Brilliant or Overkill?

AC Baltimore

Reaction score

Overkill. The top makes the sound, not the back.

I don't remember who, but one of our fellow UU members was praising the merits of the Tone Gard he had commissioned for his uke. In essence, it does the same thing as what is shown in the video and he swore it might a big difference.

I think it's very cool! That uke sounds great, and I love the way you played that song. It does look sort of odd, though... how do you get it in a case?

I don't really get this idea... why not go for the richer sound of a tenor or a super concert with that sized fretboard. If you like the "plinky" Hawaiian sound a super concert seems like a better idea... with a richer tone and more options musically. I'm not dissing soprano... I like it in it's own right. But this thing is like a Mustang with a four cylinder engine. Not that bigger is better... but it just seems silly.

Just my opinion. If you like it, go for it!

Last edited:

Maybe for Torres' papier-mâché, but if that were true, my Maples would sound exactly like my Milo, and Koa. For reference, they all sound different, project different, and have different volumes.

BTW, I've worked through my designs specifically to have the instruments carry resonant backs, which go away if played pressed close against the body. Here's the thing, if you're going to spend over $2k on an instrument, and the builder tells you how the instrument reacts to technique, your probably going to adjust, rather than do the thing on the video.

Of course, I may be wrong.

-Aaron

seems like overkill to me, but different strokes...

Moreover though I just love that song, "Never Going Back" is one of my all time faves and I've never heard it on a ukulele before. Better get a couple of low G strings and learn it. That was awesome.

nice idea, but sometimes adjusting the pressure by holding the uke closer to your body or leaving off that pressure a bit can really extend the different tones and inflections you can apply to a piece of music, but if pure volume is all you are after then its brilliant.

using a strap can make it easier to have that bit of distance between you and the uke too.

Last edited:
I think it's very cool! That uke sounds great, and I love the way you played that song. It does look sort of odd, though... how do you get it in a case?

Just a small clarification. AC Baltimore is not the fellow playing the long neck Ohana in the video. The fellow playing goes by the name of "Jinfuuu" on YouTube. He is a very talented musician. Here is a link to his YouTube channel for those who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jinfuuu?blend=1&ob=0

The thing on the back is identical in principle to the Tone Gard. While the top is the main contributing surface, a freely vibrating back DOES allow more volume and different tone than that from an instrument whose back is wedged against a fat guy's middle.

Trust me on this. I AM that fat guy, and I've been using Tone Gards on my mandolins for years. They work.

The thing on the back is identical in principle to the Tone Gard. While the top is the main contributing surface, a freely vibrating back DOES allow more volume and different tone than that from an instrument whose back is wedged against a fat guy's middle.

Trust me on this. I AM that fat guy, and I've been using Tone Gards on my mandolins for years. They work.

Do they work for skinny guys too...??? I AM that skinny guy...!!! Hee! Hee! Hee! Just trying to be funny...!!!

I wouldn't bother, personally. I find it useful to use body dampening while playing. You can do a lot of expressive things once you get the hang of it. Plus, is it the recording/youtube audio alteration, or am I hearing a big buzz coming off it? Great playing on a the tune, too, BTW. Dig it!

Top Bottom