What the wind blows in...

cclancy

Reaction score
It's interesting what the desert wind blows in now & then. This little koa beauty turned up on the workshop doorstep this morning. Although the top & back have cracked severely it still sings loudly (albeit only on the 1 string attached!)
Don't know if they're common or not elsewhere in the world, but I reckon this'd be the only one for a few thousand km's out here :D

I'm pretty sure I can get the cracks closed (& glued) after some humidification. After that I was planning on adding some cleats. Not having any koa around, I thought I'd use some Tassie Blackwood. Do I hear any objections?

010220122046 (Small).jpg010220122044.jpg010220122047 (Small).jpg010220122048 (Small).jpg010220122049 (Small).jpg

Great score! You could try the phone number on the label but they resently moved and I think the warrantee is expired

I grew up in this neighborhood ...it is a place where many uke builders lived in the past...so did Bill Tapia... yeah four digit phone numbers..way before my time...he he

It goes back to the owner once repaired (that is, along as he pays up).
HE was given it!

This little thing sounds great even though the string must be ancient, the saddle is wood, the nut is wood, it's got 4 cracks and the brace below the soundhole has popped off.
I've got to start changing the way I build.
No more bone, don't inlet the braces, re-cycle old strings, slap the thing together and forget about attention to detail!
Maybe, then, they'll sound better.;)

It goes back to the owner once repaired (that is, along as he pays up).
HE was given it!

This little thing sounds great even though the string must be ancient, the saddle is wood, the nut is wood, it's got 4 cracks and the brace below the soundhole has popped off.
I've got to start changing the way I build.
No more bone, don't inlet the braces, re-cycle old strings, slap the thing together and forget about attention to detail!
Maybe, then, they'll sound better.;)

The most important step is to stick it in the time machine for about 70 years.

nice find!

Id very much like to hear more about how you'd repair the cracks, Ive got my nice old pineapple I want to fix but I wnat to do it right.

I had to reply since my old nickname is Wind. Any instrument that sounds good with one string in tact is worth saving. Looks like a nice uke. The owner will be proud.

Top Bottom