6 string ukuleles - Lanikai O-6E

revo11

Reaction score
I was at the store and tried a Lanikai O-6E and really fell in love with it. The string tuning was almost the opposite of a normal ukulele and it gave the standard chord voicings a really fresh sound. The mix of string types also sounded great. I was nice to have a string to anchor bass lines with.

Of course, first impressions can be misguided. My two concerns are:

- If I'm going to buy a 6-string like this, is there a brand/model that's similar but better?

- The tuning is so different, I'm a little worried that it'll ruin my playing on other ukuleles

Any thoughts?

I know a couple of people with Lanikai 8-string ukes who love them to death. I say if you like it, it will serve you well.

The tuning isn't different at all, actually. The notes are all the same, it's just that a couple of them are doubled to give more of a chorus. The C-string will be paired with the same note, just an octave higher - but the same note, so you fret chords exactly the same. The A-string is just a double, but tuned to the same note, same octave - just adds richness to the tone.

Again, tuning isn't different and fret all the chords the same as your other ukes. I personally find 6 and 8 string ukes to be more amenable to strumming than picking, but that's because I'm a total hack with no appreciable skills...

Enjoy!

I believe some 6 string ukes have a "Low A" string, like this one.

I had one cheap Oscar Schmidt 6 string uke and I loved that tuning - I guess soon I'll get a nicer, solid top 6 string.

The Lanikai looks great, but it is quite expensive for a laminate ukulele.

If you are concerned with a 6 string messing-you-up when you play a 4 string, simply swap out the low A string with another hi A (as they normally do on 8 string ukes)
I used to have the Lanikai O-6E, but sold it to get a Lanikai CK6E
The Lanikai CK6E is a laminate, but the top is thinner than the solid O-6E and is louder and warmer sounding...
...unfortunately it is more expensive too. I really like mine.

Top Bottom