What ever shall I do????

Phil Townsend

Reaction score
I am a new player. I bought a use Kamaka 50 Gold label uku. It sounds simply wonderful... BUT the tunning pegs are hard to get into tune. They are the originals.

So the question... Should I resize the holes and install some newer tuners that will work mo better? Will this mod make the value less?
OR...leave it as is and simply get over it?

Phil in
The high desert of New Mexico far from his old home in Kauai.

Personally, I would try to find friction tuners that fit in the holes that are already there. You may be able to get them from Kamaka, or maybe some standard, modern ones will fit.

If you install geared tuners on it, I will personally fly to New Mexico and wring your neck.

Jason

Have you tried tightening or loosening the tension screw on the tuners. You shouldn't have to modify a Kamaka unless the poor thing was abused. If the uke is in good shape otherwise, any modification could possible devalue the Kamaka if you are worried about that.

Congrats on the beautiful uke!

If you're new to friction tuners, remember that all a friction tuner needs to change pitch is a pinch (rather than the hardy turn a geared tuner requires). Just a pinch. Keep at it; be patient. You'll get the hang of it in a few weeks.

If a tuner isn't its string in tune, you can adjust it: first loosen its screw (until the string won't hold tune at all). Then slowly re-tighten (about 1/8 of a turn at a time) until the tuner holds pitch. It should still be easily adjustable by hand after it's properly tightened. If a tuner's malfunctioning, call or email Kamaka. They should have (or know where to get) replacements that won't require modification to your valuable uke.

Thanks Guys!!!

OK... thank you for your help.
I just called Kamala on Oahu and will help me out...
That was just to easy!

I will not place geared tuners on it so Jason will not need to fly to NM to tune my neck!

This Ukulele sounds so nice I can hardly stand it. My playing is quite another. But in ten years I might be pretty good.

Thanks Guys

Phil
Santa Fe, NM

Hello Phil,
Welcome. I am happy to hear you were successful with Kamaka. You wrote the following.......
""This Ukulele sounds so nice I can hardly stand it. My playing is quite another. But in ten years I might be pretty good.""
You might not be pretty, you might not be good, but you are going to be pretty good. HaHa!!
1931jim

Top Bottom