. This is my first compass rose uke and would like to know what are the numbers stamped on the top of the headplate...has an 06 and 02 stamp. I would like to know if anyone has any info on what this means.

View attachment 33048

I'm not certain but I think the first one (06) is the year it was made (2006). Mine was made in 2010 and has 10 stamped on one side. The other may be the number of uke made in that year. This is just my guess.

Aloha All:

I just got a email reply from Rick of renaissance guitars and he said "06" is for 2006 and "02" is the second uke made for that year.

Doc_J was right.

Apparently, 2011 was a busy year. Mine is a 2011 and it is #279. I wonder how any Compass Rose ukes were made in 2011?

Rick?

6799739185_b90b684c2a.jpg

How about yours?

I haven't changed the ones that came with it. They appear to be Aquila Nylgut with wound low G. The sound is very nice and I don't plan to experiment just yet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't own and haven't played a Compass Rose, but at some point I would like the chance for both. I have heard nothing but great things about them from people that own one, especially how they sound. And some of Rick's sycamore tenors that I have seen are just stunning. But I don't care for the numeric date stamps on top of the headstock. They look "assembly line" and detract from the appearance of the uke, IMO. I think that something hand written on the sticker inside the soundhole is classier and lends more of a hand made, not manufactured, touch to an ukulele.

Is this the Koa tenor appeared in Gryphon Strings few weeks ago?

Yes. I was powerless to resist.

I joined the group in spite of what Groucho Marx supposedly said: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." ;)

Last edited:
#11-279. Also via Gryphon Strings. Had been perusing their site and snagged this one before the ink was dry on the web-site posting... before they even had any pictures up. They were great about hurrying up and posting pix whilst placing the uke on hold for me - even played it over the phone for me so I could hear what she sounded like (sort of) :). Once I saw the pix, I couldn't resist and have been very happy with it since

Thanks for the heads-up about the group... I'll mosey over there now.

CRmaple19.jpg

Cheers, Dean

Top Bottom