price difference

moondancer

Reaction score
i'm coming over to the states [ san francisco ] in a few weeks. Are uke's cheaper in the US than in the UK...........mack

I am not sure never bought one from the UK, I would also think its a matter of the exchange rate as well. Then how to get it home if not on the plane. I know it is cheaper to ship from here to there. Good luck finding a uke and have fun while you are here.

I think ukes are cheaper in the States. I looked at prices at a store in London called the Duke of Uke and they wanted 280 BPS ($442) for a Kala solid acacia concert. My local music store sells that one for 200 BPS ($310 includes tax). Same percentage price difference for a Fluke Concert.

According to Her Majesty's Customs, as long as your uke doesn't cost more than 390 BPS, there is no tax or duty charge. At today's exchange rate, you could buy a $450-$500 uke plus a good case for the trip home. I brought my uke to the UK on American Airlines in the overhead bin with no problems.

Did I miss where you will be in the US? I have two fellows in the UK who want PEGHEDS. To send them around the US costs about $4.00 for postage and insurance. The same package to the UK is $31.00 ! I cannot imagine it would any different for a larger package. A quick check of eBay shows a big difference for shipping UK to US than from US to US. I have no doubt you will have a wider selection that the UK

.....According to Her Majesty's Customs, as long as your uke doesn't cost more than 390 BPS, there is no tax or duty charge........

Not sure that is quite accurate. According to the HMRC website anything from outside the EU over £15.01 is subject to VAT duty and anything over £135.01 is subject to VAT duty and customs duty, though if the customs duty is calculated to be less than £9 it will be waived.

[url]http://tinyurl.com/7aochax [/URL]Paragraph 2.3

Trust me, the British government don't miss an opportunity to tax!

thanx guys i will check prices out in san francisco then try and blag my way through customs back here in the uk.............mack

You are accurately quoting the regulations for items sent by post. However, moondancer planned to bring the uke back on the plane. In that case, he can bring items to a value of £390 without paying duty.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

Not sure that is quite accurate. According to the HMRC website anything from outside the EU over £15.01 is subject to VAT duty and anything over £135.01 is subject to VAT duty and customs duty, though if the customs duty is calculated to be less than £9 it will be waived.

[url]http://tinyurl.com/7aochax [/URL]Paragraph 2.3

Trust me, the British government don't miss an opportunity to tax!

i'm coming over to the states [ san francisco ] in a few weeks. Are uke's cheaper in the US than in the UK...........mack

Aloha moondancer! If you are coming to SF and want to look at `ukuleles, be sure to check out the Aloha Warehouse (http://www.alohawarehouse.com/). You can email Edgar alohawarehouse@sbc.global before you come and get some idea of what is available and the pricing. Sorry, if this sounds like a commercial, I have nothing to do with the business. However, at Christmas we went by and picked up a Makai soprano and a concert for my nieces who were interested in learning and got a really good deal. In any case, Aloha Warehouse is located in SF's Japantown which is a fun place to walk around and check out.

£390 is over $600USD, so that's a pretty nice uke. Unless you're going for one of the high end K-brands or a custom, you're options are pretty open.

Also, if you are driving, you should check out Ukulele Source in San Jose, about an hour south of San Francisco-- great little shop and lots of choices from inexpensive to top-of-the line.

Aloha moondancer! If you are coming to SF and want to look at `ukuleles, be sure to check out the Aloha Warehouse (http://www.alohawarehouse.com/). You can email Edgar alohawarehouse@sbc.global before you come and get some idea of what is available and the pricing. Sorry, if this sounds like a commercial, I have nothing to do with the business. However, at Christmas we went by and picked up a Makai soprano and a concert for my nieces who were interested in learning and got a really good deal. In any case, Aloha Warehouse is located in SF's Japantown which is a fun place to walk around and check out.

Yes don't pass up that money saving oppertunity..and all the different choice brands you can get..look in the
buying section here under california for stores and locations...wonder ir they can tell a new ukulele from an
used one when you are declaring,,he he

Yes don't pass up that money saving oppertunity..and all the different choice brands you can get..look in the
buying section here under california for stores and locations...wonder ir they can tell a new ukulele from an

what do you mean "declaring"...haha

Interesting question, Stan. How would UK customs know you didn't bring your uke with you when visiting the States?

One way to have more money to buy a more expensive uke would be to bring a case (if you have one) so you wouldn't have to buy one here. The security people might find it a bit odd to x-ray an empty case, but just explaining that you are going to buy a uke in the US should be a credible explanation.

I can vouch for both Aloha Warehouse and Ukulele Source, having been to both. Both sell high end ukuleles like Kamakas, but both also sell lower end ukuleles as well. If you're going to drive from San Francisco to San Jose, you could stop at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. The ukulele selection is a little smaller there than it is at either Aloha Warehouse or Ukulele Source, but the people are knowledgeable and they often have used ukuleles that are in great shape, and you can view Gryphon's inventory on its website.

I can vouch for both Aloha Warehouse and Ukulele Source, having been to both. Both sell high end ukuleles like Kamakas, but both also sell lower end ukuleles as well. If you're going to drive from San Francisco to San Jose, you could stop at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. The ukulele selection is a little smaller there than it is at either Aloha Warehouse or Ukulele Source, but the people are knowledgeable and they often have used ukuleles that are in great shape, and you can view Gryphon's inventory on its website.

I remember first going to Gryphon Strings to check out `ukuleles around 15 years ago, before either Aloha Warehouse or Ukulele Source were around. The people there were always friendly and knowledgeable.

Top Bottom