G Chord fingering

scason

Reaction score
Hi all,

Enthusiastic newbie here and I have a question. For some reason my fingers don't what to form a G chord in the normal way. Mine want to form it with the index finger on 1st string-2nd fret, ring finger 2nd string-3rd fret and middle finger 3rd string-2nd fret. I know it's not right but I can do it sooo natural and comfortably. Will this cause me problems down the line in my ukulele education? I don' want to start any bad habits. Thanks for any help. This place is great!

I think as you progress you'll notice that certain fingerings make it easier or harder to get to the NEXT chord in the song. And you'll start choosing fingering patterns that favor natural and comfortable chord transitions.

But until you get to that point I would say don't sweat it.

Remember that G can also be played as 4232

bar your pointer finger across the 2nd fret. middle finger on 2nd string 3rd fret. ring finger on 4th string 4th fret

The main issue is usually the ease with which you can change to the other chords required in the song you are playing. Try some songs in G and see what problems you encounter. Its also good to be able to finger chords in different ways as you will get some advantages for certain songs. If it works thats whats important.

Hi all,

Enthusiastic newbie here and I have a question. For some reason my fingers don't what to form a G chord in the normal way. Mine want to form it with the index finger on 1st string-2nd fret, ring finger 2nd string-3rd fret and middle finger 3rd string-2nd fret. I know it's not right but I can do it sooo natural and comfortably. Will this cause me problems down the line in my ukulele education? I don' want to start any bad habits. Thanks for any help. This place is great!

I form my G's like that as it's how I was taught to do it, so for me it's the "normal" way. The other way just seems bizarre and clunky to me.

My advice: go with it. There's no one true way to do it, so long as it works, doesn't impede chord changes for you, and you're happy to do it that way.

The book I have teaches Index on string 3, Middle on string 1 and Ring wraps around to string 2 (C=3, E=2, A=1) It took me a couple of days but I am getting pretty comfortable with it now. I practice it with normal 12 bar blues pattern (G G G G C C G G D C G G) and the changes are starting to get fluid after a couple of days.

Thanks for all the replies. It set my mind at ease. My transitions are much faster with my index finger on the 1st string and much more natural feeling.

Hi all,

From what I can tell, your method actually makes MORE sense!! The index (pointer) and middle fingers are arranged to make the switch to the F or A chords, the pinkie is in the right place to play the sus4 (0233 instead of 0232) and you're better placed for a Gm. I play G with the index finger barred on the 2nd fret (cos I'm lazy) but I'd get round to playing it your way if it helped chord changes on a given song.

I was trying out your fingering position, and I think a lot depends on the angle you position your fingers at. If you tend to cradle the head on your forefinger, then the traditional fingering is more comfortable. Your fingering suits a more vertical hand position.

As long as you're comfortable and fluid with the most common chord changes from the G position, then go for it. (i.e. C, F, Am, D etc.)

Fingering is like hairstyles - you go with what you feel most comfortable with.

For instance, it seems most folks form Em using their middle, ring, and pinkie fingers, because it's easier to move from C and G into it. But when I tried that it was a disaster. I form mine with index, middle, ring, and even though it means I tend to have to jump about the fretboard between G, Em, and C, it is more comfortable for me to do so.

Go with what is most natural to you, and you'll adapt.

I form mine with index, middle, ring,
Yup, me too. It just feels more solid for me with that fingering. I thought I was alone. :)

ETA: We were talking about Em fingering, not G :)

Last edited:
That's the way I do Em as well, LOL! I'm still experimenting though. Have had my uke for less than a week. I'm loving it though.

keep practicing and soon all your fingering will start to come naturally, as you progress you will move away from traditional fingering anyway because you will find your own niche when it comes to smooth chord transitions for different songs

For instance, it seems most folks form Em using their middle, ring, and pinkie fingers, because it's easier to move from C and G into it. I form mine with index, middle, ring, and even though it means I tend to have to jump about the fretboard between G, Em, and C, it is more comfortable for me to do so.

I've been playing Em your way for 35 years now.

I play the basic G chord 3 different ways, depending on the song and what chords I'm coming from or going to.

That's the way I do Em as well, LOL! I'm still experimenting though. Have had my uke for less than a week. I'm loving it though.

Yup, me too. It just feels more solid for me with that fingering. I thought I was alone. :)

ETA: We were talking about Em fingering, not G :)

I've been playing Em your way for 35 years now.

I play the basic G chord 3 different ways, depending on the song and what chords I'm coming from or going to.

Gee, and here I thought I was the only oddball out there. Then again, I'm not sure if I should be pleased or frightened. After all, I tend to have a bit of Groucho in me regarding membership into clubs ...

I play G 3 different ways as well, depending on context:

1. Index finger on 3rd string, ring finger on 2nd string, middle finger on 1st string. I use this the most. Seems the most flexible transitioning in and out of it.
2. Bar the 1~3 strings at 2nd fret and middle finger on 2nd string at 3rd fret. I sometimes play it this way depending on feel, usually when the pinky needs to stretch further than normal or if the ring finger is needed for some other notes.
3. OP's way. I play it this way by far the least, but on some arrangements it's almost required to play it this way.

Gee, and here I thought I was the only oddball out there. Then again, I'm not sure if I should be pleased or frightened. After all, I tend to have a bit of Groucho in me regarding membership into clubs ...

That is classic!

First, there is no "right" and "wrong" - there is "what works for you" and "what doesn't work for you." That said, you will be much happier in the long run, I think, if you don't look at fingering any chord in isolation. Instead, look at what chords typically precede or follow the chord because it is the ability to smoothly transition from one chord to another that distinguishes a newbie from a virtuouso!

Learn, and practice more than one fingering for every chord. When you set out to learn a song, figure out which fingerings are going to work best - in that song or even in just one phrase of that song!

You will find that it is very common to use more than one fingering for a chord even within a given song. If you limit yourself to "a g chord is fingered this way" you will always be limited in what or how fast you can learn new songs.

As mentioned above - don't concentrate on learning chords - concentrate on learning transitions. "What's the best way to move from C to F to G" may be completely different from "what's the best way to move from G to Em to D" - and both are probably equally common!

Remember - a song is made up of transitions - not chords!

John

As mentioned above - don't concentrate on learning chords - concentrate on learning transitions. "What's the best way to move from C to F to G" may be completely different from "what's the best way to move from G to Em to D" - and both are probably equally common!

Remember - a song is made up of transitions - not chords!

Great advice. I appreciate it!

Jim B

Top Bottom