PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Maintenance?

WOBster
01-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi UU
My first post (been reading for a while). I have just received my first Ukulele (I own some guitars but I was the only family member without a ukulele and they were having soooo much fun I had to join in!). It is solid wood (koa body) and I was wondering what I need to know about maintaining it. Things like cleaning, fretboard treating, humidification etc.
I would love specific recommendations for products too if possible. I did do a search but did not find exactly what I was looking for...I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.
Thanks!

mr roper
02-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I would say uke maintenance=guitar maintenance except usually no truss rod to adjust.

Kayak Jim
02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
OK, how about for those of us who don't own guitars?

vanflynn
02-01-2012, 03:27 AM
The main difference if you live in a dry area is humidification. The ukes are smaller and thinner so low humidity has a greater effect on them.

efiscella
02-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Hi UU
My first post (been reading for a while). I have just received my first Ukulele (I own some guitars but I was the only family member without a ukulele and they were having soooo much fun I had to join in!). It is solid wood (koa body) and I was wondering what I need to know about maintaining it. Things like cleaning, fretboard treating, humidification etc.
I would love specific recommendations for products too if possible. I did do a search but did not find exactly what I was looking for...I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.
Thanks!
I have been wondering the same thing. There are some things that I do, however, but not sure if there should be others.
1. I wipe the ukulele and fret board with a very soft cotton cloth after playing
2. I always keep the ukes in a high quality case with an oasis humidifier in the sound hole (for my tenors and super tenor I also add a second oasis in the neck area, along with a hygrometer).
3. About once a month I clean each uke with Matin Guitar polish and a soft cloth

That's about it. Anything I am missing?

hoosierhiver
02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. There are some things that I do, however, but not sure if there should be others.
1. I wipe the ukulele and fret board with a very soft cotton cloth after playing
2. I always keep the ukes in a high quality case with an oasis humidifier in the sound hole (for my tenors and super tenor I also add a second oasis in the neck area, along with a hygrometer).
3. About once a month I clean each uke with Matin Guitar polish and a soft cloth

That's about it. Anything I am missing?

That's pretty good, the only thing I might add is maybe loosen the strings if you are not going to be playing it for awhile. Aside from humidity, rapid temp. changes are also bad.

WOBster
02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the information...looks like I need a humidifier, any recommendations? Sound hole vs. case?

vanflynn
02-02-2012, 03:24 AM
I personally like the case version so you aren't screwing around with the strings every time you want to play it. If you live by a garden shop or megahardware store look for water absorbing crystals and make one your self with any small container:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39501-DIY-Case-Humidifier-using-polymer-moisture-crystals&highlight=Water+absorb+crystal

Don't forget a hygrometer to check the RH.