Makala MK-B cheapie review

Gwynedd

Reaction score
I picked up a cheap Makala baritone, having been impressed with the Dolphin (refitted with Aquilas.) While I'm waiting for my tenor from Mainland, I wanted something a bit louder and deeper, besides, I like baritones, having had played them as a kid.

I was IMPRESSED. The finish is a matt lacquer, the wood is thin laminate but the action and frets were perfect. NO buzzes, and easy to finger. The sound is LOUD and DEEP. Impressive. I don't like the strings (that black junk they use plus 2 wound strings for the D and G) but I ordered some South Coast strings and I will update the review in a few days as the strings are on their way here very soon. But I was able to play pleasantly on the stock strings (not true of the Dolphin) because the instrument is so loud on its own.

Since you can pick up one of these for less than a C note, this might be a way to see if you like baritone, get a kid started in "junior guitar" (which is what I did as a kid) or play with your own electrification, because you can hardly hurt this thing. I am amazed at how nice it sounds. No time to do a recording but maybe this weekend I will fit it up with the South Coast strings and see if I can do a sound test and video for y'all.

Where did you purchase your Makala Baritone from? I have the itch to buy a bari and don't want to spend a ton of money in case I don't like the size. This sounds promising. And how was the action? Nice and low?

I have one, too, and I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great deal for the price.

Mine came with good action, but I was able to make it even better with a little tweaking.

Definitely recommended for someone wanting a low end bari.

Top Bottom