Changing Strings Applause UEA20

ill-attack

Reaction score
Hello!

My girlfriend bought me a Ovation Applause UEA20, and I've been having a great time playing it, and stuff...but at the same time, I want a great sound, and I've been reading different threads saying that Ovation stock strings don't have such a great sound, and that switching them would give my uke a better tone. I also don't know if it being soprano or tenor or what not would affect what kinda strings I buy. Before this uke, I've only played acoustic guitars, mostly classical. The strings feel dryish and for a while they hurt to play, so I don't know if that's normal or not...Can someone tell me a little more about strings and what type of uke I'm playing?

Thank you so much in advanced!

-Love, Ruddy <333

Last edited:
Hello!

My girlfriend bought me a Ovation Applause UEA20, and I've been having a great time playing it, and stuff...but at the same time, I want a great sound, and I've been reading different threads saying that Ovation stock strings don't have such a great sound, and that switching them would give my uke a better tone. I also don't know if it being soprano or tenor or what not would affect what kinda strings I buy. Can someone tell me a little more about strings and what type of uke I'm playing? Thank you so much!

-Ruddy <333

tenor and soprano are two of the 4 different sizes. different strings are made for different sizes. so buy strings for your size (obviously) and in terms of brands, just buy one and try it out, thats the only way to know if youll like it or not. theres alot of brands, koolau, ghs, hilo, ddadario, im sure youll find dozens of threads on strings. btw i looked it up, and your 'ukulele is a soprano.

tenor and soprano are two of the 4 different sizes. different strings are made for different sizes. so buy strings for your size (obviously) and in terms of brands, just buy one and try it out, thats the only way to know if youll like it or not. theres alot of brands, koolau, ghs, hilo, ddadario, im sure youll find dozens of threads on strings. btw i looked it up, and your 'ukulele is a soprano.

Thank you so much for the information, but as far as string feeling, are they suppose to feel dry? :uhoh:

I own two of these. First, it takes about two months of regular playing to break them in. Aquila concert strings are the best sounding of the many brands I've tried on these ukes. Aquila's are lighter tension than other brands I've tried, so the concert's are fine on a soprano uke. Ric

2802955036_8a44d0802f.jpg

2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

I will second ricdoug there, aquila concerts are the way to go. I promise you will be quite blown away at the difference it makes over your stock strings. Probably the best and cheapest single thing that you can do to improve the sound on your uke.

I have a Ovation UA10 (non-electrified version of yours), they'e great little instruments that will hold up to a fair bit of abuse.

I will second ricdoug there, aquila concerts are the way to go. I promise you will be quite blown away at the difference it makes over your stock strings. Probably the best and cheapest single thing that you can do to improve the sound on your uke.

I have a Ovation UA10 (non-electrified version of yours), they'e great little instruments that will hold up to a fair bit of abuse.

Thank you for the suggestion as well, but what else besides string can I do to improve the sound? :confused:

I own two of these. First, it takes about two months of regular playing to break them in. Aquila concert strings are the best sounding of the many brands I've tried on these ukes. Aquila's are lighter tension than other brands I've tried, so the concert's are fine on a soprano uke. Ric

2802955036_8a44d0802f.jpg

2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

great picture ricdoug, and thank you for the suggestion, i will try them out myself.

Just ordered Aquila uke strings from Elderly Instruments online; can't wait to set them in. :-D Anything else I should know about this uke? Flaws or tips?

Most of the string sets are C tuning. You'll have to specify low G, wound G, concert, soprano, tenor, etc.

It's the Concert C set, Cereal Killer. Iown two of the UAE20's. My local uke shop was amazed at the difference of the sound of my black one (over a year in use), my red/black one (3 months in use) and the ones on the racks in his store. They "open up" the more they are played. My black one is much louder and richer in tone than all of them. My red/black one (3 months of playing time) has markedly better sound than the ones on the rack at the stores. Ric

35858Ukulele113.jpg

Top Bottom