Mahogany and western red cedar combo any good?

I made a uke with that combo, for my good mate BaronK. Actually I've put two soundboards on it since he fell on it and totalled the top.

Check out his vids, BaronK69 on youtube. It's the most played of all my builds. When he gigs out he has his Kiwaya in the case if a string would break on the Argapa. But the Argapa is louder and better sounding.

So I say go for it, but be prepared to bind the top and choose a good finish that protects the soft cedar.

Sven

I just finished a myrtle/wrcedar tenor for a friend and was really happy with the outcome. Very warm and sweet with nice clear highs and loud. It is the first WRC I have done. This is it next to my wife's smaller bodied tenor.

IMG_3188.JPGIMG_3185.JPG

I made a uke with that combo, for my good mate BaronK. Actually I've put two soundboards on it since he fell on it and totalled the top.

Check out his vids, BaronK69 on youtube. It's the most played of all my builds. When he gigs out he has his Kiwaya in the case if a string would break on the Argapa. But the Argapa is louder and better sounding.

So I say go for it, but be prepared to bind the top and choose a good finish that protects the soft cedar.

Sven

thanks Sven for the insight and my gosh golly, that uke looked sexy and sounded pretty swell. i guess i have a double date with the bandsaw and the billets tonight

The ukuleles that we built in Rick Turner's class at the Crucible used western red cedar for soundboards, with mahogany neck, back, and sides.

It seems that more often than not I get a request for an instrument with a WRC top. Great wood, especially with nylon strings.

Be really careful when working with it. Just giving it a stern glare seems to put a ding in it.

Be really careful when working with it. Just giving it a stern glare seems to put a ding in it.
I'll chime in as well....love the sound, but take heed to Allen's warning regarding the dings. Once it is thicknessed, I make sure that it never rests on anything harder than a bath towel. My "keeper" uke sounds great, but has a slight ding on the top that came from simply placing it on a small chip of wood that was on my workbench after the top wood came out of the sander. Every time I notice the ding...lesson learned.

Top Bottom