Interview with Jessica Latshaw - NYC Subway ukulele star!

bazmaz

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen the video that did the rounds recently of the girl playing the impromptu ukulele track on the NYC Subway.

Well I was delighted that she agreed to be interviewed by Got A Ukulele and by the sound of it, she may be going places.

Interview below. Enjoy!

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/02/interview-jessica-latshaw.html

I haven't seen it! Could you post the original video? I'm curious!

Yep? In the opening paragraph on the interview there is a link to my original blog post where I shared it.

Good performance eh? She's a really nice girl too, really enjoyed doing the interview with her. I personally reckon she's got real talent and it sometimes takes a break like this video going viral to give a career a lift.

heh heh, nice interview Paul, njoyed

Bazmaz, thanks for the interview & thread. Very very nice.

I grew up in NYC, and so this whole video and now the follow up interview hits a warm spot in my heart. ;-)

Great interview, thanks for sharing. Love the fact that she stayed in touch with the guy who plays the congas. I thought they worked well together in the subway, no?
Long success to her!

Olarte and tainauke - yep - really nice interview - really nice person. I threw the question about the guy with the congas in at the end and was delighted that she stayed in touch. When I first watched the vid, I wondered whether the guy who was shouting the MC role on the subway annoyed her, but turns out he was the guy who made it happen and she has gigged with him again.

The subway vid is particularly special - I adore the applause from the travellers, but also that I love it when something goes viral and highlights a clear talent. I honestly expect we may hear more of this person. Sure she isn't a uke player by trade, but watch this space. Would love it if in a years time her name is up there in the charts!

Not only did I enjoy her subway uke vid when I saw it awhile back, but her other videos are worth watching as well. She's got a very nice voice and, if I recall correctly, isnt she also a piano player and dancer...?

Another YouTube success story... I hope.

Nice job on scoring the interview.

Dean

Yeah, she is trained in piano, but explained that it's easier to carry a uke through NYC to gigs than a piano!

She's clearly got natural musical talent.

It's funny how things work out. She was already doing small gigs, open mics in NYC, then happens to get egged on into a song on the subway and BOOM - the video is seen by 1.5 million people. Wowzers!

Actually think this is a uke video of the year contender

Top Bottom