Mainland Mahogany Concert AND Soprano? Redundant?

Jason Paul

Reaction score
I have a Mainland mahogany concert and like it. However, I've been wanting a good soprano as well.

I narrowed it down to Mainland and Ohana, but am leaning toward the Mainland, mainly because I already know I like the one I have.

I don't think I want a red cedar soprano, and I'm not sure about mango either. I really think I just want classic mahogany.

So, would it be redundant to get a mahogany soprano if I already have a mahogany concert?

Thanks,
Jason

I vote no and I would advise to get the Mainland Mahogany Tenor on order as soon as fiscally possible.

AB

I just received my Mainland Concert and it's a joy.

If you like the Mainland concert you pretty much already know what to expect quality-wise with the Mainland soprano. Why NOT keep it in the family? I love both of my Kalas and would love to have another Mainland.

Then again, maybe you want to try a different brand... if so take a look at an Islander, too.

Personally, I like to mix-things-up. Besides I find the Mainland soprano a bit too fancy to play "classic" uke stuff... though I'm sure it would play well.

It wouldn't be redundant, if you feel the need to have another uke in a different size. Maybe you should try an Islander. I've heard they're really nice players.

Thanks all.

If I get a soprano, it MUST have friction tuners. I do NOT want another soprano with geared tuners. I have a Kala with geared tuners. I don't remember which model, but I got it from MGM a year or so ago, and it was about $80. It's OK, but has a slight intonation problem.

So, I think I would like a better quality soprano - with friction tuners - and would like to stay in the $200 range. From what I've seen, it seems that Mainland and Ohana are the main options.

Thanks again,
Jason

Top Bottom