Is this a joke?

This shows up in the text for the auction:

"Was made in 1996 for Tangi Tully’s Birthday. It was the display mascot for Tangi Ukuleles. It was built just like a regular ukulele and to scale. What is remarkable is that it is playable and tunable. Thickness of wood is to scale."

It's a plausible explanation for why the ukulele was built. The asking price, however, may be a "joke."

Imagine getting a Calton case to fit.
I would not even want to pay the shipping charges.

You'd need an awfully long uke leash to play it while standing

It's not Hawaiian either if it's on of Tangi's and the Vietnamese company made it... but it would probably cost plenty to get another one made.

Hmmm, now there's a real bass uke...

The asking price, however, may be a "joke."

The current asking price is just less than $5000.

Do you think that's too low? It is used, afterall.

Those are supposedly big chunks of real ebony, not black-painted particle board. 75 times the material for less than 75 times the price (realize that scaling up by a factor of 4.22 in all three dimensions is a materials scale factor of 75).

It's a one-of-a-kind, meticulously detailed, functional, handmade, large piece of artwork constructed with custom-machined parts using custom-built forms and jigs. $5k doesn't seem at all out of line to me (but, then again, I certainly don't have that kind of money to throw at art collecting).

Was not expecting that. I would love to have a jam on it.

Top Bottom